AJ Hinch: does it matter to you that he cheated?

Kyyle23

Your opinion  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Does it matter to you that AJ Hinch was the manager of a team that was exposed for cheating, and was fired and banned for a year?

• Yes, absolute deal breaker. I will not follow the team if he is hired
    • Yes, it will bother me a lot. But I will still watch because I love the team
    • Doesn't bother me at all, I really would like if he was hired

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hiring Hinch would give the Sox a ton of positive attention. It is a headlining signing and one that elevates us to that next level in most people's minds. 

It could also be a huge distraction given his ties to the Astros.

3 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Say no to hinch. If he couldn't put a stop to it then he has no control over his team. Don't need the negative attention

I think that most likely Hinch was just riding the coattails of the Astros and all the love they were getting in the media.  For a while, when the Astros FO members took shits in the field, the media plucked them from the grass and held them to their noses.  Hinch was axed in AZ pretty much right after getting his first managerial job.  He was a guy who was like a "find" that now got to ride those coattails and pick up a paycheck.  The Astros were "building his brand" after his "brand" took a huge hit.  I bet he was just sitting back trying to let things happen, let his value increase, and try not to do anything to harm his career.

It really takes a pair of balls to be in the position AJ Hinch was in and go tell it on the mountain.  Maybe many other managers wouldn't have had balls like that either in the same situation.  Regardless, we know he has no balls, and I want a man with some sack managing this team.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I'd love Girardi.  I thought he was one of the most respectful managers in baseball and definitely respectable himself and he kept a tight ship.  He is a guy who has "made mistakes" purely on the field, and has apologized for them and admitted them.  But he lives baseball and I would be definitely on board with that.

The Phillies rebuild basically never ended.  It just kind of paused and went to contention and now they're at a point where it's like they should continue their rebuilding process but without a guy like Sixto.  Their owner is a big meddler also.  Maybe we can send them Ruiz and Flores in a deal for Girardi.  Both are on the roster bubble and is a better deal than what we got in return for Ozzie.  Obviously the Phillies only make that move if they think they would be better off without Girardi but again, their owner is a meddler, so maybe there would be a chance.

Yea I don't know how it would work but if he's looking for a better chance to win Chicago is def the place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stinky Stanky said:

And a teeny tiny bit of negative attention?  Ya think?

Again, he is a manager. No one will care after the first week of the season with the exception of when he plays in Houston or LA. Ricky being an awful game manager was a much bigger distraction for this team. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Joe Girardi and Joe Maddon didn’t exactly have the effect their teams were anticipating.

Joe did a very good job with the Rays and Cubs. The Angels were starting to play well before the season ended. I anticipate they will compete for a playoff spot next year if they stay healthy. 

How does his baggage impact this young team?  Does the past scandal hang over the Sox org?  How does his level of involvement in the scheme impact/influence how he manages now?  If he is the Sox choice I care more about these things.  

I think the whole Houston organization got off easy, but there is nothing I can do about it.   I’m not here to root for the manager and there have been plenty of Sox managers I haven’t liked.  I don’t have to be a fan of the man.  If Hinch does a good job and they win with zero hint of any past shenanigans, I think his past for the most part fades away. 

Edited by SouthWallace

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

imagine a sox player getting busted for peds, some of you guys would be twisting yourselves into knots telling us why you still support them, that they just made a mistake, the mental gymnastics would be amazing 

I picked option two fwiw

Like Grandal?

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

imagine a sox player getting busted for peds, some of you guys would be twisting yourselves into knots telling us why you still support them, that they just made a mistake, the mental gymnastics would be amazing 

I picked option two fwiw

There would be no twisting for me. I would still support the guy unequivocally. I wouldn't blame a guy for roiding and potentially earning millions or tens of millions more because of it. 

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic