AJ Hinch: does it matter to you that he cheated?

Kyyle23

Your opinion  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Does it matter to you that AJ Hinch was the manager of a team that was exposed for cheating, and was fired and banned for a year?

• Yes, absolute deal breaker. I will not follow the team if he is hired
    • Yes, it will bother me a lot. But I will still watch because I love the team
    • Doesn't bother me at all, I really would like if he was hired

18 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

In a sport where domestic abusers get second chances, being involved in cheating doesn’t even rate. It would bother me a bit, but I would get over it.

Yeah I have to say that La Russa's persistent drunk driving gave me more of a visceral reaction than Hinch. 

BUT - I'd prefer they go elsewhere.

Someone is going to hire Hinch (and Cora for that matter), and maybe it will be the Sox.  Whoever hires him will be questioned - by the media, by the fans of that team, by fans in general.  Cheating aside, Hinch has proven himself to be a very good manager and will most likely be a great manager for a new team.  He knows that he has to rebuild his reputation, and he also knows that managing a young, exciting team will be a good way to do that.

There will be some noise early on; right after the hiring, before the season starts, and early in the season.  But driving a team to success will go a long way to make people forget (or at least forgive).  The Sox are really close to being a perennial contender and force within baseball.  They need the right person at the helm to get them there.  If Hinch is the right guy, he should be hired.

• Love 2

In a perfect world I’d go in a different direction, but my question comes back to who is actually a better candidate than Hinch that will also be available?  I don’t see a lot of other proven major league managers with post-season success and a willingness to leverage analytics that are sitting around looking for jobs.  Candidly speaking I’m tired of going with a first time manager and am willing to consider Hinch assuming he has the right answers in his interview.  If he’s far & away the best candidate post interviews, then we need to do what’s best for the organization and go with Hinch.  If someone else is close, then I’d go with the candidate with less baggage.  Either way, he need to get this right and that means Hahn has to properly weigh the pro’s & con’s of a Hinch hiring.  We really can’t afford to fuck this up.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

In a perfect world I’d go in a different direction, but my question comes back to who is actually a better candidate than Hinch that will also be available?  I don’t see a lot of other proven major league managers with post-season success and a willingness to leverage analytics that are sitting around looking for jobs.  Candidly speaking I’m tired of going with a first time manager and am willing to consider Hinch assuming he has the right answers in his interview.  If he’s far & away the best candidate post interviews, then we need to do what’s best for the organization and go with Hinch.  If someone else is close, then I’d go with the candidate with less baggage.  Either way, he need to get this right and that means Hahn has to properly weigh the pro’s & con’s of a Hinch hiring.  We really can’t afford to fuck this up.

I'm fine with a first time manager if we stop treating the manager as the single decisionmaker on what happens on the field. Cash, Baldelli were first-year guys who are part of a system. Hinch was more successful when part of a system, that he knows what that should be like is a plus. If we hired a Quatraro and asked him to be a buck showalter, mike scioscia type manager we will be in the same situation.

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

In a sport where domestic abusers get second chances, being involved in cheating doesn’t even rate. It would bother me a bit, but I would get over it.

This is where I'm at as well. Should the punishment have been harsher? Yes. Is he in a sports where guys who do a lot worse in society get second (third, fourth) chances? Yes. Will I suspect the team of cheating going forward if they hired him? No. At the end of the day, is it just a game with no real serious impacts in life? Yep. If you feel he is the best candidate, bring him in.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I still think there is an agreement with the Indians for Francona and the younger fella managing in A ball (won't even try and spell his name) is going to be groomed with Francona to take over from him.

The Hinch and Cora thing makes sense but is out of character for the White Sox but who knows. 

I think everyone wanting Francona needs to consider that he sat out this entire season with heart and blood clotting issues.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang it up, he has already talked a little bit about retiring

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think everyone wanting Francona needs to consider that he sat out this entire season with heart and blood clotting issues.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang it up, he has already talked a little bit about retiring

I've been very confused by the suggestions of managers still under contract with other teams. But yeah, Tito should hang it up at least until CV is mitigated.

Abreu and other seasoned vets were provided an opportunity to discuss the team and their needs prior to the trade deadline... I’m sure they may have some say in who they’d like the next manager to be. For all we know, their voice led to RR being let go in the first place. They aren’t driving to boat, but I’m sure there is some synergy between the players and FO.

So which was the greater crime against baseball humanity - Hinch’s involvement with the Houston cheating scandal, or Ozzie quitting on the team back at the end of 2011?  I only ask because several posters throughout the years have stated that Guillen quitting the way he did pretty much disqualified him from ever returning in that capacity. 

Meanwhile, it seems the breadth of the cheating scandal was far worse, particularly in that it led to all of the suspensions and other punishments.  For me, at least for now, it feels like a dealbreaker, but I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to get over it since it appears the guy will be the next manager.  

Chicago White Sox - Home for Wayward AJ’s!!

24 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

670 posed this WHAT IF question this AM... If Hinch is your Manager, Bauer won't play for you.  If the price is right on Bauer - Do you sign Bauer and hire a different Manager?

Also, if the Sox do hire Hinch... they're the new bad boys of the MLB. 

outside of Mike Trout or even Mookie (and even then it's not very wise) I wouldn't let 1 player dictate the choice of manager.

It wouldn't be the worse thing to get a bad boy edge. Time to overtake Minny in the ALC and beyond. 

21 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

So which was the greater crime against baseball humanity - Hinch’s involvement with the Houston cheating scandal, or Ozzie quitting on the team back at the end of 2011?  I only ask because several posters throughout the years have stated that Guillen quitting the way he did pretty much disqualified him from ever returning in that capacity. 

Meanwhile, it seems the breadth of the cheating scandal was far worse, particularly in that it led to all of the suspensions and other punishments.  For me, at least for now, it feels like a dealbreaker, but I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to get over it since it appears the guy will be the next manager.  

Chicago White Sox - Home for Wayward AJ’s!!

Cheating is better than quitting IMO.  Once a guy shows he’s capable of putting himself over the team, he can never be your manager again.

49 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

670 posed this WHAT IF question this AM... If Hinch is your Manager, Bauer won't play for you.  If the price is right on Bauer - Do you sign Bauer and hire a different Manager?

Also, if the Sox do hire Hinch... they're the new bad boys of the MLB. 

Hahn should be fired on the spot if he picks or avoids a manager in order to sign a player.   

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ozzie quit....on the White Sox. AJ Hinch cheated for the Astros. That's the big difference. It didn't happen here. Right or wrong, that's a gigantic point. 

Additionally, and what seems to be forgotten by some....AJ Hinch was punished for his crime. The players weren't. Hinch served his time, and the suspension is over. You can still be upset for what he did and that's perfectly understandable. But MLB has said he is free to be hired by any team that wants him. Ozzie was never "punished" for his malfeasance, and I think in a lot of ways him not getting another shot at manager here is sort of the punishment. 

In fact, he was immediately rewarded for it

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ozzie quit....on the White Sox. AJ Hinch cheated for the Astros. That's the big difference. It didn't happen here. Right or wrong, that's a gigantic point. 

Additionally, and what seems to be forgotten by some....AJ Hinch was punished for his crime. The players weren't. Hinch served his time, and the suspension is over. You can still be upset for what he did and that's perfectly understandable. But MLB has said he is free to be hired by any team that wants him. Ozzie was never "punished" for his malfeasance, and I think in a lot of ways him not getting another shot at manager here is sort of the punishment. 

Ozzie then also told a massive Cuban population that Fidel Castro was the shit.

That's not exactly...morally great.

• Tony unpinned this topic