Evaluating rick Hahn as of after 2020

Dominikk85

What is your opinion about his job the last couple years and especially this year? 

The positives: 

1)he built a great core by trades. Yeah he had a head start with the talent he could trade away but still he built a great core and the sale and especially the quintana trades were big wins, as was the Eaton trade. Yeah he had the tatis trade but so what, nobody in the industry saw it coming so shut up about that

2) he didn't make stupid trades of top prospects but kept the core together, would have been really stupid to trade Vaughn, Robert or madrigal but he was patient despite fans getting pissed at him that the rebuild takes too long

3) international signing

The Sox didn't do much on the Dominican market except for the who shall not be named but the Cuban signings really were spectacular with Abreu and Robert. The Cuban connection remains a strength of the front office albeit the Domenican connection could stand an overhaul 

The negatives:

1) I think generally he was not active enough in trades. He really needed to make a trade for an SP at the deadline. I think it is good he didn't trade the top guys but if you look at the top analytical GMs like the rays, As, dodgers or Astros they do a lot of trades for their second rate prospects and they still maintain a good farm. Hahn keeping his minor league depth looks great in prospect lists but he let many guys rot in the minors until they lost all their value and that soon could happen to Rutherford and others too. 

Mixed:

1) the draft

Vaughn and madrigal look solid but really they were top4 guys and high floor college guys so they should look good. Other then them it doesn't look so great since the sale draft.

2) free agent signings

The veteran signings like EE generally did not work at all for the Sox. I still wouldn't call it bad though as he simply wasn't able to spend much. Grandal and keuchel looked good so far but of course it was only the first year of not so young players so we need to wait and see. 

3) he tried to modernize the team bringing in data guys like lisle and johanssen for hitting even if not everyone worked out.  Sox still  are at best middle of the pack in player dev and analytics but that is a big step up already. Still of course they are not nearly on top here and in their own division while not as bad as the tigers and royals they are clearly behind the Indians and also the twins. Hahn did a good job at improving it but the twins started that modernization process later and clearly shot past the Sox in that regard so change is not as radical as it could be. Maybe that changes with the Cooper firing and the Sox go full driveline instead of the typical in house promotion. 

I would overall give him a B- to c+ grade. Most important is he didn't mess up the rebuild but he could have invested more this season without ruinning the farm. 

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, Buehrle5687 said:

A- so far, but this offseason is big. He’s gotta land a TOR SP and a RF that hits righties.

A trade for SP at the deadline this year didn’t make a ton of sense. Imagine giving up a couple promising young players and then the season ends up cancelled. 

100% agree with this.  The roster is more or less complete outside of four or five spots.  We can no longer afford sub replacement level players in key spots.  No more excuses...Rick has to start hitting on his free agent signings.  And landing a TOR starter is far & away the most critical goal of the offseason.  IMO, if he doesn’t find a way to land that type of arm then I think he deserves an F.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree with this.  The roster is more or less complete outside of four or five spots.  We can no longer afford sub replacement level players in key spots.  No more excuses...Rick has to start hitting on his free agent signings.  And landing a TOR starter is far & away the most critical goal of the offseason.  IMO, if he doesn’t find a way to land that type of arm then I think he deserves an F.

I don't think you can expect him to get a star in this economy. 

If he gets a 2 war RF, a decent reliever to replace colome (maybe colome himself) and a good 3rd starter I would be fine with that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think the only big mistake was not trading for a SP this deadline. 

Yeah it was only year one but it still is about one sixt of the window and sometimes year one is the year, maybe they end up like the dodgers as a 3 time WS runner up. 

Not saying he should have traded Vaughn but he should have unloaded guys like basabe, Rutherford, sheets and adolfo who likely will lose all their value anyway soon. 

33 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think the only big mistake was not trading for a SP this deadline. 

Yeah it was only year one but it still is about one sixt of the window and sometimes year one is the year, maybe they end up like the dodgers as a 3 time WS runner up. 

Not saying he should have traded Vaughn but he should have unloaded guys like basabe, Rutherford, sheets and adolfo who likely will lose all their value anyway soon. 

But if they're likely to lose their value soon, who would want to give up a quality pitcher for them?  This was a weird deadline.  More contenders than normal, so less sellers.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Buehrle5687 said:

But if they're likely to lose their value soon, who would want to give up a quality pitcher for them?  This was a weird deadline.  More contenders than normal, so less sellers.

Obviously you are not getting a young tor, but maybe a solid 3 with 1-2 years like Dylan bundy

I like rick and overall would give him a B+ in his tenure.  

His biggest success and impact has been getting multiple guys to sign team friendly extensions early.  This paid huge dividends with sale and quintana and were the reasons that we got such a good package of prospects back.  Hes done the same with tim, yo, eloy, and robert giving arguably the best core of position players to build around for the next 6 years.  

Trades at the major league level and free agency have been the biggest issues.  Samardja, shields, and to an extent mazara turned out to be awful trades, and i think they made him gun shy this deadline to trade lower level prospects for help.  Free agents have been a real mixed bag.  Keuchel and yaz though have been good.  

Major bonus points for firing rickey too

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Like 2

I’d give him a C to this point.

The three big trades are what is keeping hope alive that this will be an A+ in a year or two. 

His free agents signings usually flop. A majority of his other trades haven’t panned out. And several drafts provided nothing. 

But the three trades and a new coaching staff may allow him to be a Southside hero. 

PS. He has been able to assemble some decent bullpens seemingly out of thin air

13 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I like rick and overall would give him a B+ in his tenure.  

His biggest success and impact has been getting multiple guys to sign team friendly extensions early.  This paid huge dividends with sale and quintana and were the reasons that we got such a good package of prospects back.  Hes done the same with tim, yo, eloy, and robert giving arguably the best core of position players to build around for the next 6 years.  

Trades at the major league level and free agency have been the biggest issues.  Samardja, shields, and to an extent mazara turned out to be awful trades, and i think they made him gun shy this deadline to trade lower level prospects for help.  Free agents have been a real mixed bag.  Keuchel and yaz though have been good.  

Major bonus points for firing rickey too

Yeah those contracts were really big, maybe it helps he is a lawyer in that regard. 

I agree about being gun shy trading the second line prospects. I'm not saying you should trade all depth but sometimes you have to trade depth for quality like the dodgers and rays do a lot. 

Maybe Hahn here really is a bit afraid to trade away another tatis. 

Imo the solution to this is easy: don't trade away the 17-20 year Olds but the guys who are 21+ or only 1 year away from rule 5 (and lower than 50 fv of course) . Those are the guys who are unlikely to make a big jump unless they are 50+ already and if you just keep them they often lose value. If you sell high on those guys after a good year in the minors (like Luis Gonzalez after 2018) you can maximize their value. 

I don't think there is steps to this. Almost no team wins multiple championships (only red Sox, Yankees and giants in the last 30 years) and you don't know which year of the window you are going to make it. See what happened to the supposed cubs dynasty. 

I'm not suggesting to shorten the window but is equally stupid to waste a year of the window while it is already open and the clock is already ticking. 

I'm not suggesting Hahn is doing that but really there is no step plan to a championship, all prospects except for Vaughn and Kopech are up and there is no next wave coming, those are the guys you build around. 

Guys like sheets and Rutherford are losing value every day and it makes no sense to keep them. 

I think those guys really need to be traded this offseason or at the deadline or their value drops to zero. 

Edited by Dominikk85

39 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't think there is steps to this. Almost no team wins multiple championships (only red Sox, Yankees and giants in the last 30 years) and you don't know which year of the window you are going to make it. See what happened to the supposed cubs dynasty. 

I'm not suggesting to shorten the window but is equally stupid to waste a year of the window while it is already open and the clock is already ticking. 

I'm not suggesting Hahn is doing that but really there is no step plan to a championship, all prospects except for Vaughn and Kopech are up and there is no next wave coming, those are the guys you build around. 

Guys like sheets and Rutherford are losing value every day and it makes no sense to keep them. 

I think those guys really need to be traded this offseason or at the deadline or their value drops to zero. 

There are steps to giving him a grade. Goals Hahn himself often talks about. Until he reaches those goals that he set forth as to the reasons why they did the rebuild how can he be graded ? Sure you can grade him on early stages of the rebuild but his grade is incomplete until he reaches some of the goals he made and talks about constantly otherwise the rebuild was a failure. Anything but sustained success, making the playoffs in multiple consecutive years or 75%+ of the next 5 seasons and at least 1 Championship and he deserves an F . Reinsdorf also would deserve an F because he controls the purse strings. It's hard to talk about Hahn if his hands are tightly bound.

2012-2016: F-

2017-2019: B+

2020: B

2021: A+ (Cooper and Ricky)

Will be able to evaluate his tenure at the end, and hope it does include division titles and at least one AL Pennant / World Series win.

The next 3-5 years will determine whether he can build a team capable of competing for a title, he has a few years to build a staff capable of competing. His moves his first four years were mostly bad, Keuchel was a good signing, time will tell if Grandal can work well with Giolito and others.

His two main avenues to build this team,  an open international free agent bidding process (Abreu and Robert) and tanking trades (Eloy, Giolito, Moncada) are not available at this point. Anderson is the one outstanding draft pick so far at the ML level, though his recent picks look promising (Madrigal, Vaughn and Crochet).

• Like 1