Tony La Russa

jaws7575

Look at the bright side. If Tony takes the job and leads us to a dynasty, the Sox will have righted a wrong. He'll still be a Hall of Famer, but with 2-3 more WS titles before he turns 80. Sox have the talent. He can make sure Hahn adds the right pieces. Say what you want about analytics and how Hahn is smart with analytics; Tony not so much.

Hmmmm ... Sox have a lot of holes Mr. Hahn has no plan right now expressed on how to fill them. Analytics aren't helping complete the deal on this rebuild. Tony can tell him what he needs to win it all in 2021, 22 and 23. I think we all would like 3 world series appearances in a row and hopefully win 2 titles. At least 1 in the next 3 years, hopefully 2.

It will take more than analytics to win. LaRussa has the pull to demand the pieces get filled. Right??

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

So if Tony does accept the job, does everyone think the Sox aggressively go after upgrades this offseason?  I’m optimistic they go big based off Jerry wanting to put TLR in the best position and this tweet 

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone/status/1317295249291497475

They need to go big regardless of who is hired.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

So if Tony does accept the job, does everyone think the Sox aggressively go after upgrades this offseason?  I’m optimistic they go big based off Jerry wanting to put TLR in the best position and this tweet 

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone/status/1317295249291497475

It sounds like you want the Sox to hire TLR. Why? 

It just occurred to me that anyone who’s upset about Hinch and cheating might want to look at LaRussa’s tenure with the A’s.  That whole team was roiding.  I remember McGwire was out for like a year and a half with a foot thing. He came off the DL and after 18 months off he was way better hitter. Suddenly he could get to the high fastball.  Everyone knew they were juicing, but baseball didn’t care.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I agree with the notion that Jerry would spend  if TLR is the manager. Tony probably can convince him better than anyone. He probably will also want to make sure that he justifies the hiring and puts them in a position to win.

If that’s what it takes to get a TOR and a solid RF. I may be on board. But regardless of the hire, it should Obviously be the priority.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Tony La Russa is the next manager of the White Sox, Rick Hahn should resign immediately. 

What if it’s a one year deal for Tony with a “manager in waiting” that Hahn has wanted to bring in but doesn’t have enough experience?

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Tony La Russa is the next manager of the White Sox, Rick Hahn should resign immediately. 

Y2JO:   Hahn has no leverage and realistically he knows that the Sox would not miss a beat if he quit.  I am enjoying the suspense created  be the mere suggestion that JR might be meeting with LaRussa.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

It just occurred to me that anyone who’s upset about Hinch and cheating might want to look at LaRussa’s tenure with the A’s.  That whole team was roiding.  I remember McGwire was out for like a year and a half with a foot thing. He came off the DL and after 18 months off he was way better hitter. Suddenly he could get to the high fastball.  Everyone knew they were juicing, but baseball didn’t care.

That was also at a time when most of the league was starting to juice.  Also the league turned a blind eye to it because they needed the fans to come back to the game.  I'm no fan of the steroid era, but it's hard to compare the two wrongs on equal footing.  Not saying it was right, but there is a slight difference between what happened back then with a huge chunk of the league and one team cheating to win.

Wow. Tony LaRussa is a HOF Legend. Hearing of this possibility gives me goosebumps.

Jack McKeon won a World Series at 72. George Halas’ first and last titles were 42 years apart. Connie Mack managed until 87. 

LaRussa’s built a legacy on being forward-thinking and outwitting his adversaries. Jim Leyland is on record calling him the GOAT. 

LaRussa’s as sharp as they come. He’s stayed up to speed on the sport. And he’s refreshed and refueled.

This all feels surreal to me. I hope it’s true. This organization is about to take us on a magic carpet ride if they pull this off. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Wow. Tony LaRussa is a HOF Legend. Hearing of this possibility gives me goosebumps.

Jack McKeon won a World Series at 72. George Halas’ first and last titles were 42 years apart. Connie Mack managed until 87. 

LaRussa’s built a legacy on being forward-thinking and outwitting his adversaries. Jim Leyland is on record calling him the GOAT. 

LaRussa’s as sharp as they come. He’s stayed up to speed on the sport. And he’s refreshed and refueled.

This all feels surreal to me. I hope it’s true. This organization is about to take us on a magic carpet ride if they pull this off. 

Wow I didn’t know Tony Larussa’s mother is still alive. You must be so proud 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The umpires had a bigger impact on the White Sox win % in the playoffs than the Manager did.

My point is essentially the Sox over performed - you will justify that performance as solely a representation of PD and career years and etc. Ricky didn't make optimal game decisions late in the season, but those decisions direct impact on the game is smaller than what it is represented as here. For example, in a 3-3 game in the 7th there were 42+ opportunities to do something prior, just counting outs, and there were multiple AB's with RISP, or multiple errors that put them in the spot; maybe a missed signed, or etc... you get the point.

A game in which Renteria puts the wrong reliever in during the 8th, when the game is tied or Sox are up 1, but Madrigal made 2 errors early that led to 3 runs was not a game that Renteria "lost." And this is exactly where the idea that a manager loses all these games is nonsense. The Manager made an ERROR just like a player did. A certain amount of errors and that leads to an increase in expected runs against or decrease in runs for; enough of those added up and it can equal a win. A manager might impact some runs over the season, but he DIDN't lose the game in those games. The players had many more opportunities than the manager to make a difference, and they simply didn't get it done. The biggest difference too is that a managing error - even when egregious - isn't worth a whole run like a fielding error or baserunning gaffe. It's putting a guy who is 6% more likely to give up a hit, or 8% more likely to allow a run to score. It's not like the choice is between a guy with a .100 BAA and a guy with a .600 BAA. Renteria made a lot of errors down the stretch.

Serious question, do you actually watch the games?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaws7575 said:

kyyle23 your a hypercrite --thought we were not allowed to post negative or insulting things about other posters-nice if you lived by your own lmao -and secondly I was the first one to come up with a post about Tony- clean your glasses

Jaws I honestly don't give a fuck what you think 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, fathom said:

What if it’s a one year deal for Tony with a “manager in waiting” that Hahn has wanted to bring in but doesn’t have enough experience?

I would like to believe that the team would prefer stability in the manager role in their contention window rather than more turnover and 3 different voices in 3 seasons? Doesn't seem like an optimal situation to put the players in. 

• Like 1