Tony La Russa

jaws7575

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nah, we should totally let racists beliefs be. No one gets hurt by it.

My butt hurts cuz it's so hard. This country has seen the enemy. NFL fans can't pay lip service to 70% of their heroes. 

On 10/14/2020 at 4:50 AM, jaws7575 said:

One of my all-time favorite sox teams is the 83 white  sox, makes me feel old. If it was not that goof messing up on the base path the sox would won and Hoyt pitching next game they win and are world series  bound ughhhhhhh.  I am one of Tony's fan . If this was ten years I would say yes. I have a lot of reservations if this is a real option. One he has not managed in 9 years-the game has changed. His age is my real concern  would he up with all the travel this year and beyond? This team has a good 5 year window and I do not want a lot of with the manager spot. My honest question is tony a viable option? My first pick I think is Hinch .My heart is with Tony but common sense says no.

You lost me with the “goof” comment and how they would win because Hoyt and blah blah. Cannot take the rest of this post seriously. 

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its sad that you think it isn't, especially with what LaRussa has said and done during his major league history.

Heres a bit of advice, when you look for evil everywhere, thats all youll find.

flat out sad that you believe his stance on the issue is based on racism, and not patriotism.  Further a rejection of the BLM message or propaganda that blacks are being hunted or disproportionately victimized does not mean someone is racist. Its very clear based on your history of posts on this and other topics that you automatically assume the worst about someone when they have different opinions than you. Thats what i find sad. 

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox1917 said:

flat out sad that you believe his stance on the issue is based on racism, and not patriotism.  Further a rejection of the BLM message or propaganda that blacks are being hunted or disproportionately victimized does not mean someone is racist. Its very clear based on your history of posts on this and other topics that you automatically assume the worst about someone when they have different opinions than you. Thats what i find sad. 

Read up on Tony LaRussas history on these topics and explain to me how incident after incident doesn't add up to anything in your eyes. It isn't once. It isn't twice. It's a history. For some that history doesn't seem like a bad thing, and actually buy into his way of thinking, and how easily it has been mobilized to set a faction of the USA against the black population of this country.  It's the same playbook that has been utilized for centuries now, but people keep lapping it up. Code words, stereotypes,  fear of large groups of black people, etc. Gets you pointing the finger at them instead of hearing their anger and fears.  Yeah, when it comes to an issue like this, I am not going to pretend to respect people who utilize racism to further themselves politically,  and those who lap it up at their boots. TLR has a history here. And it extensively put him on the other side of the black athletes.  It isn't even just the anthem either.  If don't want to see it, you never will. Let's face it, when MLK wrote his letter about the white moderate, the letter was meant for the 60s, but it is timeless. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

Hadn’t thought of this...

Original Article

The Hall of Fame can only hope this flirtation between Chicago White Sox board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and his former manager Tony La Russa turns out to be nothing more than a consultation about other managers between two old friends and that La Russa wouldn’t seriously come out of retirement, at age 76, to take the helm of the White Sox. If that did become the case, it would be a direct slap in the face to the Hall of Fame, and the Veterans Committee which elected La Russa along fellow managers Joe Torre and Bobby Cox in 2013.

It would also make La Russa look like a hypocrite. “I wouldn’t be happy with myself if I came back to move up one more spot,” he said when he retired in 2011, 35 wins shy of John McGraw for second on the all-time list. “You finish where you finish and John McGraw is a legendary figure. I kind of like that he’s second.” … If La Russa needs any perspective on this, there is Tommy Lasorda to consider.

A couple of years after his Hall of Fame induction in 1997, Lasorda started talking about coming out of retirement to manage the Dodgers again, only to get a phone call from Yogi Berra, who’d been a member of the Veterans Committee that elected him. “We voted you in,” Yogi said, firmly. “You’re not gonna embarrass us by managing again.”

The rules for election to the Baseball Hall of Fame are strict in the sense that candidates must be evaluated on their complete careers. It is the reason for the five-year waiting period for players to appear on the Baseball Writers ballot, and the requirements that former managers and executives be either 65 or older or officially retired before being considered by the Veterans Committee.

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

Original Article

The Hall of Fame can only hope this flirtation between Chicago White Sox board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and his former manager Tony La Russa turns out to be nothing more than a consultation about other managers between two old friends and that La Russa wouldn’t seriously come out of retirement, at age 76, to take the helm of the White Sox. If that did become the case, it would be a direct slap in the face to the Hall of Fame, and the Veterans Committee which elected La Russa along fellow managers Joe Torre and Bobby Cox in 2013.

It would also make La Russa look like a hypocrite. “I wouldn’t be happy with myself if I came back to move up one more spot,” he said when he retired in 2011, 35 wins shy of John McGraw for second on the all-time list. “You finish where you finish and John McGraw is a legendary figure. I kind of like that he’s second.” … If La Russa needs any perspective on this, there is Tommy Lasorda to consider.

A couple of years after his Hall of Fame induction in 1997, Lasorda started talking about coming out of retirement to manage the Dodgers again, only to get a phone call from Yogi Berra, who’d been a member of the Veterans Committee that elected him. “We voted you in,” Yogi said, firmly. “You’re not gonna embarrass us by managing again.”

The rules for election to the Baseball Hall of Fame are strict in the sense that candidates must be evaluated on their complete careers. It is the reason for the five-year waiting period for players to appear on the Baseball Writers ballot, and the requirements that former managers and executives be either 65 or older or officially retired before being considered by the Veterans Committee.

I thought of this as soon as soon I heard TLR was being considered.  When LaSorda was inducted they waived the five year rule, making him promise not to end retirement, or words to that effect.  With Tony, he at least waited the customary five years before induction, but the rule is still there.  That is, if you are inducted into the Hall, you stay retired, period, paragraph.

15 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Sad that you believe someone having a negative opinion on kneeling during the anthem is based on racism.  Just plain sad...and ignorant.

The police welcome the white militia with open arms but it doesn't mean that they are racist. Right? 

• Like 1

Back in late 1985, for some reason, the White Sox named Ken Harrelson as GM. JR had one stipulation: Tony LaRussa had to remain as manager.

Harrelson and LaRussa never were the same page. The team got off to a bad start in '86, and Harrelson looked to fire LaRussa. However, the rumors and the whole process took several weeks and played out in the media like a soap opera. The FO looked like a bunch of amateurs. Harrelson should have been allowed to name his own manager, but JR had a weak spot for LaRussa. In the end, the team spent the rest of the decade under .500.

It at least appears that JR still has a soft spot for LaRussa. I am quite aware that JR is the CEO and he makes all final decisions. But I think he should rubber stamp this one. Hahn is the GM; let him make his choice. And that choice should not be Tony LaRussa.

54 minutes ago, Tony said:

Been thinking about this more. Not an original thought but I'm starting to come around to the idea the Sox can win the PR battle on this if they pair Tony with the right guy. I'll be honest that I don't know a ton about Jirschele, but the Sox have done a good job hyping him up over the last few years and it's a name Sox fans seem to be excited about. 

If the Sox want to go outside the box with TLR, they should go all-in on it. Keep Joe McEwing on as bench coach if you want, hire TLR as Manager and name Jirschele "Assistant Manager." Let people know that Tony is the guy right now, but given the "unique" circumstances (Of TLR being 1000 years old), they also need to look to the future and Jirschele is a guy they have incredibly high hopes for. Let Jirschele get his feet wet at the big league level without it all being thrown on him at once. 

I think you can sell that, and I'd be somewhat on board with it all. 

Well said, and I think the most likely scenario right now. I bet we hear Thursday if Tony decides to take the job.

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well said, and I think the most likely scenario right now. I bet we hear Thursday if Tony decides to take the job.

I would be prepared for a somewhat confused and pissed off fan base than. That would throw any credibility that Hahn said in his presser out the door. 

Edited by maloney.adam

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Been thinking about this more. Not an original thought but I'm starting to come around to the idea the Sox can win the PR battle on this if they pair Tony with the right guy. I'll be honest that I don't know a ton about Jirschele, but the Sox have done a good job hyping him up over the last few years and it's a name Sox fans seem to be excited about. 

If the Sox want to go outside the box with TLR, they should go all-in on it. Keep Joe McEwing on as bench coach if you want, hire TLR as Manager and name Jirschele "Assistant Manager." Let people know that Tony is the guy right now, but given the "unique" circumstances (Of TLR being 1000 years old), they also need to look to the future and Jirschele is a guy they have incredibly high hopes for. Let Jirschele get his feet wet at the big league level without it all being thrown on him at once. 

I think you can sell that, and I'd be somewhat on board with it all. 

I think that part of the question is how the rest of the league feels about Jirschele.  If the Sox really feel that highly about his future, and other teams agree, he will likely go elsewhere if the Sox hire Hinch, Cora etc., in that they will have the expectation of being around for a while.  A LaRussa (or Bochy or Sciosia really) hire with a likely short term expiration at least leaves Jirschele with a path to the majors in a reasonable time.

Uh Oh, he mentions La Russa and Bochy as fits but says La Russa told him he’s ready to manage again. Also debunks the idea that if the Sox don’t hire Tony by the end of the World Series, they are waiting for Hinch. He says teams were asked to wait until after the World Series this year to hire anyone.

Edited by Orlando

On 10/17/2020 at 6:01 PM, ChiSox1917 said:

Patriotism? Gmafb. Kap asked a VETERAN what the most respectful way to protest was and the veteran told him kneeling. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think kneeling is anti patriotic or has ANYTHING to do with patriotism. It quite simply doesn't.

Edited by Chisoxmb35

9 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Patriotism? Gmafb. Kap asked a VETERAN what the most respectful way to protest was and the veteran told him kneeling. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think kneeling is anti patriotic or has ANYTHING to do with patriotism. It quite simply doesn't.

Any chance that veteran was wrong?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2020 at 12:26 AM, hi8is said:

Original Article

#ChangeTheGame