Tony La Russa

jaws7575

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Guesstimate as to how many? 3? 5? 10?

I’d say 3-5 including La Russa. They can’t talk to Hinch, Geren or Quatraro yet though. 

23 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Are the other interviews internal guys or from other orgs? 

All external. Pitching coach likely internal though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d say 3-5 including La Russa. They can’t talk to Hinch, Geren or Quatraro yet though. 

Just to point out - Hinch, LaRusa, Geren, Quatraro, Jirschele, Bochy, Fuld - there is zero diversity amongst the list that I'm seeing talked about so far. I would bet that will not be the case in the end.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Just to point out - Hinch, LaRusa, Geren, Quatraro, Jirschele, Bochy, Fuld - there is zero diversity amongst the list that I'm seeing talked about so far. I would bet that will not be the case in the end.

Cora?

18 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

You're arguing the wrong thing. No-one is arguing what is more beneficial.

What I am showing is that THE PLAYERS think that Houston's cheating is the greater crime. And THE PLAYERS hate the video cheating more. And no, it isn't just "pitchers and idiots" that think this.

Whether its steroids or video that is more beneficial is entirely immaterial. It is what potential future employees think that matters.

Were the SOX to hire Hinch, it could impede FA efforts, and make the org one that isn't a preferred destination for players as a result.

bolded, italicized, underlined

we have no way of knowing this without asking the players directly or somebody reporting on it

personally I find it hard to believe that the team that offers the best contract won't sign player X, Y, or Z regardless of who the coaching staff has on it

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Alomar and Cora are also in the mix.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:36 AM, NWINFan said:

My sentiments exactly. The man has been out of baseball for a long time, is 76 years old, and I can't see him relating to the younger player. No LaRussa, No Guillen, in fact no one who has strong ties to the White Sox. Moving forward is right.

You are highly correct, sir.

3 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

personally I find it hard to believe that the team that offers the best contract won't sign player X, Y, or Z regardless of who the coaching staff has on it

Sure, your argument is the equivalent of, "a Porsche 911 will beat a human being in the 1/4 mile." We all already know this to be true.

What if offers are roughly equal from competing teams, as they often are? Would having a known cheat help in recruiting FAs? As we've seen in the Wheeler pursuit, there often are non-monetary reasons for why a player picks one team over another, even with one offer being better (SOX) than another (Mets).

Players won't simply come out and tell the world which managers they hate, for a variety of reasons. But there is a long list of players that have verbalized their hatred of what Houston did; hiring the manager who was either too weak, too stupid, or complicit in the cheating simply can't help in recruiting. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Sure, your argument is the equivalent of, "a Porsche 911 will beat a human being in the 1/4 mile." We all already know this to be true.

What if offers are roughly equal from competing teams, as they often are? Would having a known cheat help in recruiting FAs? As we've seen in the Wheeler pursuit, there often are non-monetary reasons for why a player picks one team over another, even with one offer being better (SOX) than another (Mets).

Players won't simply come out and tell the world which managers they hate, for a variety of reasons. But there is a long list of players that have verbalized their hatred of what Houston did; hiring the manager who was either too weak, too stupid, or complicit in the cheating simply can't help in recruiting. 

I don't really think it's that drastic to be honest.  Belicheck cheated and got caught multiple times and players never had problems going to New England to play because they had a good team and a good chance to win.   

Both Stroman and Bauer have tweeted that they will play for whoever, they don't have preference and have not ruled out any team.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 10:00 AM, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The longer this drags on, the less likely I feel La Russa is going to be the one to get the job. I feel like he would’ve been hired already if he was the guy. I think the rumors surrounding him were just a way to get people more accepting of Hinch’s baggage. They’re probably just stalling until the World Series is over so they can officially “interview” Hinch and make him the manager.

From your lips....

I'd rather Mgr Morse Code than Mgr Juice.

I also like the idea of Brantley and Springer following him to Chicago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GradMc said:

You are highly correct, sir.

Why are you guys so worried about age? Tony can speak Spanish which is pivotal and he's in the Hall of Fame. Nothing wrong with having a grumpy manager once in a while. I still say it's fate. He wins 2 WS with the Sox then bows out and all is right in the world. He never should have been fired by Hawk.

• Like 1

Yea he's supposedly fluent in Spanish, which is a pretty big point in his favor.  That said, he's not my preferred choice.  I'd prefer Jirsch as it would mean the Sox are basically doing what TB does and employ a manager that is good with the guys and will execute the analytics department's strategy in game and with the lineups.  Cash took over when he was 37, still young enough to be "one of the guys".  Same thing with Jirsch.

edit: shit he's only 30.  Might be a bit young still.  Maybe they appoint La Russa the manager with the idea of grooming Jirsch into the job within a couple years.  I'd be alright with that plan.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea he's supposedly fluent in Spanish, which is a pretty big point in his favor.  That said, he's not my preferred choice.  I'd prefer Jirsch as it would mean the Sox are basically doing what TB does and employ a manager that is good with the guys and will execute the analytics department's strategy in game and with the lineups.  Cash took over when he was 37, still young enough to be "one of the guys".  Same thing with Jirsch.

edit: shit he's only 30.  Might be a bit young still.  Maybe they appoint La Russa the manager with the idea of grooming Jirsch into the job within a couple years.  I'd be alright with that plan.

Ha, yeah, Jirschele became manager at 27. Younger than abreu, keuchel, etc.