Jump to content
jaws7575

Tony La Russa

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Got to be Quatraro

There’s another former manager in one of the dugouts as well. 

  • Fire 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There’s another former manager in one of the dugouts as well. 

Robert is probably his given name and his Sir name is near to a color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Robert is probably his given name and his Sir name is near to a color.

Bob Geren 

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got excited for a second and then realized that Ron Washington’s team is out. Has to be Rob Green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There’s another former manager in one of the dugouts as well. 

 

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Bob Geren

Totally forgot he managed the A’s back in the day.  Definitely someone worth talking to if you’re doing a complete interview process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I think we share a lot of agreement on this. I think ultimately whether you agree with players kneeling during the anthem comes down on your perspective, not on whether one side is informed and the other misinformed. There is evidence to support both sides.

what bothers me is when posters, plenty in this thread, take a statement like tonys and blow it up into claiming its a sign hes a racist. Its intellectually dishonest at best, and at worst really speaks to the character of the poster having an incredibly negative outlook of other people. 

i dont agree with those that are kneeling. I acknowledge that many have experienced anecdotal and personal experiences of racism. But i dont agree with the manner of protest, and further, i dont agree that their experiences trump impersonal data and statistics that there is a systemic issue of racism in this country.  But that doesnt mean i think theyre bad people. Its a disagreement. People should be able to discuss these types of disagreements without one side demonizing the other.  

To clarify my stance. I do not think TLR is misinformed because he does not believe kneeling during the anthem is appropriate. I think he is misinformed about another comment he made in addition to it. As Sox fans it is nice to share our views as it adds perspective and knowledge to each of us.

That is why I am glad this thread has not been locked. But as I said in my most recent post, calling someone a racist is a VERY big deal. And as a man of color, I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. People grow up in different situations and are taught different beliefs and I'm okay with that. A racist to me is someone that actively discriminates, puts down, and oppresses because of race. I don't think TLR fits the bill here because I think he is simply an abrasive and outspoken personality to begin with regardless of your race. I think many Sox fans also won't give his comments the benefit of the doubt because they don't want him here at all costs. 

  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Geren is a former catcher, really heavily into analytics and has managing experience. The White Sox have a type in this search outside of one major outlier. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

 

Totally forgot he managed the A’s back in the day.  Definitely someone worth talking to if you’re doing a complete interview process.

He was fired for being awful and replaced by Melvin wasn't he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He was fired for being awful and replaced by Melvin wasn't he? 

.470 winning % after being a long time minor league manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

To clarify my stance. I do not think TLR is misinformed because he does not believe kneeling during the anthem is appropriate. I think he is misinformed about another comment he made in addition to it. As Sox fans it is nice to share our views as it adds perspective and knowledge to each of us.

That is why I am glad this thread has not been locked. But as I said in my most recent post, calling someone a racist is a VERY big deal. And as a man of color, I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. People grow up in different situations and are taught different beliefs and I'm okay with that. A racist to me is someone that actively discriminates, puts down, and oppresses because of race. I don't think TLR fits the bill here because I think he is simply an abrasive and outspoken personality to begin with regardless of your race. I think many Sox fans also won't give his comments the benefit of the doubt because they don't want him here at all costs. 

There was literally nothing intelligent about ChiSox1917's ignorant post filled with inaccuracies and mistruths. The fact that the guy wrote this sentence:

"i dont agree that their experiences trump impersonal data and statistics that there is a systemic issue of racism in this country."

Shows how ignorant and misinformed he is. People that continue to spew this nonsense should not be respected for "having a differing opinion." Their unwillingness to listen is exactly why things haven't improved for so many.

  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

I said it’s either Dave Roberts or Matt Quatraro. The either was the key word. Obviously your too stuck in la la land about TLR to even read my post carefully. I would be all for a Roberts hire but did I say he is a candidate? No, I was only mentioning it as an option or a possibility. 

I wasn't trying to blast you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There’s another former manager in one of the dugouts as well. 

Ah. Yeah I looked at him last week but didn’t see any mentions of him so figured there wasn’t interest in the NL teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tony said:

Been thinking about this more. Not an original thought but I'm starting to come around to the idea the Sox can win the PR battle on this if they pair Tony with the right guy. I'll be honest that I don't know a ton about Jirschele, but the Sox have done a good job hyping him up over the last few years and it's a name Sox fans seem to be excited about. 

If the Sox want to go outside the box with TLR, they should go all-in on it. Keep Joe McEwing on as bench coach if you want, hire TLR as Manager and name Jirschele "Assistant Manager." Let people know that Tony is the guy right now, but given the "unique" circumstances (Of TLR being 1000 years old), they also need to look to the future and Jirschele is a guy they have incredibly high hopes for. Let Jirschele get his feet wet at the big league level without it all being thrown on him at once. 

I think you can sell that, and I'd be somewhat on board with it all. 

I don't think they can win it. Too many already view TLR as a racist. Not a good look. Too old . Too long retired, Already in the HOF because he completed his career. Do you want to risk offending our players , our fans, the fans of baseball all over the world ? What message would the White Sox as an organization be sending ? Does Hahn really want to speak over and over to defend his choice of TLR or Hinch.

They don't need a controversial pick like Hinch or TLR, despite the old saying that "There is no such thing as bad publicity." That era is over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Geren wouldn’t be that homerun hire. Maybe something to look into but I don’t see him exciting the fan base or a good fit for the team. His winning percentage isn’t that great. He does have postseason experience but so does the other candidates that are on the list. I can see Detroit maybe hiring him.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There was literally nothing intelligent about ChiSox1917's ignorant post filled with inaccuracies and mistruths. The fact that the guy wrote this sentence:

"i dont agree that their experiences trump impersonal data and statistics that there is a systemic issue of racism in this country."

Shows how ignorant and misinformed he is. People that continue to spew this nonsense should not be respected for "having a differing opinion." Their unwillingness to listen is exactly why things haven't improved for so many.

Again, there is a difference between being ignorant and being racist. TLR, like most Caucasians in the US, are not around Black people much. Thus, many people do not understand racism or that it is even a big problem because they aren't exposed to it. . This becomes two fold when the Black people you encounter are wealthy professional athletes removed from their previous situations.

While I was in college, people had no idea I grew up in Englewood after living in the Projects for a while. When people see me now, most assume I've always had a great life and transfer my success to other Black people. People cannot imagine the struggle and difficulty just making it day to day.

Since they don't see it, it is assumed that everyone is on equal footing and that those who are struggling in life are doing so because they don't work hard, or because they failed in life. I don't consider this to be intentional racism, but mass ignorance that needs to be addressed as a country. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

.470 winning % after being a long time minor league manager

Hmm. I'm not sure if he is the guy then. Sounds like Hahn wants more success out of the next guy. Although being an assistant on a great team helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Success is generally achieved when you have better players than the other team. Give me the best roster in a league and I’ll beat you 60-65% ofthe time even in an arbitrary game like baseball. In hockey I’ll beat you 80-85% of the time with a better roster.

that assumes I’m not a complete idiot and know nothing about the sport I’m coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Success is generally achieved when you have better players than the other team. Give me the best roster in a league and I’ll beat you 60-65% ofthe time even in an arbitrary game like baseball. In hockey I’ll beat you 80-85% of the time with a better roster.

that assumes I’m not a complete idiot and know nothing about the sport I’m coaching.

Casey Stengel did once say after being named Manager of the Year "I couldn't have done it without the players."  Smart man who could sound like a fool if you didn't listen carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I think theres a pretty big difference between a top 10 manager of all time and robin ventura

Of course there is, although this top ten manager hasn't been a manager in ten years. It's not the people I am talking about. It's the process. In this case, is one reason JR is making a choice like this is because it feels safe and comfortable? That is not a good reason to make such a choice.

Additionally, the real question here is not about LaRussa's credentials. Is he the right man for this job at this particular time? That is the question that has to be answered. His past connection to the Sox or his past experience are not relevant. What matters is where LaRussa is now and is this the right fit. Forget everything else.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The longer this drags on, the less likely I feel La Russa is going to be the one to get the job. I feel like he would’ve been hired already if he was the guy. I think the rumors surrounding him were just a way to get people more accepting of Hinch’s baggage. They’re probably just stalling until the World Series is over so they can officially “interview” Hinch and make him the manager.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully next week we will have a manager. I think this was always going to drag on because they have to interview Hinch and a few coaches left in the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a steroid use hater, I really hope that La Russa doesn't get the job. I was trying like hell to keep kids from using roids in high school and guys like La Russa had them shooting the stuff up in his own locker room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

As a steroid use hater, I really hope that La Russa doesn't get the job. I was trying like hell to keep kids from using roids in high school and guys like La Russa had them shooting the stuff up in his own locker room.

Bauer, Cc, & Gray talk about Houston cheating

 

I dont know how to embed this, but at 26:20, they start discussing Houston's cheating. But, they also bring up the steroid era.

Surprisingly, all three hate what Houston did more than steroid cheats. If anything, I could see Hinch making it harder for whoever hires him to recruit FAs.

 

That said, I don't want TLR, or Hinch, full stop.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×