Jump to content
jaws7575

Tony La Russa

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, tray said:

Hypothetically, do you think it would make more sense for JR to :

1. hire his 76 year old friend to be an every day  field Manager working under Hahn and KW,

or,

2. hire LaRussa to replace/fire Hahn and/or KW with authority to pick a new field Manager  and  reorganize the organization as he saw fit.

I'm asking.

 

None of the above?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Actually you are wrong. Dave Dombrowski hired him as a special assistant 2 years ago to " serve as a consultant to the minor and major league coaching staffs, which included first-year manager Alex Cora. He was very involved in what turned out to be a Championship season. 

He certainly would not be a good managerial candidate but if Hahn goes w a first-year guy, LaRussa might have some value as a consultant. 

 

https://bosoxinjection.com/2018/09/26/red-sox-tony-larussa-asset-role/

I don't know everything about the great LaRussa, but I don't see his value with the Sox. I don't want him as a manager or consultant. Please, please, let's move on.

  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony is getting up there so pass, we dont need to recycle on this team! Nothing wrong w 76, considering the two knuckleheads we have running for the Oval Office

Yes the 83 team was magical, one of my fav teams other than the 05 one

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

 

Why the F would the Sox bother putting out something about Tony LaRussa ? Misdirection ? Hey BB wanna tell me who or what a misdirection is aimed at and why ? Can we all move on ? Who is the next thread going to be on . Al Lopez ? Hey he spoke Spanish didn't he ? Dig him up !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget the age thing for a moment. I am pushing 70 so I don't have anything against seventy-somethings.

Hiring LaRussa sounds like JR acting in his comfort zone. The team doesn't need that. Firing Renteria and Cooper was a big step forward. Let's not take a huge step backwards and instead take step out of the comfort zone. Interview people with no past connections to the Sox and finish the rebuild.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One source Nightengale claiming LaRussa the favorite. Some times the owner gets to decide.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

None of the above?

Yes, perhaps JR just wants to meet with LaRussa to discuss something other than the state of the White Sox organization and the positions that have been or might be open.  

Personally, I would like to see JR complete the clean-up and get rid of Hahn and KW.  LaRussa could find a new GM and Manager in consultation with Jerry. ....and if they make an "insular" selection for those positions so be it.  Hahn, by his own estimation, is well qualified to get another GM job for the next 10 years.

 

Edited by tray
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

 

Yeah I’m sure Jerry had nothing to do with Coop lasting 102 years

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Yeah I’m sure Jerry had nothing to do with Coop lasting 102 years

I like Ofman, but pretty sure he’s been wrong with every Sox related nugget the last few years.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like Ofman, but pretty sure he’s been wrong with every Sox related nugget the last few years.

Look at the Bulls; He wanted Doug Collins but ultimately let his basketball people make a decision and if anything his friendship with Collins actually got in the way of him hiring Collins again (he didn't want to have to fire him and he knew that).  JR has his flaws, but he is very trusting of his people and I really believe he'd largely be a pretty darn good owner to work for (in the sense he gives you autonomy and trust).  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

 

While I agree, the fact that RH and KW know JR really wants Tony, assuming that’s the case, will weigh on their minds, If either is not very enthused about the possibility he gets the job, I bet they are praying Tony tells them he isn’t up for it. I just have a hard time thinking  they would “interview” him, have him decide he would like to get back in the dugout, and then ultimately tell him they decided on someone else.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is a disaster. LaRussa would be a dreadful hire and he appears to be the front runner.

For Manager or for GM ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tray said:

Hypothetically, do you think it would make more sense for JR to :

1. hire his 76 year old friend to be an every day  field Manager working under Hahn and KW,

or,

2. hire LaRussa to replace/fire Hahn and/or KW with authority to pick a new field Manager  and  reorganize the organization as he saw fit.

I'm asking.

 

Why in the world do you think La Russa is capable of running a front office?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why in the world do you think La Russa is capable of running a front office?

Come on, you didn't think he and Dave Stewart were tearing the league up running the Diamondbacks?

Remember how he and Dave completly fleeced the stupid Braves and stole Shelby Miller from them? All they had to give up was Inciarte, Dansby, and Aaron Blair.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After LaRussa clearly showed how much smarter he was than everyone else while he lead the Diamondbacks to obvious league wide dominance, this was my favorite excerpt from Tony's Wikipedia page:

In November 2017, the Boston Red Sox announced that La Russa had joined the team as vice president and special assistant to Dave Dombrowski, the president of baseball operations.[38] In making the announcement, the Red Sox indicated that La Russa would assist with player development, serve as an advisor to the team's coaches at the major and minor league levels, and serve as a consultant for Alex Cora, the team's major league manager.[39] La Russa worked with the Red Sox for two seasons, and after Dombrowski was released by the Red Sox during the 2019 season, the Los Angeles Angels hired La Russa as senior adviser for baseball operations in November 2019.[40]

He was hired in 2017 to develop young players, and serve as a consultant to Cora lol. The Red Sox farm system is the worst it's been in years, the team went in the dumps, and Cora was suspended a year for Cheating. Well done, Tony. Well done. Angels hire him to advise them on how to spend more money than anyone while missing the playoffs when half the teams made it.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

After LaRussa clearly showed how much smarter he was than everyone else while he lead the Diamondbacks to obvious league wide dominance, this was my favorite excerpt from Tony's Wikipedia page:

In November 2017, the Boston Red Sox announced that La Russa had joined the team as vice president and special assistant to Dave Dombrowski, the president of baseball operations.[38] In making the announcement, the Red Sox indicated that La Russa would assist with player development, serve as an advisor to the team's coaches at the major and minor league levels, and serve as a consultant for Alex Cora, the team's major league manager.[39] La Russa worked with the Red Sox for two seasons, and after Dombrowski was released by the Red Sox during the 2019 season, the Los Angeles Angels hired La Russa as senior adviser for baseball operations in November 2019.[40]

He was hired in 2017 to develop young players, and serve as a consultant to Cora lol. The Red Sox farm system is the worst it's been in years, the team went in the dumps, and Cora was suspended a year for Cheating. Well done, Tony. Well done.

Who would be your top two candidates? Not sure I've noticed where you stand on the replacement. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Who would be your top two candidates? Not sure I've noticed where you stand on the replacement. 

1- Rick Renteria

2- Ricky Renteria

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Come on, you didn't think he and Dave Stewart were tearing the league up running the Diamondbacks?

Remember how he and Dave completed fleeced the stupid Braves and stole Shelby Miller from them? All they had to give up was Inciarte, Dansby, and Aaron Blair.

I was just reading through their greatest and wow were they bad.  I’d rather have Hawk in charge of our baseball operations again than La Russia.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Who would be your top two candidates? Not sure I've noticed where you stand on the replacement. 

I said in another thread, but I'd hire Bochy first and Bochy only if he was interested in the job. 

Then probably Cora; Hinch would be fine, I just don't like Hinch dating back to his Diamondbacks days either. That said, he was so young then and he's fine now I'm sure.

The hilarious thing is I don't think Managers mean much, but I think LaRussa would be an absolute disaster.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I said in another thread, but I'd hire Bochy first and Bochy only if he was interested in the job. 

Then probably Cora; Hinch would be fine, I just don't like Hinch dating back to his Diamondbacks days either. That said, he was so young then and he's fine now I'm sure.

The hilarious thing is I don't think Managers mean much, but I think LaRussa would be an absolute disaster.

They mean much. If this past season for the Sox hasn't shown you that I don't know what the hell will.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KonerkoFan1 said:

They mean much. If this past season for the Sox hasn't shown you that I don't know what the hell will.

If you had the White Sox as a 94-95 win team over 162 to start this season I commend you. If you thought they were a 96-99 win team over 162 then I commend you even more.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you had the White Sox as a 94-95 win team over 162 to start this season I commend you. If you thought they were a 96-99 win team over 162 then I commend you even more.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing here, but if you watched the Cleveland series you’d know how much a bad manager can cost you.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×