Rick Hahn is Sporting News Executive of the Year

maloney.adam

Yeah I don't know about this one...

Did he do alright as GM last year? Sure. Was he the executive of the year? Probably not. 

Executive of the year doesn't whiff on 3 of his 5 off-season acquisitions (EE, Cishek, Mazara). 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

What specifically did he do this year to earn this? Didn't add anything at the deadline that boosted the team into contention, offseason acquisitions weren't the best (aside from Kuechel and Grandal).

I know he has done a good job of building the core that we have but the building wasn't done in 2020.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah I don't know about this one...

Did he do alright as GM last year? Sure. Was he the executive of the year? Probably not. 

Executive of the year doesn't whiff on 3 of his 5 off-season acquisitions (EE, Cishek, Mazara). 

There is a big picture they look at. He got a rebuilt team into the playoffs. He deserved it to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can make the argument that this honor was awarded to him maybe one year early because this offseason is very important but you have to look at the overall body of work. He took a sub 500 team over a span of a few years and turned it into a playoff team. He deserves it! Congrats Rick! 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

He earned the award for moves made over the past 4 years. He wasn’t going to win the award for trading for prospects like Eloy, Giolito, signing Robert, locking up TA, etc. when the team hasn’t shown any success. The minute they do, then he gets the recognition, that’s how these awards work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Whether Hahn himself is deserving this year is debatable, but the body of work the whole org has done to turn this team into a burgeoning contender deserves recognition and accolade.

Yea he's done a good job hard to argue otherwise.  No GM is perfect and once Hahn was allowed to rebuild (I do think he was asked to not rebuild prior to 2018 by JR and KW) he did it well.  He showed he's the 100% leader too firing Cooper and Renteria, which is great news for the future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Didn’t know this magazine still existed.

Gar Forman’s award more deserved. Time will tell whether Hahn will be able to match Gar Forman’s accomplishments when he leaves (winning record as GM, postseason success).

Rick and Kenny have a championship dude

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What specifically did he do this year to earn this? Didn't add anything at the deadline that boosted the team into contention, offseason acquisitions weren't the best (aside from Kuechel and Grandal).

I know he has done a good job of building the core that we have but the building wasn't done in 2020.

How could he possibly have won it when those trades were made and nobody knew if the prospects would pan out??  Does that make any sense at all??  My goodness...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

The trades have to come to fruition for the rebuild to work, hence getting the better record and winning the award this year.  And hitting on Keuchel & Grandal is actually a pretty big deal...more so than missing on EE, Mazara, Cishek.

Well when you take away the two best signings, any teams offseason probably looks like shit. 

• Like 2

I do agree he should have made a deal at the deadline but he made two great moves this off season that worked out very well. 

Dallas keuchel outperformed all expections with a sub 2 Era and Grandal despite his haters worked great too with a 117 wrc+ and 1.7 war (4.5 162 pace). Those were two great moves