Rick Hahn is Sporting News Executive of the Year

maloney.adam

50 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah guess thats true.

Also for the record, I didn't mean to make it seem like he doesn't deserve it. Just curious what exactly qualifies it.

Since baseball is a sport where the results of executive-ing aren't always immediately apparent, I assume that this award is more of a cumulative achievement award. This season, a team that had been "mired in mediocrity" for the better part of a decade became a powerhouse. So I'm not looking at this as a one-year turnaround award, more like a "this is the year everything came together" award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Since baseball is a sport where the results of executive-ing aren't always immediately apparent, I assume that this award is more of a cumulative achievement award. This season, a team that had been "mired in mediocrity" for the better part of a decade became a powerhouse. So I'm not looking at this as a one-year turnaround award, more like a "this is the year everything came together" award.

"Mired in mediocrity" is a very nice way of putting it lol

57 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

The "of the Year" part does make it kind of awkward. 

But it my mind Preller and Hahn are the only two I would consider for it this year. 

4 hours ago, mqr said:

Rick and Kenny have a championship dude

Dude, Kenny was GM and built the team, Rick served as Kenny’s George Constanza.

Gar Forman’s team went 62-20, won their division and made it to the Conference Finals the year he deservedly won his award.

Seattle is the only other AL team over Hahn’s tenure to not win a division or a playoff series. Hahn shouldn’t have been considered for the award until the team  crossed this minimal threshold of success.

Since Hahn is likely here until Reinsdorf's departure, I hope he does win 1+ championships. That said, I will puke if the Sox raise a 2020 AL Playoff Participant / Wild Card Banner next season. Fun season to watch and hopefully build future success, but not the best executive. I would have voted for Erik Neander.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Dude, Kenny was GM and built the team, Rick served as Kenny’s George Constanza.

Gar Forman’s team went 62-20, won their division and made it to the Conference Finals the year he deservedly won his award.

Seattle is the only other AL team over Hahn’s tenure to not win a division or a playoff series. Hahn shouldn’t have been considered for the award until the team  crossed this minimal threshold of success.

Since Hahn is likely here until Reinsdorf's departure, I hope he does win 1+ championships. That said, I will puke if the Sox raise a 2020 AL Playoff Participant / Wild Card Banner next season. Fun season to watch and hopefully build future success, but not the best executive. I would have voted for Erik Neander.

You lose every ounce of credibility you may have had just by uttering the name gar forman

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

He deserves it. 1.) His team made the playoffs which proves the Hahn-led rebuild is not a bust and will pay dividends. 2.) Some of the player he's acquired are bonafide superstar candidates (Robert, Moncada, Eloy, Kopech, TA, Vaughn) as well as a stud catcher (Grandal) and long-term solution at second base (Madrigal). Also he signed Abreu when he coulda let him walk or dump him.

Sure he whiffed at the deadline. Sure his pitching staff was not championship caliber. 

So what? For now, he deserves that award. 

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

You lose every ounce of credibility you may have had just by uttering the name gar forman

Could be your take, but regardless of Gar’s qualifications, he left with a winning overall record during his tenure, something Rick Hahn will almost assuredly never be able to accomplish due to his abominable first seven years.

Time will tell whether Hahn will ever have a team advance in the playoffs. Still haven’t seen a valid reason why an executive of a 16 team playoff wild card team bounced immediately is worthy of “executive of the year” honours.

Any credit for improvement should be weighed by the fact he was responsible for digging the gargantuan hole in the first place.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Could be your take, but regardless of Gar’s qualifications, he left with a winning overall record during his tenure, something Rick Hahn will almost assuredly never be able to accomplish due to his abominable first seven years.

Time will tell whether Hahn will ever have a team advance in the playoffs. Still haven’t seen a valid reason why an executive of a 16 team playoff wild card team bounced immediately is worthy of “executive of the year” honours.

Any credit for improvement should be weighed by the fact he was responsible for digging the gargantuan hole in the first place.

So your argument is that Forman is better because he destroyed the really good team he inherented?  Yeah, I think you need to quit digging the hole you are already in. The comp was bad, but it got worse after you "explained " it. That is impressive. The gigantic hole in this is the last few years were full of losses on purpose.  They rebuild to acquire tons of young talent. They did EXACTLY what they set out to do.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Why do people constantly compare the Sox and Bulls like this?

The Bulls are an elite NBA brand. Possibly the most profitable team in professional sports over the past 30 years. 

The White Sox are, NOT FOR MUCH LONGER!, the second baseball team in town from viewership to attendance numbers.

Gar Forman destroyed Derrick Rose and traded Jimmy Butler because you couldn't "build a contending team around him." HAHAHAHA

He won the lottery - literally - and got a generational player who he helped to ruin by not supporting him publicly when shit hit the fan for him physically. It's also a little easier to build a roster that needs to have 5 good players.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

14 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It should go to the Rays GM.  If I were Sox GM I would fake trade negotiations with the Rays just to see which guys on my farm they liked the most, then I would call off talks and keep those players, whatever their names were.

Or the Marlins with half their roster being decimated by COVID at one point.

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

So, was Renteria about to win manager of the year until he got let go? :ph34r:

About as logical as Hahn winning this “award”. Sadly the Sox and their AL pier Seattle haven’t won a goddamned thing during Hahn’s tenure, well except for this ridiculous award.

Hahn still is a losing GM, even cherry picking the years he was allegedly “trying” to win (2013-2016 & 2020), and dumping players like Tatis.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

About as logical as Hahn winning this “award”. Sadly the Sox and their AL pier Seattle haven’t won a goddamned thing during Hahn’s tenure, well except for this ridiculous award.

Hahn still is a losing GM, even cherry picking the years he was allegedly “trying” to win (2013-2016 & 2020), and dumping players like Tatis.

It's so hard. On one hand you have a survey of baseball executives and Hahns peers who do this job for a living, understanding his job in intimate detail. On the other hand this guy on the internet thinks we should hold 2013 against Hahn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's so hard. On one hand you have a survey of baseball executives and Hahns peers who do this job for a living, understanding his job in intimate detail. On the other hand this guy on the internet thinks we should hold 2013 against Hahn.

Obviously, his peers respect the hell out of his rebuild and when they saw it come to fruition this year determined he was deserving of the award.

All GM's make bad deals. If a few bad signings and trades disqualified you from winning this award, then no one would win it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Your hot take is on FIRE 🔥  my guy. 

23 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It should go to the Rays GM.  If I were Sox GM I would fake trade negotiations with the Rays just to see which guys on my farm they liked the most, then I would call off talks and keep those players, whatever their names were.

You are obviously a creative thinker.😊

On 10/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, chw42 said:

Yeah I don't know about this one...

Did he do alright as GM last year? Sure. Was he the executive of the year? Probably not. 

Executive of the year doesn't whiff on 3 of his 5 off-season acquisitions (EE, Cishek, Mazara). 

Make that 3 of 6 since Jose Abreu was an off season acquisition plus didn't he give out a couple of extensions this off season ?

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Make that 3 of 6 since Jose Abreu was an off season acquisition plus didn't he give out a couple of extensions this off season ?

Also extended Rick Renteria last offseason, after failing to convince another winner (Ventura) to stay, and signing Renteria after an exhaustive 24 hour job search in 2016, because why bother.

Perhaps he’ll land LaRussa to ensure the hits just keep on coming on the managerial front. Not to worry, just give Hahn five more years after 2025 for another rebuild if nothing happens, he is an Executive of the Year after all. No doubt his peers want him around forever.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1