Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Yearnin' for Yermin

Pitching Coach Candidates

Recommended Posts

What do you all think? Two that immediately come to mind are as follows:

 

1. Matt Zaleski - Charlotte Knights pitching coach. Embraces the analytics, gets great reviews within the organization, knows all our guys. He seems like an easy and solid choice for the position

2. Ethan Katz - Giolito's highschool pitching coach. He is credited with helping turn Giolito around and into a top pitcher in the league. Giolito went from literally the worst starting pitcher, to one of the best. He has to get a look. This is my pick, personally.

 

Any candidates you have in mind?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What do you all think? Two that immediately come to mind are as follows:

 

1. Matt Zaleski - Charlotte Knights pitching coach. Embraces the analytics, gets great reviews within the organization, knows all our guys. He seems like an easy and solid choice for the position

2. Ethan Katz - Giolito's highschool pitching coach. He is credited with helping turn Giolito around and into a top pitcher in the league. Giolito went from literally the worst starting pitcher, to one of the best. He has to get a look. This is my pick, personally.

 

Any candidates you have in mind?

I think it's either Zaleski or Teaford. Katz could get a look and that'd certainly be interesting given the other names in Lucas' HS rotation, but RH seemed pretty adamant about pointing out how many great in-house options we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

I hope it is not somebody out of the org. 

I hope that the actual Pitching Coach position is Zaleski, but if other people are added in analytics roles from outside the organization I think that'd be great. Frankly, a larger analytics department on both the hitting and pitching side would be a welcome change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just so dependent on who they hire and the relationships they have. I imagine with sox going after more experienced guys, and letting go of cooper, they didn't do so to then tell them who their pitching coach will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Earlier this week Bruce Levine said it was Kirk Hasler. 

Ok, so the only thing we know for certain is that it won't be Hasler.

  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Earlier this week Bruce Levine said it was Kirk Hasler. 

You mean Curt Hasler? Bullpen coach for the Sox.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yes but it It was more of a dig at Bruuuuuuuce who is somehow considered an "expert" 

Ahh ok I gotcha! 

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually Rick Hahn has said in the past that it would be Curt Hassler. 
 

If LaRussa gets the job, I am going with Dave Duncan as the pitching coach and Zaleski in the bullpen as the heir apparent. Although since Duncan has supposedly been with the White Sox, if he doesn’t want to return, he probably knows the minor league guys well enough to advise Tony.

If it’s AJ Hinch, I have no idea, but if he is naming the coach I can’t see how he would go with Zaleski as the actual pitching coach. He most likely doesn’t know him at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What do you all think? Two that immediately come to mind are as follows:

 

1. Matt Zaleski - Charlotte Knights pitching coach. Embraces the analytics, gets great reviews within the organization, knows all our guys. He seems like an easy and solid choice for the position

2. Ethan Katz - Giolito's highschool pitching coach. He is credited with helping turn Giolito around and into a top pitcher in the league. Giolito went from literally the worst starting pitcher, to one of the best. He has to get a look. This is my pick, personally.

 

Any candidates you have in mind?

Zaleski  and katz are u kidding me, I can't believe this is the best they can do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Zaleski  and katz are u kidding me, I can't believe this is the best they can do

Go on.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Why

They have to do better than what they have  in their organization

I would want to bring in some outside knowledge into the org. Not saying those guys are bad but I would for example get a driveline guy who has proven to be cutting edge. 

Milb pitching dev of the Sox wasn't terrible but it also wasn't super great either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Zaleski  and katz are u kidding me, I can't believe this is the best they can do

Zaleski has been credited by numerous Sox prospects to really helping them improve when they were working together. Some of those guys were pitching for the Sox this season. He knows a good deal about what they have and who they have coming up behind them, so it wouldn't be a ridiculous option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Zaleski has been credited by numerous Sox prospects to really helping them improve when they were working together. Some of those guys were pitching for the Sox this season. He knows a good deal about what they have and who they have coming up behind them, so it wouldn't be a ridiculous option. 

And Hahn flat out named Zaleski as a candidate during his presser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And Hahn flat out named Zaleski as a candidate during his presser.

It depends on who gets the managerial job.  Bochy for example is known for his excellent handler of his pitching staff.  Zaleski would be great working with that type of manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, poppysox said:

It depends on who gets the managerial job.  Bochy for example is known for his excellent handler of his pitching staff.  Zaleski would be great working with that type of manager.

Hahn was pretty much as clear as he gets on this. It will be an internal promotion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zaleski seems like the obvious choice internally since he has worked with most of the current and upcoming pitchers on the system. 

Edited by HoosierSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So outside the obvious, I’d really love if we heard the Sox call Chris Fetter from Michigan. He’s been pursued a lot recently, and you know, Hahn and Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×