Mazara and Right Field Thread

Chicago White Sox

OF defense would be atrocious, but Eddie Rosario is probably a coin flip to get non tendered in MN. Not even sure if he could even fake RF, but he could be an option. 

I think we’ll see a fair share of somewhat surprising non tenders this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Is Jackie Bradley Jr. an option in right field?

I don't hate Jackie Bradley Jr. he's still elite defensively (tied Robert for highest OOA among outfielders last season) and could fit as the strong side of a platoon with Engel. The problem is someone might pay him based on his 2020 offense which was a clear outlier. If the price was right he'd be a nice fit as a defense first approach to the position.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I don't hate Jackie Bradley Jr. he's still elite defensively (tied Robert for highest OOA among outfielders last season) and could fit as the strong side of a platoon with Engel. The problem is someone might pay him based on his 2020 offense which was a clear outlier. If the price was right he'd be a nice fit as a defense first approach to the position.

His Statcast numbers were not very impressive either.  He could be a defense-oriented fallback option, but I’d aim a little higher to start.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How would people feel if our only two additions this offseason were Springer & Stroman?  That means going cheap with the bullpen, no other rotational depth, Collins as your backup catcher, and Vaughn as your DH.

Springer, Stroman, and Quintana on a prove-it deal are my hopes for the off-season. Pair those moves with a 7th inning reliever and bump the other guys up an inning.

Hire Hinch. Jirschele as bench. Zaleski as pitching coach. Get rid of Boston in light of his history. 

I'd be very happy with this off-season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How would people feel if our only two additions this offseason were Springer & Stroman?  That means going cheap with the bullpen, no other rotational depth, Collins as your backup catcher, and Vaughn as your DH.

Give me a defense 1st veteran catcher over Collins and I'm cool it it.  Add Quintana if possible.  Though i think I'd prefer Stroman, Q, Vaughn DH/1B, vet catcher, and a Joc level stopgap in RF while retaining Colome to stabilize the back end of the pen.  As nerve-racking as he is to watch close sometimes, nor sure I want to role into 2021 w/o someone proven in the closer role.

Just now, SouthWallace said:

Give me a defense 1st veteran catcher over Collins and I'm cool it it.  Add Quintana if possible.  Though i think I'd prefer Stroman, Q, Vaughn DH/1B, vet catcher, and a Joc level stopgap in RF while retaining Colome to stabilize the back end of the pen.  As nerve-racking as he is to watch close sometimes, nor sure I want to role into 2021 w/o someone proven in the closer role.

That was kind of what I was getting at.  Assume we have $45M to work with this offseason to address the last three spots on the pitching staff plus RF, DH, & backup catcher.  One option is going big after Springer & Stroman (let’s go with $42M combined) and then go with cheap internal options at the other four spots (Lopez, Burdi or Johnson, Vaughn, Collins).  Alternatively, you could spread Springer’s salary (say $25M) over multiple positions and possibly add Quintana ($10M), Pederson ($8M), and a B tier reliever ($7M) in addition to Stroman.  What would you rather have?

To me, if we plan on letting Crotchet pitch out of the bullpen for a year I think I’d go with option A and hope for the best with our young arms.  It’s risky no doubt, but you’re probably talking about the best offense in baseball at that point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That was kind of what I was getting at.  Assume we have $45M to work with this offseason to address the last three spots on the pitching staff plus RF, DH, & backup catcher.  One option is going big after Springer & Stroman (let’s go with $42M combined) and then go with cheap internal options at the other four spots (Lopez, Burdi or Johnson, Vaughn, Collins).  Alternatively, you could spread Springer’s salary (say $25M) over multiple positions and possibly add Quintana ($10M), Pederson ($8M), and a B tier reliever ($7M) in addition to Stroman.  What would you rather have?

To me, if we plan on letting Crotchet pitch out of the bullpen for a year I think I’d go with option A and hope for the best with our young arms.  It’s risky no doubt, but you’re probably talking about the best offense in baseball at that point.

Assuming Yoan returns to his 2019 self, Robert has a more even sophomore season, Vaughn gives you a quality rookie year, and others maintain similar 2020 numbers you already have a pretty fantastic offense.  RF is still a black hole but one you can hide easier than question marks in your rotation and pen.  Option A would be a home run, but I think Option B gives you a bit more balance across the board with a bit more certainty.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I too like Yastrzemski, but he doesn't become a FA until 2026 and what would it take to get the 30 year old OF in a trade?

Wow I had no idea Yastrzemski was 30. He really came out of nowhere at age 28. 

54 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Springer, Stroman, and Quintana on a prove-it deal are my hopes for the off-season. Pair those moves with a 7th inning reliever and bump the other guys up an inning.

Hire Hinch. Jirschele as bench. Zaleski as pitching coach. Get rid of Boston in light of his history. 

I'd be very happy with this off-season.

This is also my ideal offseason. These guys or comparable. Same coaching staff.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Absolutely with Vaughn and Springer added to that lineup. That's scary for sure top lineups!  The pitching concerns me though. But the Sox are good at developing bullpen pieces. And if Crochet stays in the bullpen that's some uncomfortable abs for the opponent facing him.

Giolito, Stroman, Keuchel, Dunning, Cease, and Kopech later. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saufley said:

I too like Yastrzemski, but he doesn't become a FA until 2026 and what would it take to get the 30 year old OF in a trade?

I don't think it would be an insane ask. His age is not on his side and it's not like he's been a superstar. 

The question tho is if the Giants are going to trade him. So far they've been very reluctant as they seem to feel he sells tickets 0_o. 

39 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I don't think it would be an insane ask. His age is not on his side and it's not like he's been a superstar. 

The question tho is if the Giants are going to trade him. So far they've been very reluctant as they seem to feel he sells tickets 0_o. 

He posted the 7th highest fWAR among position players this year.  Even with him being 30 the ask will be very because he’s controllable for the next five years and is dirt cheap.