Mazara and Right Field Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, manbearpuig said:

I honestly don't think Collins will be the backup catcher. One might open up as the DH (keep the seat warm for Vaughn) but I think they will sign a better defensive backup than Collins.

If anyone other than Vaughn is penciled in to be the DH, it had better be Mercedes.

6 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

You should check out Collins' AAA line last year pre and post his call up. After he was sent back down, he made some adjustments and tore up the IL in almost the same sample size. It doesn't mean that it will fully translate to the majors, but he did seem to turn the corner. 

pre callup: https://www.fangraphs.com/players/zack-collins/19181/game-log?type=-2&gds=2019-04-04&gde=2019-06-16&season=&position=C/DH

post: https://www.fangraphs.com/players/zack-collins/19181/game-log?type=-2&gds=2019-07-17&gde=2019-09-02&season=&position=C/DH

That was interesting information. Thanks.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Really dropped the ball in 2019 by not giving him (or Yermin for that matter) more playing time. Either should have been the DH after releasing Alonso but nope, they went the AJ Reed route instead.

Somebody pointed it out that clearly this team doesn’t believe in them. That is really the only explanation for it. The team has had plenty of opportunities to give them a chance and not taken any of them. I had high hopes for both but I don’t think they get their chance with us.

3 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Somebody pointed it out that clearly this team doesn’t believe in them. That is really the only explanation for it. The team has had plenty of opportunities to give them a chance and not taken any of them. I had high hopes for both but I don’t think they get their chance with us.

Nope. It's time to move on.

45 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Really dropped the ball in 2019 by not giving him (or Yermin for that matter) more playing time. Either should have been the DH after releasing Alonso but nope, they went the AJ Reed route instead.

Last year too. EE had nothing. You could tell he was not going to all of a sudden blow up. I would have rather have seen what Collins would have done.

Maybe I missed it, how have we not brought up Eaton? He was bought out by the Nats ... seems like a really easy 1-3 year contract at a reasonable price, fills a need, and we're familiar with him. 

Now, I do believe he has the persona of being a locker room asshole, and I personally didn't like him, but between the lines he fills everything we need. Shorter term, reasonably priced, fills a need, etc. I think he could be an awesome 2 hole hitter .... or  .... possibly a 7/8 hole hitter. 

2 years, $14mm, option for a 3rd year at another $7mm with a $1mm buyout. Seems like a win-win for all parties. Don't tie up payroll, get a serviceable RF. 

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Maybe I missed it, how have we not brought up Eaton? He was bought out by the Nats ... seems like a really easy 1-3 year contract at a reasonable price, fills a need, and we're familiar with him. 

Now, I do believe he has the persona of being a locker room asshole, and I personally didn't like him, but between the lines he fills everything we need. Shorter term, reasonably priced, fills a need, etc. I think he could be an awesome 2 hole hitter .... or  .... possibly a 7/8 hole hitter. 

2 years, $14mm, option for a 3rd year at another $7mm with a $1mm buyout. Seems like a win-win for all parties. Don't tie up payroll, get a serviceable RF. 

He was bad last season. I don't think he does better than a one year deal.

Even better then. 

Also, i take last year's stats - both good and bad, with a grain of salt. Its not like he doesn't have a body of work. He should be able to get play 100-120 games of above average RF ball. He's a Nick Markakis type player. Nothing to write home about - but fills a hole, and fills it admirably at a reasonable price. 

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Even better then. 

Also, i take last year's stats - both good and bad, with a grain of salt. Its not like he doesn't have a body of work. He should be able to get play 100-120 games of above average RF ball. He's a Nick Markakis type player. Nothing to write home about - but fills a hole, and fills it admirably at a reasonable price. 

He was discussed in a thread yesterday (Offseason targets I think?) and no one thought it had any shot of happening, despite an Eaton/Engel platoon potentially being good.

6 minutes ago, Vulture said:

With the La Russa hiring, it looks like any clubhouse vibe considerations are out the window, so maybe Eaton becomes an option now.

Hope not. Eaton isn't that good  player first of all and he is an asshole. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Vulture said:

So is La Russa, hence why I conclude that might no longer be considered a deterrent in acquiring Eaton

Why in the world would they ever bring Adam Eaton into this team? There is so much positivity on the team right now. Eaton doesn't help the team in any way and he actually would hurt the team.

20 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Why in the world would they ever bring Adam Eaton into this team? There is so much positivity on the team right now. Eaton doesn't help the team in any way and he actually would hurt the team.

I won't tell you about all of the categories that Eaton out produced Nomar Mazara in. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I won't tell you about all of the categories that Eaton out produced Nomar Mazara in. 

Eaton out produced him in several categories for sure. Being a real asshole and being very much over-paid.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 12:10 PM, BrianAnderson said:

Not too far off. I'm taking a victory lap here. 2 years, $15.5mm - only tied to 1 year with that $1mm buyout. Still echo the rest -- not the best, but serviceable. Can hit in the 2 hole or down in the 7/8 hole. Onward and upward to bigger needs. 

• Like 2