Mazara and Right Field Thread

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, zisk said:

live with mazara/engel. spend on pitching.

No way they stick with Mazara even if they decide to go cheap.  And honestly, what’s the point?  He only has one year of team control left.  If he does well, he’ll be expensive to retain, if he doesn’t that’s a third straight year of shit production out of RF.  If I’m gambling on a bounce-back candidate it’s Joc because he has actually been elite against RHP in the past.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you guys thinking here.  I’ve been pushing the Joc angle for a while now, but found this tweet from Stone to be amusing.  Is Springer an actual possibility?  Steve normally shoots anything too crazy down right away.  🤔

Everything Stone has been saying points to Hinch honestly. I'd be surprised if it isn't him. 

Regarding RF, Stone also said this:

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But what about RF?  Would the Sox actually pursue a guy like Springer?

I'm a dope and completely missed the thread title. I edited to add this above. 

Doesn't paint the same confidence. It scares me committing to to what Springer would want given his age, but the guy can mash. A lefty would be preferred, but those are far and few between. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'm a dope and completely missed the thread title. I edited to add this above. 

Doesn't paint the same confidence. It scares me committing to to what Springer would want given his age, but the guy can mash. A lefty would be preferred, but those are far and few between. 

I wonder if the big name guys will have to take lesser long-term deals than usual but with opt-outs after year 1.  I really have no idea what kind of contract someone like Springer would get normally, but it should be less than usual I’d imagine.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wonder if the big name guys will have to take lesser long-term deals than usual but with opt-outs after year 1.  I really have no idea what kind of contract someone like Springer would get normally, but it should be less than usual I’d imagine.

I really like this idea of offering contracts with (multiple?) opt outs. Gives the players guaranteed cash and incentive to possibly play for a bigger payday when the economy improves. And if he plays his way out of our budget and opts out, it's bought us time if someone like Colas is signed and has time to develop.

Love this play for Springer. Sign me up.

• Like 4

I wonder about the braves and intentions with a player like Duvall. Pache has arrived, and Waters isn’t far behind. 

Duvall isn’t expensive if our pitching acquisitions are. OTOH, he is pretty all or nothing but the power is crazy. More of a backup acquisition if we do well with FA pitching.

14 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I really like this idea of offering contracts with (multiple?) opt outs. Gives the players guaranteed cash and incentive to possibly play for a bigger payday when the economy improves. And if he plays his way out of our budget and opts out, it's bought us time if someone like Colas is signed and has time to develop.

Love this play for Springer. Sign me up.

100%. Agents are going to have to get creative this year. It really is the year to try and grab talent before the CBA changes everything as well. Shopping this winter will be like how black friday USED to be. Springer on a normal offseason gets 6/120.   This year I bet he gets 4/72 with an option and a 1 and 3 year opt out (1 year to hit new cba)

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

A trade for Calhoun seems like something the Sox would be interested in 

All the outfielders I didn’t want last year because I wanted them to swing for a long term elite player look good this year because I just want all focus on pitching. 

(well except for Mazara, did not want him).

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wonder about the braves and intentions with a player like Duvall. Pache has arrived, and Waters isn’t far behind. 

Duvall isn’t expensive if our pitching acquisitions are. OTOH, he is pretty all or nothing but the power is crazy. More of a backup acquisition if we do well with FA pitching.

How is his defense?

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

I could see them bringing Mazara back at a discounted rate. He was terrible but if he can get back to 2017-19 level he is a decent albeit not spectacular platton player (105 wrc+against lefties) that could share RF with Engel. 

Not a premium solution but cheap

It’s one of those things where it’s fine if it meant we got premium upgrades in pitching.

12 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I could see them bringing Mazara back at a discounted rate. He was terrible but if he can get back to 2017-19 level he is a decent albeit not spectacular platton player (105 wrc+against lefties) that could share RF with Engel. 

Not a premium solution but cheap

Why settle for a big “if” in this market?  To fathom’s point, you can probably trade for someone like Calhoun for basically nothing who would be a massive upgrade and not that much more money.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why settle for a big “if” in this market?  To fathom’s point, you can probably trade for someone like Calhoun for basically nothing who would be a massive upgrade and not that much more money.

He came on at the end but to me Calhoun is still a low OBP guy. 

If it were me, I would offer Mazara a low salary with some I’m incentives so if he comes up big he gets his arb number and a team option. If he says no, move on. The market should be flooded with players. A ton of non tenders is expected. Plus, with Robert in CF and Engel the 4th OF , they can get creative with a RF. It doesn’t necessarily have to be someone who has a history of great glove work.

This is kind of like the early to mid 90s before Maggs, when the Sox used to rent a RF. Ellis Burks, DJ, Dave Martinez, Danny Tartabull...they all did pretty well. And they were acquired coming off injury or poor performance.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He came on at the end but to me Calhoun is still a low OBP guy. 

If it were me, I would offer Mazara a low salary with some I’m incentives so if he comes up big he gets his arb number and a team option. If he says no, move on. The market should be flooded with players. A ton of non tenders is expected. Plus, with Robert in CF and Engel the 4th OF , they can get creative with a RF. It doesn’t necessarily have to be someone who has a history of great glove work.

This is kind of like the early to mid 90s before Maggs, when the Sox used to rent a RF. Ellis Burks, DJ, Dave Martinez, Danny Tartabull...they all did pretty well. And they were acquired coming off injury or poor performance.

They went ice cold with this strategy in the 10s though. But there are plenty of decent stop gaps I agree.