White Sox fan taunts Astros during ALCS

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/astros-heckler-megaphone-alcs-cheating-scandal-balcony-petco-park

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/sports/baseball/astros-heckler-megaphone.html?smid=tw-share

This is national story  that's been in USA Today and NY Times. Did the SunTimes or Tribune write anything about this guy Tim Kantner ?

Thanks to the guys in the ALCS thread in Diamond Club for finding this.

SInce it was a Sox fan I figured it should go in Pale Hose Talk.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/astros-heckler-megaphone-alcs-cheating-scandal-balcony-petco-park

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/sports/baseball/astros-heckler-megaphone.html?smid=tw-share

This is national story  that's been in USA Today and NY Times. Did the SunTimes or Tribune write anything about this guy Tim Kantner ?

Thanks to the guys in the ALCS thread in Diamond Club for finding this.

SInce it was a Sox fan I figured it should go in Pale Hose Talk.

I don't think the Astros are gonna get any sympathy from anyone. They are SO lucky this year of all years we couldn't have any fans in the stands, they were going to get absolutely eviscerated.

Edited by KonerkoFan1

5 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

I don’t know many games that deal in billions. It’s a business. 

Sure, but it’s not like the Astros cheated Clayton Kershaw out of his pension and caused him to starve to death. They “stole” a championship ring from him. Should they have done it? Just like the ‘roid guys, no. But the endless, unforgiving moral preening towards them is a bit silly. Nobody died, let it go.

18 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Sure, but it’s not like the Astros cheated Clayton Kershaw out of his pension and caused him to starve to death. They “stole” a championship ring from him. Should they have done it? Just like the ‘roid guys, no. But the endless, unforgiving moral preening towards them is a bit silly. Nobody died, let it go.

Why is it silly?  A bunch of players conducted one of the most elaborate cheating schemes in baseball history and weren’t punished at all despite being caught.  What the fuck is wrong with people holding them accountable?  I think it’s silly you think we should all pretend it didn’t happen or this is some kind of “moral preening”.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Dallas Kong said:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is pretty genius of a heckling.

It is also silly to think that players didn't get cheated out of money here.  There are a couple of careers that may have been destroyed along the way of guys who got blown up as pitchers by this scam.

It’s a game. It’s supposed to be fun. We’re not talking about a genocide here. Want to heckle them? Go for it, but make it fun.

Bring a metal trash can out on the balcony, crank up your megaphone, and bang on that thing in senseless patterns. Or shout things like, “Give me a trash can and I’ll make my grandma hit better than Carlos Correa.”

This dude just stood up there and blared out, “Jose Altuve cheated. Shame on you, Jose.”

What’s genius about that? It’s the same sort of turgid hectoring you’d find at a political protest these days.

14 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

It’s a game. It’s supposed to be fun. We’re not talking about a genocide here. Want to heckle them? Go for it, but make it fun.

Bring a metal trash can out on the balcony, crank up your megaphone, and bang on that thing in senseless patterns. Or shout things like, “Give me a trash can and I’ll make my grandma hit better than Carlos Correa.”

This dude just stood up there and blared out, “Jose Altuve cheated. Shame on you, Jose.”

What’s genius about that? It’s the same sort of turgid hectoring you’d find at a political protest these days.

good word.

48 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

It isn't about what he said, it is about how he said it.  This guy figured out how to get into a series where there was no admission to the games.  He figured out that in a normal playoff situation, there would be 40,000 people hanging on every single pitch, and his voice would never get heard, even with a bullhorn.  He also figured out how to get national media attention drawn back to the Astros, and how to make the Astros have to actually hear it, and talk about it.  Again.  No one else has managed to achieve any of it.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:07 PM, Dallas Kong said:

I’ve seen this on message boards before and I really don’t understand the “it’s just a game” or “it’s just a band” or “it’s just a movie” angle.

This entire board is about “just a game.”  

Using similar logic, anyone could respond to any opinion you post on any topic with “it’s just a game, get over it.”

How does that get us anywhere? None of this is life and death. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’ve seen this on message boards before and I really don’t understand the “it’s just a game” or “it’s just a band” or “it’s just a movie” angle.

This entire board is about “just a game.”  

Using similar logic, anyone could respond to any opinion you post on any topic with “it’s just a game, get over it.”

How does that get us anywhere? None of this is life and death. 

Because it is just a game. Heckling them is fine, but don’t be so serious about it. Reducing your chants to “shame on you” or wondering how to explain the hiring of AJ Hinch to your children is jumping the shark.

In the midst of 2020, we can all see that there are much more important things to get worked up about. Carlos Correa banging on trash cans to send signals to a teammate is douchey, but it didn’t lead to anyone getting stuffed into a cattle car or starving to death or otherwise having their human rights violated.

1 hour ago, Dallas Kong said:

Because it is just a game. Heckling them is fine, but don’t be so serious about it. Reducing your chants to “shame on you” or wondering how to explain the hiring of AJ Hinch to your children is jumping the shark.

In the midst of 2020, we can all see that there are much more important things to get worked up about. Carlos Correa banging on trash cans to send signals to a teammate is douchey, but it didn’t lead to anyone getting stuffed into a cattle car or starving to death or otherwise having their human rights violated.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.  You can be upset about political situations in this country and still have the perspective on how much less important baseball is, while still being shitty about the Astros cheating.  No one is putting it ahead of actual life or death situations here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

None of these things are mutually exclusive.  You can be upset about political situations in this country and still have the perspective on how much less important baseball is, while still being shitty about the Astros cheating.  No one is putting it ahead of actual life or death situations here.

Yea I mean if we applied "it's just a game" why get upset or show emotion about any of this ? Why have a message board. Why the outcry about Rickey ? Everyone just shut up . It's just a game.