World Series- Dodgers vs Rays

flavum

It's actually pretty amazing, but they've pulled Snell early throughout his entire career. He's only pitched beyond the 6th inning 25 times in 108 starts, including only twice in the last 2 seasons (none this year). In a SSS this year, his numbers the 2nd time through the order were actually worse than his numbers the 3rd time through. And in his career, his numbers the 3rd time through the order aren't much worse than the 2nd time through. 

Cash pulled Snell early against the Astros too and it didn't end up working out (Diego Castillo gave up 3 runs right after Snell left with 2 guys on). He probably knows more about his guys than any of us, but I'm not sure what they really see in the numbers to make a move like they did. At the very least, let Snell pitch to Mookie. He can't hit lefties for some odd reason. 

6 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

How'd it work Saturday?

Just saying you can't make a blanket statement like the more pitchers you use the better chance one will screw it up. It's baseball. Sometimes your offense will cover for pitchers mistakes and sometime pitchers will cover for the offense. Sometimes all it takes is 1 bad pitch or even one out on a bad pitch or a fluke hit, broken bat, dying quail on a great pitch to win a game.

14 hours ago, chw42 said:

It's actually pretty amazing, but they've pulled Snell early throughout his entire career. He's only pitched beyond the 6th inning 25 times in 108 starts, including only twice in the last 2 seasons (none this year). In a SSS this year, his numbers the 2nd time through the order were actually worse than his numbers the 3rd time through. And in his career, his numbers the 3rd time through the order aren't much worse than the 2nd time through. 

Cash pulled Snell early against the Astros too and it didn't end up working out (Diego Castillo gave up 3 runs right after Snell left with 2 guys on). He probably knows more about his guys than any of us, but I'm not sure what they really see in the numbers to make a move like they did. At the very least, let Snell pitch to Mookie. He can't hit lefties for some odd reason. 

The rays generally don't really let pitch pitchers pitch a third time through, especially snell. I think only glasnow did it like twice this year but generally it is a club philosophy to not let pitchers go a third time.

I can understand cash here, snell never pitched a third time through, it was a one run lead and he has one of the best and deepest pens in the game.

10 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

The rays generally don't really let pitch pitchers pitch a third time through, especially snell. I think only glasnow did it like twice this year but generally it is a club philosophy to not let pitchers go a third time.

I can understand cash here, snell never pitched a third time through, it was a one run lead and he has one of the best and deepest pens in the game.

But it didn’t work so gut people are right.... that’s the only way you’re allowed to interpret it...

Here is an article defending the snell decision. Many say that cash just went by the numbers (he is usually much worse third time through the order) and didn't watch the game but the article says that Snell was actually starting to lose velo even if it was only a couple pitches.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-defense-of-kevin-cash-pulling-blake-snell-in-the-world-series/

Edited by Dominikk85