Five Sox get Gold Glove nominations

Hamhock

3 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Rawlings announced the nominees for the 2020 Gold Gloves; amongst them were these:

Yasmani Grandal    C
James McCann    C
Danny Mendick    2B
Yoan Moncada    3B
Luis Robert    CF

Winners will be announced on Tuesday, November 3 at 6pm CT on ESPN.

None should win, IMO... maybe Moncada but I haven’t looked at the advanced metrics.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

McCann and Grandal are going against Perez. One of them will probably end up winning it. I'm just here for when Grandal wins it and half of Soxtalk complains about it.

He actually might because even though Grandal and McCann split time, Perez also only caught 32 games

Sounds like the MLB made a mistake with GG nods for 2B, and Nicky Lopez was supposed to be nominated. Now there are 4 nominees for that category when every other category has 3. Methinks someone shouldn't have been named, and Mendick (ending the year as 3rd on the depth chart) was probably the beneficiary of that mistake.

https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1319365251528347648?s=20

• Like 1

lol at Grandal on there.

Mendick didn't play enough.

Seriously, why no Jose?  I'm not sure what is going on when Jose played the best 1B of his career and he doesn't get mentioned but these other guys do?

Robert and Moncada only really deserve it.  McCann maybe also would be too many interference calls.  Both he and Grandal racked up too many of those.  We got like 4 seasons worth of C interference calls in a 60 game season.

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Sounds like the MLB made a mistake with GG nods for 2B, and Nicky Lopez was supposed to be nominated. Now there are 4 nominees for that category when every other category has 3. Methinks someone shouldn't have been named, and Mendick (ending the year as 3rd on the depth chart) was probably the beneficiary of that mistake.

https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1319365251528347648?s=20

Wow, to be honest he was the one name that really surprised me on that list.

4 hours ago, pcq said:

Mendick is the only clear winner for having his name snuck in. 

I'm happy for Mendick because he can add that to his baseball resume when he hangs things up. He had a really good season defensively and played three positions while doing it. A batting slump at the end came up to grab him but he had a good over-all season.

Surprised Abreu was named a finalist.  He had a really nice year defensively.

It's wild that Grandal and McCann were both nominated.  Their time behind the plate wasn't split 50/50, was it?

Mendick's nomination was a surprise, especially since he finished the season in the minors.  Maybe it was the dancing?

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Surprised Abreu was named a finalist.  He had a really nice year defensively.

It's wild that Grandal and McCann were both nominated.  Their time behind the plate wasn't split 50/50, was it?

Mendick's nomination was a surprise, especially since he finished the season in the minors.  Maybe it was the dancing?

He's not?