Trevor Bauer Thread (Mazara Free Zone)

southsider2k5

Adding a SP like Bauer is gonna be such an interesting talking point for us and the front office. 

Giolito and Dallas are obviously locks and Dunning has been pitching his way into that conversation as well. I would have absolutely no problem with just going Cease and Kopech to round it out with Lopez being a swing guy if needed. The Sox have also discovered they have a TON of depth in the pen, especially if they ride out Crochet, so, if the injury bug really hits and a guy like Steiver still isn't ready, they can go with bullpen days if need be.

Or, maybe you do trade a Cease or a Kopech for a long term solution to RF and then add a guy like Bauer. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Adding a SP like Bauer is gonna be such an interesting talking point for us and the front office. 

Giolito and Dallas are obviously locks and Dunning has been pitching his way into that conversation as well. I would have absolutely no problem with just going Cease and Kopech to round it out with Lopez being a swing guy if needed. The Sox have also discovered they have a TON of depth in the pen, especially if they ride out Crochet, so, if the injury bug really hits and a guy like Steiver still isn't ready, they can go with bullpen days if need be.

Or, maybe you do trade a Cease or a Kopech for a long term solution to RF and then add a guy like Bauer. 

Not gonna get a fair return on Kopech until he proves hes healthy, this would be the worst time to trade him, unless some team is dumb enough to give you a whale without doing their due diligence, but no gm in the league is gonna do that imo

probably the best time to trade Cease though, I dont think hes gonna be much better than a #4

4 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

He's technically correct.  Climate change has many contributing factors.  He's not denying that man has contributed to it, he is expressing skepticism that we could ever control it.  

Short of a mass extinction event, he's largely correct.  

that isnt how i interpreted that tweet.  the broad discussion is:  are all of these recent climate catastrophes because of man burning fossil fuels.  It isnt "Can man control the weather".  So, with that being said, I interpreted his tweet to mean: No, the changing climate is NOT because of human influence 

I mean, when you have companies who make money on the extraction of fossil fuels admitting that the climate is changing because we are burning this shit like crazy, that's a pretty good indicator that the science is legit

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/08/exxon-climate-change-1981-climate-denier-funding

The email from Exxon’s in-house climate expert provides evidence the company was aware of the connection between fossil fuels and climate change, and the potential for carbon-cutting regulations that could hurt its bottom line, over a generation ago – factoring that knowledge into its decision about an enormous gas field in south-east Asia. The field, off the coast of Indonesia, would have been the single largest source of global warming pollution at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Dude would be way too disruptive. And when he starts to decline he’ll probably be even more of a jerk. 

Hard pass on Bauer. 

We'd only consider him on a short contract which is supposedly all he wants. 1 yr deals. 

He's obviously a nut.... but too much talent not to add if you can. I think our leaders would keep him in check. If not.... we're talking one year of putting up with him. 

Just now, Capital G said:

We'd only consider him on a short contract which is supposedly all he wants. 1 yr deals. 

He's obviously a nut.... but too much talent not to add if you can. I think our leaders would keep him in check. If not.... we're talking one year of putting up with him. 

A recent interview has him softening his stance on insisting for a one year deal.

And I did forget about the throwing the ball to centerfield thing...I guess that was disruptive. Anyway, I think he would be the best possible addition this winter.

On the broadcast, they talked about Cincinnati considering using Bauer on three days rest to try to get in playoffs. Hope they try and results may be interesting. I don’t think you do it all year long but come playoffs sometimes there is consideration of pitching a guy on short rest. Obviously it would be a small sample size but some info might be interesting. 

34 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'd love him to sign here. He'd give us the #1 starter that we need, and would probably be an amazing mentor for our young pitchers. I haven't seen anything he does that disrupts his team, nor has anything ever been suggested as far as I know.

Huh? Cleveland dumped him because, during a pitching change and right in front of his manager, he chucked a ball into centerfield. His college teammate Gerritt Cole can’t stand him. There’s plenty of evidence that he’s disruptive. Now, maybe we don’t care, but he’s not gonna be Lucas Giolito in the clubhouse.

52 minutes ago, Sarava said:

A recent interview has him softening his stance on insisting for a one year deal.

And I did forget about the throwing the ball to centerfield thing...I guess that was disruptive. Anyway, I think he would be the best possible addition this winter.

The one year deal is what makes him the ideal signing. His insistence on pitching every 4 days is a major reason to question it. He would be a good acquisition for one year.

23 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

No chance the white sox and their anti analytical kinda old schoolish style stance on things will sign this legend. 

Our organization is not ran the way it should be in 2020

If you still think the Sox are anti analytical then perhaps your thinking is just as antiquated as you think the Sox are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you still think the Sox are anti analytical then perhaps your thinking is just as antiquated as you think the Sox are.

All you have to do is listen to player interviews to know that point of view went the way of fiscal conservatives in the GOP.

• Haha 1

He will get a qualifying offer.  What draft picks would you lose for one year of the player, second rounder?

I dug up.  We would lose our second rounder and that slot money in draft as well as 500k of international pool money.  Total loss not insignificant .

Edited by BamaDoc
info

36 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

How much would Bauer get on a one year deal (in normal circumstances)? $35? 40? 37?

I tend to think around $40M.  Verlander got 2/66M last offseason and it was the highest AAV for a pitcher ever.  Bauer is obviously younger and I think he would get a little more with just a one year commitment.

5 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

He will get a qualifying offer.  What draft picks would you lose for one year of the player, second rounder?

I’d give up a second rounder assuming it’s going to be a late one.  Plus we could turn around and offer him a QO the following year and get that pick back, assuming draft compensation still exists.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d give up a second rounder assuming it’s going to be a late one.  Plus we could turn around and offer him a QO the following year and get that pick back, assuming draft compensation still exists.

A player only gets a qualifying offer once so once rejected, player is free of that negative in the future.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Huh? Cleveland dumped him because, during a pitching change and right in front of his manager, he chucked a ball into centerfield. His college teammate Gerritt Cole can’t stand him. There’s plenty of evidence that he’s disruptive. Now, maybe we don’t care, but he’s not gonna be Lucas Giolito in the clubhouse.

Yeah, I followed up my post about that. You must of missed it.