Trevor Bauer Thread (Mazara Free Zone)

southsider2k5

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

He could have done a lot of things different, and the right thing would have been to ignore it. I agree with that. 

However, "Megan" deserves some blame here as well.  Just because he has the bigger following doesn't give Megan the right to be an asshole, which is 100% what she was being with her tweet. And just like Bauer could have replied instead of quote tweeted, Megan could have said "Hey Trevor Bauer, we don't want you here!" rather than tagging @BauerOutage. 

I mean, if you really want to break down the tweet, her exact wording was "Just in case there is ANY doubt in your mind Trevor WE DONT WANT YOU HERE" and on top of it, she replied to HIS tweet. So not only did she phase it directly at him by saying "Just in case there is any doubt in your mind Trevor..." but she replied to his tweet. It seems like was sort of asking for a response, no? 

I guess my point is Megan needs to be better just like Bauer does. It's a two way street here. 

Cool, well she learned her lesson.

is this Bauer’s fault for something someone else wrote? No, but it is completely predictable on what would happen to anyone who has used Twitter for longer than a day. So yes he deserves criticism for doing something that ends up encouraging a bunch of insane followers to get their misogynist  rocks off.  

I would like if Bauer signs. I’ve followed him a long time. I think he’s legit a genius. But he’s also legitimately abusive especially often punching down. But he’s not a domestic abuser, he’s not a drunk. But he is that and I don’t think people should let him off the hook when he again forgets to think through the power of his actions.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 8:03 AM, hogan873 said:

Don't forget the numerous tweets from Nightengale saying the Sox are not in contact with Bauer.

From what I can tell, Hahn plays this stuff incredibly close to the vest.  The Grandal thing came out of absolute nowhere, as did several of the extensions he pulled off.

21 hours ago, Tony said:

But again bmags.......you yourself just said "It's completely predictable on what would happen to anyone who has used Twitter for longer than a day."

You're right! It was predictable and not right by Bauer. I agree with you that she should have been better than that and not punch down. BUT....as you said, he's done this time and time again. Megan knows this, because she's used Twitter for longer than a day. So if you want to go after Bauer......you are 100% signing up for the possible ramifications of how shitty Twitter can be. That doesn't excuse ANY of the DM's or nasty comments she is getting. That's not what I'm saying. But we both agree you know that's what will happen in these cases....and she still decided to engage with Bauer. 

My point is in this specific instance with all the facts laid out, in my opinion they both shoulder the blame. 

It was stupid by her but a sports superstar is held to a higher standard than a random girl with 150 followers. 

If a girl insulted Donald trump and he responded with " kill yourself fat ass b****" people wouldn't say "they both did wrong and he just paid it back so it is ok" but the politician would be blamed more (OK that is a bad example as it probably has happened, but let's assume a regular politician who is held to standards would do this😁). 

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It was stupid by her but a sports superstar is held to a higher standard than a random girl with 150 followers. 

If a girl insulted Donald trump and he responded with " kill yourself fat ass b****" people wouldn't say "they both did wrong and he just paid it back so it is ok" but the politician would be blamed more (OK that is a bad example as it probably has happened, but let's assume a regular politician who is held to standards would do this😁). 

Big difference between a ball player and a President, though.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, Quin said:

I'm not focusing on this woman, I'm focusing specifically on Bauer's pattern of behavior. Maybe I expect too much from someone receiving millions of dollars from a professional organization.

All of this being said, I'd still sign him.

I expect nothing more of the white sox pitchers than to throw strikes and not break any laws.  Anything else they do, including getting their rocks off by trolling on twitter, couldnt care less about.  

also, i dont buy this argument that bauer is somehow responsible for the actions of other people. Its similar to people blaming moises alous reaction for the treatment bartman got.  

On 10/14/2020 at 2:24 PM, bmags said:

Cool, well she learned her lesson.

is this Bauer’s fault for something someone else wrote? No, but it is completely predictable on what would happen to anyone who has used Twitter for longer than a day. So yes he deserves criticism for doing something that ends up encouraging a bunch of insane followers to get their misogynist  rocks off.  

I would like if Bauer signs. I’ve followed him a long time. I think he’s legit a genius. But he’s also legitimately abusive especially often punching down. But he’s not a domestic abuser, he’s not a drunk. But he is that and I don’t think people should let him off the hook when he again forgets to think through the power of his actions.

If you cant handle a few death threats in the dms on twitter, than twitters not for you.  This is obviously tongue in cheek. But honestly, like 99% of death threats arent legitimate threats. God ive lost count of the number of “death threats” ive gotten for cheesing fifa in online games.  

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, Quin said:

Less offended and more "expect a professional pitcher to not be a complete dumbass on Twitter." 

I've had friends and coworkers get rape and death threats simply for having bylines at major publications. If someone says something to Bauer on twitter, then he decides to "flex his online muscle" and ultimately not sign with their team (which would be completely independent of the twitter incident), Twitter trolls would 100% harass the person to no end.

Is it fucking stupid? Yes. Should they just not engage with someone like Bauer? Yes. Should Bauer realize he's a professional athlete and be the bigger person? Yes.

First I agree like 50% with you - i agree with almost all of the last sentences/line. But I'd agree with you more if Bauer said anything even remotely bad. Also ask an Ashley Rodon or any of these players/players wives the shit they have to endure from Joe nobody on a couch whos fat, out of shape, and trying to find joy through a baseball GAME. 

I think we have to start giving people more credit in this world, let them make their own conclusions. Imagine if just because you were admin on this site that you had to censor what you said, or you know, every critical comment you made you had to watch beacuse the people of Sox Talk respected you/looked up to you so much, that we were out there giving death threats to Tony LaRussa or Nomar Mazara (just two disliked guys on the board). Would you think that's fair to you to have to censor yourself? 

Like, lets say someone posted, "Nomar Mazara is such a bum, he doesn't deserve to be on this team, just if there is any doubt in your mind Nomar WE DONT WANT YOU HERE!"

And then you responded - hey Sox Talk, is Matt (me)  your official sox talk spokesperson? Should Nomar not resign his Sox contract?? Please advise. 

And beacuse you have so much clout as an admin of the site people started coming after me giving me death threats... 

What I am saying, yes, that's a wild hypothetical becauase we're nobodies on a message board (and nobody wants Mazara back haha), but imagine walking in their shoes ... was the exchange really that bad?

The tweet exchange: Just in case there is ANY doubt in your mind Trevor WE DONT WANT YOU HERE

The response: Hey Dodgers fans is ________ your official spokesperson? Should I cancel my trip to LA or ...?? Please advise

If Megan was Bob would this be a story? Do you really think that Bauer cared if it was Bob or Megan? Now he's got blue check marks calling him misogynistic over that above exchange.. just seems like this world has gone overboard with overreactions...  

11 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I expect nothing more of the white sox pitchers than to throw strikes and not break any laws.  Anything else they do, including getting their rocks off by trolling on twitter, couldnt care less about.  

also, i dont buy this argument that bauer is somehow responsible for the actions of other people. Its similar to people blaming moises alous reaction for the treatment bartman got.  

If you cant handle a few death threats in the dms on twitter, than twitters not for you.  This is obviously tongue in cheek. But honestly, like 99% of death threats arent legitimate threats. God ive lost count of the number of “death threats” ive gotten for cheesing fifa in online games.  

And kind of this too. I mean, Ill come off as an asshole, but I think there is a difference between " go kill yourself you fat piece of shit" and reality. We're like 2 decades into the internet and being able to instantly connect with billions of people in the world. I think we're just figuring the rules, norms, and how to handle it. 

I give 30% of the blame to Megan, 60% to the people responding like assholes, and 10% to Bauer. 

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wonder if Steve throwing this out there is publicly declaring Sox going after him aggressively. 

I still feel that offering him the starter/pitching coach hybrid role would sway him to join any team. Build out a plan and a framework for a few year deal, and it transitions to full time pitching coach upon career end. I doubt the sox would be willing to commit to that type of contract (still has years left of starting)...but any team that does will surely have an edge with him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Wonder if Steve throwing this out there is publicly declaring Sox going after him aggressively. 

I still feel that offering him the starter/pitching coach hybrid role would sway him to join any team. Build out a plan and a framework for a few year deal, and it transitions to full time pitching coach upon career end. I doubt the sox would be willing to commit to that type of contract (still has years left of starting)...but any team that does will surely have an edge with him. 

Lol are you serious?  I can't think of any team that would do that, and rightfully so.  I like Bauer, but could you imagine if this theoretical 10-ish year dual role deal is signed, and then one night Bauer gets pissy at someone on twitter and it just explodes in everyone's face?

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

FWIW, Bauer sure implies he’s going to end up signing a multi-year deal in his latest VLog

Job security is a hell of a thing.  One year deals sounds like you are sticking it to the man but you are one Tommy John surgery away from those one year deals getting a hell of a lot smaller

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Job security is a hell of a thing.  One year deals sounds like you are sticking it to the man but you are one Tommy John surgery away from those one year deals getting a hell of a lot smaller

Especially when your value has never been higher 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lol are you serious?  I can't think of any team that would do that, and rightfully so.  I like Bauer, but could you imagine if this theoretical 10-ish year dual role deal is signed, and then one night Bauer gets pissy at someone on twitter and it just explodes in everyone's face?

I don't see it as a 10 year dual role. I see it as 3-4 years guaranteed playing...and then option years if he decides to continue pitching, or it transfers to a coaching role full time. 
It would have to include opt-outs and a ton of creativity. Do I think this is outside the box...of course, is it likely to happen...No, it's not. But if any team WERE to offer something interesting like this (no one is offering pitch every 4 days), he would be swayed. His analytical side to me is honestly even more of a bonus than his pitching ability. He WILL be the best pitching coach in baseball when he retires from the game, so why not break the mold. Co-pitching coach is fine if you want to bring up someone from the system as well to handle in game coaching. 

Question:

If you could have Bauer sign with the Sox but that meant having to live with Blake Rutherford in right field... would you do it?

Consider that all reports out of Schaumburg were that Blake has turned a corner and was showing a lot of his power potential realized.

Also consider that Bauer makes our 1 - 3 SP amazing and really sets us up well in filling the 4/5 spots.

Final consideration would be spreading out resources for another lower tier starting pitcher and signing a more impactful MLB proven right fielder.

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Question:

If you could have Bauer sign with the Sox but that meant having to live with Blake Rutherford in right field... would you do it?

Consider that all reports out of Schaumburg were that Blake has turned a corner and was showing a lot of his power potential realized.

Also consider that Bauer makes our 1 - 3 SP amazing and really sets us up well in filling the 4/5 spots.

Final consideration would be spreading out resources for another lower tier starting pitcher and signing a more impactful MLB proven right fielder.

What do you think?

No, not next year. I maybe could live with Bauer/L Garcia/Engel with hopes of colas being ready enough the year after or seeing if blake really did turn a corner.

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Question:

What do you think?

I would be happy bringing back Palka for RF if it meant we were signing Bauer.   Starting pitching is our absolute #1 need imho & Bauer is my numero uno target.

• Like 3

Say Bauer gives ~5 WAR and with an in house RF you get ~1 WAR... so you’re at 6 WAR.

Does something like Stroman and Peterson get you to ~6 WAR?

I’m also in the “get Bauer at all costs” camp. Could totally live with anything in house in right and just wait for us to develop a cost controlled fixture for that spot in the future.

Palka was terrible. I’m assuming you were just kidding about bringing him back. Pitching is always the number one priority. I could live with Rutherford. He’s a big guy so hearing that he has some power is not out of the realm of possibility. 

hahn hasn’t signed a good DH or right fielder since Dye showed up here. If we sign Bauer we wouldn’t need a beast in RF. I’d let Rutherford or someone like him see if they can take the position.

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

I would be happy bringing back Palka for RF if it meant we were signing Bauer.   Starting pitching is our absolute #1 need imho & Bauer is my numero uno target.

I’d argue the exact opposite. If you have a great weakness in your lineup, that weakness will always find a way to cost you games, particularly on defense. Remember that if we ant a title, teams like the Dodgers are standing in the way - how do those lineups and rotations stack up? At least give me a guy who can field out there, if he can’t hit well I can live with catching the ball.