Trevor Bauer Thread (Mazara Free Zone)

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

Then Coop needs to ride off into the sunset. If he can't get on board with the current analytics of baseball, he's a dinosaur and needs to be replaced.

I soured on Coop back in January when he was on the White Sox Talk podcast with Chuck. They were talking about analytics and some of the tools at the Sox disposal and Rapsodo came up. Chuck interjected and said "...you mentioned Rapsodo. For those people who don't know, can you explain it?" and Coop responded, "No, let them go figure that out...that's not worth my time". Some people may just shrug that off, but it sounded to me like he doesn't fully understand how to implement it. 

https://theathletic.com/1188532/2019/09/06/now-its-all-in-house-white-sox-pitchers-tout-a-leap-forward-in-data-usage-this-season/

If you want to be critical of someone and make a lot of assumptions, make sure you read up about them beforehand.

2 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

Then Coop needs to ride off into the sunset. If he can't get on board with the current analytics of baseball, he's a dinosaur and needs to be replaced.

I soured on Coop back in January when he was on the White Sox Talk podcast with Chuck. They were talking about analytics and some of the tools at the Sox disposal and Rapsodo came up. Chuck interjected and said "...you mentioned Rapsodo. For those people who don't know, can you explain it?" and Coop responded, "No, let them go figure that out...that's not worth my time". Some people may just shrug that off, but it sounded to me like he doesn't fully understand how to implement it. 

One thing of note, Don Cooper has always been an ass.  He doesn't give friendly interviews, which is why he is rarely talked to.  Just because he doesn't want to explain something doesn't mean he doesn't understand, it means he doesn't care if fans do or not.  All you have to do is note all of the players that talk about this stuff, how deep the implementation is, and how much it is used in the organization to know it would be impossible for Don Cooper to not being utilizing this stuff.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

https://theathletic.com/1188532/2019/09/06/now-its-all-in-house-white-sox-pitchers-tout-a-leap-forward-in-data-usage-this-season/

If you want to be critical of someone and make a lot of assumptions, make sure you read up about them beforehand.

I'm well aware of the content in that article, the podcast that I quoted above was specifically in reference to the Sox increased use of analytics and how the Sox as a whole are becoming more analytically minded. I'm not suggesting that no one in the organization knows how to apply it, but Coop specifically when he was asked about it couldn't even cobble together a few syllables about what it is. That's not a very good look from the pitching coach during an interview about pitching analytics.

10 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I'm well aware of the content in that article, the podcast that I quoted above was specifically in reference to the Sox increased use of analytics and how the Sox as a whole are becoming more analytically minded. I'm not suggesting that no one in the organization knows how to apply it, but Coop specifically when he was asked about it couldn't even cobble together a few syllables about what it is. That's not a very good look from the pitching coach during an interview about pitching analytics.

Coop doesn't give info to the media or press ever.

55 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Coop is never a good look for the organization unless the look you are going for is the crotechy guy sitting at the corner of the bar. 

1 hour ago, oneofthemikes said:

You must not have caught many Cooper interviews, because they all go like this.

9 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

This.

The only two starters they can count consistently were developed elsewhere, or eliminated 100% of Cooper’s White Sox input to work with his high school pitching coach.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 7:27 AM, oneofthemikes said:

I would surmise TB knows Coop and would rather not.

Coop is coop.. first of all we dont know much ... i'm sure he's not the most forward on technology, but he does hold one of 30 MLB pitching coach positions, so i'd guess he takes in more than we think. 

Second, coop works for some right? from what I gather over the years he's an asset to the head case guys a bit more.. so the guys who have the "stuff" but sometimes overthink things. he's the take the ball and throw it guy. simplify it. a pitching coach, or really even a hitting coach to me is like a swing coach for golf. You don't want to recreate the wheel. You want to have a guy who finds something and says, hey, your hands are coming through too quickly, or when you line up on the ball your left foot is back a little.. but you don't want to recreate the whole golf swing, you just modify it and let the golfer find his own stuff. That works for a lot of guys, and lets be honest, even outside of Reinsdorf, Coop wouldn't have a job for 20 years without it being successful. What maybe I'd like to see instead of firing coop is bringing in another guy. Bring in an analytics guy too. Let the players gravitate to whoever they connect with more. 

also bauer is our harper/machado .... in reach, but doubtful. Like the 1 in 10 type of thing. 

Bauer will sign for either the highest 1 year deal ... so something like 1 year, $35mm ... maybe even more... regardless of who that team is. Even if it was the Astros or he will sign the most lucrative deal over a longer term. I think we all know that isn't us. We are Stroman ... we are Wheeler... we are Keuchel .... we are Grandal ... we're not Haper, Machado, Cole, Betts, etc. We go for second tier. The only reason I am even remotely entertaining this as a possibility is that Bauer has expressed being okay with a 1 year deal, or shorter term deal at high AAV. Reinsdorf does love his short committments and his older ... so maybe he does say ... okay 3 years, $120mm, lets do it. 10-15% in my opinion. Especially if the yankees lose this year again. They're rolling out Montgomery ... Dievi Garcia, etc. and i know that's because Severino is hurt, but realistically they could use Bauer and would be willing to spend. 

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bauer won’t sign with the Yankees or Astros, I can almost guarantee that. He might trade it now, but he’s just trolling.

I actually think it's the yankees that won't sign Bauer. He really is probably better off staying midwest or going west where sports media has a hard time paying attention to players.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I actually think it's the yankees that won't sign Bauer. He really is probably better off staying midwest or going west where sports media has a hard time paying attention to players.

He would get destroyed by the NYC and Boston media.  Probably Philly too.  He can get away with being himself in most markets who will be just happy to have him, but the first time he starts something in a place like Yankee stadium, the tabloids there will have a field day.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He would get destroyed by the NYC and Boston media.  Probably Philly too.  He can get away with being himself in most markets who will be just happy to have him, but the first time he starts something in a place like Yankee stadium, the tabloids there will have a field day.

You want to be forgotten by MLB media...sign with the Dodgers or Angels.

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

You say this but TA and Luis Robert got way more coverage than Trout this year

I think the Angels yet again being less than mediocre hurt him a lot but then again the MLB has largely ignored Trout for like ten years anyways