Is Ozuna the Answer in right field?

AJ'S Cousin

Is Marcell Ozuna the answer in Right Field?? Signed a 1 year 18 million deal last year with Atlanta. They want him back, only 30 years old. Hits for a much higher average than Mazara and consistent power. A year younger than Springer.  Average at best outfielder. Springer better defensively but a year older. No big deal there but Ozuna could easily hit 40 HR's at Sox park, especially in the summer and with the protection he'd be surrounded by and the protection he also could provide hitting 5th or 6th.  4 years 100 million could get it done.

Edited by AJ'S Cousin
forgot a few thoughts

Nah. They do not need to spend $20M/year on offense. They are going to have a lot of offense next season. Think about this year's team plus a healthy Moncada and a young Vaughn along with an additional production in right field. This in addition to a maturing of Robert into a more disciplined hitter as well as a healthy Jimenez. I believe that the White Sox next season will set offensive records for runs scored big time. Jerry needs to open the wallet and bring a couple of solid starting pitchers into the fold.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's not the worst idea. Ozuna can at least hit enough to overcome his defensive faults. I would rather see us spend first on a starter, and second on a closer.

They should resign Colome. With Bummer, Huerer, Marshall, Burdi an additional group of dependable relief arms.

Yeah, I had to re-check why I didn't want him.

Ozuna hadn't played RF since 2017, and in that season, he did so for all of 1.1 innings. This year, he played all of 17 innings in RF, and he graded out poorly at the position. He's not a RFer.

Agreed that I'd rather spend on TWO SPs, and a closer. Looking at the FA closers list, it probably should be Colome, since I don't really see anyone else who should be worth a premium at that position.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

I’m fine with a springer or Pederson addition and not blowing the load on him. I do worry about an Abreu regression to the norm but hopefully Moncada comes back to normal. When it’s all said and done this team needs to really hit on RF and DH this offseason in whatever way they decide to go. They have had the worst luck with both of those positions producing anything as of late. 

I've looked at Joc's stats. 250 hitter. I'm ok with that, we got plenty of hitters to carry a 250 hitter. his OBP is 330 to 350. he averages around 28 HR'S a year. Currently playing left field because of Betts. He's better defensively than Mazara. So is Engel at 10% of the cost. Mazara might get 6 million in arbitration or 3 million. who knows.  is Joc worth 2 or 3 times the price of Mazara?? Not sure. It's a cost thing with me. Bauer and Stroman + Engel in right as opposed to Ozuna or Peterson?? I started this Ozuna discussion and not flip flopping, or maybe I am. I'll take a combination of 2 very good starters and maybe a super starter like Bauer plus whoever and live Engel in right so we have the money for 2 pitchers, A BAUER AND A STROMAN OR EQUIVALENT OF STROMAN IS THE ANSWER.  As we see with this current World Series and our failure in the playoffs, you need 3 Studs on the mound plus a 4th. Cease or whoever. Kopech?? 

Ozuna has played only 67 games in RF out of 934 in his career, with only a handful in RF since 2016.  39 of 60 at DH this past season, 19 in LF, 2 in RF.  Love the bat, but probably not the best fit defensively.  His 2020 probably prices him out of the Sox range anyway with pitching being the more pressing issue.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, BamaDoc said:

No.  Not left handed and at that cost hurts ability to spend on pitching

Agreed but his bat solidifies this offense such that you wouldn't have to spend more on pitching.  You plug him in this past season instead of Mazara and add back Kopech I think the Sox make it to the ALCS at least.

No, still not the answer for this roster.

Though, despite his shortcomings, he'd have been a MEASURABLY better option than Mazara in 2020.

If the Sox want to do RF right for this window of contention, they'd get an above average defensive OF who can hit left handed and mashes righties.  That isn't Ozuna.