2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This accomplishes nothing. Not having a majority stonewalls policy with McConnell in charge.

Dems can't get anything done without control. From a policy standpoint it may be even more exhausting over the next two years.

This election has materially changed nothing other than preventing a lot of news cycle related headaches and mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybe getting a better handle on COIVD

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Small victories are still victories. 

I wouldn't call anything that has happened a victory for Democrats, and I fear if Democrats view this as a victory they are merely going to get further and further from the left that they should be pushing towards. The "centrist" mindset they have instilled, and their relationships with big money, is destructive and alienates vast swaths of the populace. They are always so worried about getting the "middle" vote that they are practically now a conservative party if they existed in any other western nations.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Recount guaranteed to happen. Results by Christmas.

Scott Walker of all people said that a recount most likely will not move the needle. You can flip maybe a few hundred, but 20k to flip is far too much. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Based on what? Republicans have increased government size and spending more than Democrats over the past 30 years. This small-fed narrative around the right is just nonsense.

Regulations. Fracking is a huge issue here. Rural citizens don't like being told what they can and can't do with their property. Those tax cuts, especially on land and inheritance are nice. 

We're not exactly cutting taxes and regulations either. So they keep voting GOP.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

This election has materially changed nothing other than preventing a lot of news cycle related headaches and mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybe getting a better handle on COIVD

If Biden wins, I think we'll see a big change in the approach to handling COVID.  Whether or not local governments and the public in general heed the approach is a different story.

The biggest change we'll see, especially if the GOP maintains control of the Senate, is a new cabinet.  Which will be a good thing.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Have you people not watched anything over the past 4 years? The corruption of the Department of Justice? Immigrant camps on the border and hundreds of children literally orphaned from their families permanently? Dismantling of EPA regulations and enforcement? Devastation of the ranks  of scientists in the government? There's so much that's done explicitly by the Executive Branch. Don't forget things just because they don't impact you.

• Love 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I wouldn't call anything that has happened a victory for Democrats, and I fear if Democrats view this as a victory they are merely going to get further and further from the left that they should be pushing towards.

Change is slow. Right now the US is in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic. The objective was to win, even if it is by 1. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Have you people not watched anything over the past 4 years? The corruption of the Department of Justice? Immigrant camps on the border and hundreds of children literally orphaned from their families permanently? Dismantling of EPA regulations and enforcement? Devastation of the ranks  of scientists in the government? There's so much that's done explicitly by the Executive Branch. Don't forget things just because they don't impact you.

I am well aware of all of that and I don't expect Biden to be able to reverse the damage done. Things won't get markedly worse, which is good, but we're heading toward 4 years of nothing.  

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Regulations. Fracking is a huge issue here. Rural citizens don't like being told what they can and can't do with their property. Those tax cuts, especially on land and inheritance are nice. 

We're not exactly cutting taxes and regulations either. So they keep voting GOP.

Yeah, that's great... here's the thing, there will be no such thing as property or earth if they don't understand the damages being caused by their mindset. It's time to start thinking about the future and not just the next 3 years of ones life. That also means Dems need to have a plan to create jobs in those hard hit areas - like Ohio, PA, WV and northwest Texas and not just leave those people behind.

And by the way, deregulation is one of the most dangerous fiscal moves one can participate in; and no one deregulated Banks and Wall Street like Clinton and Bush and it caused the destruction of many.

Tax cuts are nonsense; the tax cuts granted by Trump very rarely help anyone on the bottom of the spectrum; it is a fallacy to insinuate otherwise.

Basically their entire argument is built around lies and misinformation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Obama deported more immigrants than any POTUS in history. Obama built the camps and the cages. Did he stop using them at the end of his term and change his stance? Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that he was every bit as complicit as Trump and even is a big reason Trump has the power to do what he's doing. This is exactly the rhetoric many are tired of; this flat out dishonesty where Trump is this new-age evil that we've never seen before who came out of nowhere instead of Trump is merely a consequence for the actions of previous POTUS expansion of power and identity politics.

Trump is a horrible man; Obama is likely a better man. Obama killed more people through drone strikes, assassinated American citizens without trial, and deported millions.

As for your other points, incredibly true and important. The assault on climate change and science by the right is perhaps the most dangerous position a political party has taken around the world ever; it could literally destroy the planet. But yet, the Dems laugh at a massive green new deal that would practically pay for itself and help the environment because they are in bed with banks and oil companies and the likes. People like Joe Biden have somehow been in public service for 50 years and he's somehow worth 9 million dollars... hmm

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Obama deported more immigrants than any POTUS in history. Obama built the camps and the cages. Did he stop using them at the end of his term and change his stance? Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that he was every bit as complicit as Trump and even is a big reason Trump has the power to do what he's doing. This is exactly the rhetoric many are tired of; this flat out dishonesty where Trump is this new-age evil that we've never seen before who came out of nowhere instead of Trump is merely a consequence for the actions of previous POTUS expansion of power and identity politics.

Trump is a horrible man; Obama is likely a better man. Obama killed more people through drone strikes, assassinated American citizens without trial, and deported millions.

As for your other points, incredibly true and important. The assault on climate change and science by the right is perhaps the most dangerous position a political party has taken around the world ever; it could literally destroy the planet. But yet, the Dems laugh at a massive green new deal that would practically pay for itself and help the environment because they are in bed with banks and oil companies and the likes. People like Joe Biden have someone been in public service for 40 years and he's somehow worth 9 million dollars... hmm

I'm just going to do this one in reply.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm just going to do this one in reply.

Did Obama treat people seeking Asylum better? Yes. Did Obama manage the kids and families at the border better? Sure. But he still did horrible things to immigrants. Obama also funded ICE and supported it; and the fact I said is a fact, he deported more people than any POTUS in history. He uprooted people who had lived her for years and sent them packing. As things went on in his tenure, he backed off of much of this and become a much more compassionate man about this stuff, but do not pretend that the Obama admin didn't do TERRIBLE things to immigrants and their families.

Basically the argument has been year, Obama destroyed a lot of lives but he feels bad about it.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

NV is closer than AZ.

AZ and GA would seem to have similar chances for flipping. 

We know what's out there re: Nevada and that should favor Biden. I have no idea what to make of this Arizona thing

Just now, mqr said:

We know what's out there re: Nevada and that should favor Biden. I have no idea what to make of this Arizona thing

Well just by the math we have the following:

AZ: 2.7 mil counted. It says 86% counted, but lets play it safe and say 80%. That would be about 540,000 votes, Biden is up 90k. Trump would need to win 320k to 220k to win.. Certainly possible, but most of the Blue counties are sub 90% reporting. Biden just needs to break even with the rest of the vote.

Right now over 50% of AZ is coming from 2 counties, Pima and Maricopa. Biden is leads in both of those counties and both are reporting under 90%.

Anything is possible and who knows what hasnt been reported, but the numbers that are unreported are objectively better for Biden than Trump.

7 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Where are you guys getting your info?

From you guys! hah

one perk of working from home is I've got the TV's on a couple channels while I rage through datafiles that look like they were built by a toddler. That said, I still am listening and refreshing this site as well.

42 minutes ago, mqr said:

I am well aware of all of that and I don't expect Biden to be able to reverse the damage done. Things won't get markedly worse, which is good, but we're heading toward 4 years of nothing.  

Uhhh he would appoint new agency heads to fulfill the mission of each office. Not that hard if he wins.

The best indicator of whether a state will be won or lost by Trump, is if Trump is pre-emptively complaining about it.

Right now AZ is being attacked because they are alleging that voters who used "black sharpies" were not calculated correctly. They are arguing that this happened predominently in GOP counties.

I could make jokes about black sharpies, but this is a real theory right now to try and support why AZ isnt really blue.