2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

Just now, Heads22 said:

You'd have Trump re-elected at 269

What is really fun is that you have to wait for electoral votes to be counted.  Most states reseat their office holders on Jan 1.  In theory there might not be states who have officially certified their electoral votes by that point, and then it would move to the new legislators.

Jan Jorgensen has been campaigning across the country since the summer and said many supporters have come from across party lines – mainly, "recovering Democrats" who want troops called home from overseas missions and Republicans upset that Trump failed to cut the national budget deficit as he promised during his 2016 campaign, she said.

The major parties' close race this election should be a wake-up call, Jorgensen added.

"If I can get Republicans to start acting like Republicans and cutting the deficit. And if I can get the Democrats to go back to being the party of peace, bringing our troops home, and giving the average individual their rights? Then yes, I would be very pleased."

About 70% of Jorgensen's campaign volunteers were registered Democrats or Republicans, she said.

"In the personal conversations I had (on the campaign trail) a lot of people would say, 'Yeah, in 2016 I voted for Trump. I was so excited and then he didn't follow through on his promises,'" she said.

Jorgensen performed the best in rural, Western states. She secured 2.7% of the vote in Alaska and North Dakota and 2.6% of the vote in South Dakota, according to the AP.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/libertarian-candidate-jo-jorgensen-pulls-161532757.html

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Not likley - but I think that scenario only happens if Trump wins every remaining state but Georgia (including flips Arizona) and Biden than wins Georgia, right?  

Correct.  Only tie scenario left is if Georgia goes Biden and literally nothing else.  Odds are near zero of that, but that is the only chance at a tie.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Jan Jorgensen has been campaigning across the country since the summer and said many supporters have come from across party lines – mainly, "recovering Democrats" who want troops called home from overseas missions and Republicans upset that Trump failed to cut the national budget deficit as he promised during his 2016 campaign, she said.

The major parties' close race this election should be a wake-up call, Jorgensen added.

"If I can get Republicans to start acting like Republicans and cutting the deficit. And if I can get the Democrats to go back to being the party of peace, bringing our troops home, and giving the average individual their rights? Then yes, I would be very pleased."

About 70% of Jorgensen's campaign volunteers were registered Democrats or Republicans, she said.

"In the personal conversations I had (on the campaign trail) a lot of people would say, 'Yeah, in 2016 I voted for Trump. I was so excited and then he didn't follow through on his promises,'" she said.

Jorgensen performed the best in rural, Western states. She secured 2.7% of the vote in Alaska and North Dakota and 2.6% of the vote in South Dakota, according to the AP.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/libertarian-candidate-jo-jorgensen-pulls-161532757.html

I actually really like Jorgensen.  I wish we had a 3rd party in this country...I would like a more fiscally conservative/socially aware party.  This would align with myself more.

• Like 2

Just now, BFirebird said:

I actually really like Jorgensen.  I wish we had a 3rd party in this country...I would like a more fiscally conservative/socially aware party.  This would align with myself more.

Would need to totally rebuild the electoral system for that. 

Let’s not forget North Carolina shifting, possibly.

Though Trump prematurely declared victory in the state early Wednesday, this race is too early to call, with thousands of mail ballots and potentially thousands of provisional ballots still left to count.

If Cunningham somehow eked out a victory over Tillis, those two January runoff campaigns in a clearly divided Georgia are going to be nuts.

Trump, out of boredom assuming he loses, will spend every day holding rallies across the state.   That would also be unprecedented behavior for/from a lame duck president. He probably would give Loeffler and Perdue about one minute each to speak, like he did with McSally in AZ.  “Nobody really wants to hear her, right?”

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Could you define socially aware before I agree with you?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Let’s not forget North Carolina shifting, possibly.

Though Trump prematurely declared victory in the state early Wednesday, this race is too early to call, with thousands of mail ballots and potentially thousands of provisional ballots still left to count.

If Cunningham somehow eked out a victory over Tillis, those two January runoff campaigns in a clearly divided Georgia are going to be nuts.

Trump, out of boredom assuming he loses, will spend every day holding rallies across the state.   That would also be unprecedented behavior for a lame duck president. 

Nah, he's going golfing at his properties with double the secret service folks. It's great for business.

Just now, knightni said:

How true is the rumor that Trump could run as an independent "Trump" party candidate in 2024?

4 years from now he will be 4 more years into the brain cell destruction time of life. He won't run again. He'll lose, and if he ran as a 3rd party and got his base to vote for him again, he would be handing Biden, or probably more likely Kamala, the next election.

9 minutes ago, knightni said:

How true is the rumor that Trump could run as an independent "Trump" party candidate in 2024?

I'd support the hell out of that plan. Get Mitch and the boys together. Run real conservatives everywhere. 

45 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But what is a single Trump policy/plan proposed for his second term that you are actually for?

Because being afraid of everything (“American Carnage” inauguration speech) is not a feasible philosophy for governing...it is one for deliberately dividing the country and alienating various groups of Americans, turning them against each other.

I see it with my own eyes on livestream in Portland and Seattle. That's why I'm "afraid" of the guys in full body armor who beat the hell out of people in the streets who don't share their idiology.

Trump plans I'm for? Economy (no new taxes on me). Law and order in the streets (he would have cracked down in his his second term on governors and mayors who allow the destruction). Gun owners rights (people need to defend themselves). Stuff like that. I resigned myself a long time ago Joe would win. It was obvious to all. So I hope he does well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I see it with my own eyes on livestream in Portland and Seattle. That's why I'm "afraid" of the guys in full body armor who beat the hell out of people in the streets who don't share their idiology.

Trump plans I'm for? Economy (no new taxes on me). Law and order in the streets (he would have cracked down in his his second term on governors and mayors who allow the destruction). Gun owners rights (people need to defend themselves). Stuff like that. I resigned myself a long time ago Joe would win. It was obvious to all. So I hope he does well.

Did you attend Trump University?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Don't you feel it growing, day by day
People getting ready for the news
Some are happy, some are sad
Whoa, gotta let the music play

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Could you define socially aware before I agree with you?

Think of actual Republican fiscal conservatism (not the ballooning deficit we have now from both parties) & that doesn't believe that things like abortion should be politicized and that environmental factors are real.  Smaller government and less spending.

https://jo20.com/issues/