2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

Just now, greg775 said:

With all due respect why the angst? Biden never was in trouble in this thing. 

Hindsight tells us that may be true.  But because Trump took FL and OH, which were hopeful for Biden, there was a lot of concern.  Those who really understood what was going to happen with the mail-in votes being counted late were much more confident.  The general Democratic public was very concerned Tuesday night.  I know I went to bed expecting another 2016.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You must not watch the streams .... DANGER, nightly danger. One of my goals in life is to never get hit by a baseball bat or have everything I own smashed by baseball bats.

And there are Trump supporters literally caging in voters by corralling cars around them, wearing tactical vests, pulling guns on folks, etc.  There are crazies on both sides and we should be doing everything we can to calm those extremists.

Just now, hogan873 said:

Hindsight tells us that may be true.  But because Trump took FL and OH, which were hopeful for Biden, there was a lot of concern.  Those who really understood what was going to happen with the mail-in votes being counted late were much more confident.  The general Democratic public was very concerned Tuesday night.  I know I went to bed expecting another 2016.

Early on there was a lot of missing knowledge about which states were counting which ballots in which order.  Florida and Ohio counted early ballots early, while places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania were prevented to do so by state law.  The numbers were a confusing jumble of trends without that knowledge, and at one point seeing Florida and Ohio collapse to Trump, while the PA/GA/WI/MI trend was also to Trump was definitely nerve-wracking.  After the deeper explanations got out about these state by states processes, yesterday itself was a much more relaxing day.  It was clear by yesterday evening it was probably over, but seeing GA and PA flipped were great moments.

3 minutes ago, bigruss said:

And there are Trump supporters literally caging in voters by corralling cars around them, wearing tactical vests, pulling guns on folks, etc.  There are crazies on both sides and we should be doing everything we can to calm those extremists.

Are there though?  Are there armed left wingers surrounding vote counting stations in AZ and NV demanding that they stop counting votes?  Is the Biden camp filing lawsuits to try to shutdown and throw out votes?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are there though?  Are there armed left wingers surrounding vote counting stations in AZ and NV demanding that they stop counting votes?  Is the Biden camp filing lawsuits to try to shutdown and throw out votes?

I do think there are valid concerns on how some leftists have approached some of the protests, or have engaged with people in a way that's not healthy for either side.

But the videos I've seen of those convoys and crap from Trump supports is absolutely abhorrent and the police's reaction to them is just as appalling if not more.

1 minute ago, bigruss said:

I do think there are valid concerns on how some leftists have approached some of the protests, or have engaged with people in a way that's not healthy for either side.

But the videos I've seen of those convoys and crap from Trump supports is absolutely abhorrent and the police's reaction to them is just as appalling if not more.

I mean,...

https://www.startribune.com/charges-boogaloo-bois-fired-on-mpls-precinct-shouted-justice-for-floyd/572843802/

In the wake of protests following the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a member of the Boogaloo Bois opened fire on the Minneapolis Police Third Precinct with an AK-47-style gun and screamed “Justice for Floyd” as he ran away, according to a federal complaint made public Friday.

A sworn affidavit by the FBI underlying the complaint reveals new details about a far-right anti-government group’s coordinated role in the violence that roiled through civil unrest over Floyd’s death while in police custody.

Ivan Harrison Hunter, a 26-year-old from Boerne, Texas, is charged with one count of interstate travel to incite a riot for his alleged role in ramping up violence during the protests in Minneapolis on May 27 and 28. According to charges, Hunter, wearing a skull mask and tactical gear, shot 13 rounds at the south Minneapolis police headquarters while people were inside. He also looted and helped set the building ablaze, according to the complaint, which was filed Monday under seal.

In case someone happens to not know, that's a far-right, strongly pro-Trump group. This event was staged and triggered by Right Wing groups so that the "leftists" would take the blame.

So how many of the times it went over the line were actual "leftists" and how many were staged?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean,...

https://www.startribune.com/charges-boogaloo-bois-fired-on-mpls-precinct-shouted-justice-for-floyd/572843802/

In case someone happens to not know, that's a far-right, strongly pro-Trump group. This event was staged and triggered by Right Wing groups so that the "leftists" would take the blame.

So how many of the times it went over the line were actual "leftists" and how many were staged?

Look, if you're asking if I think this is a bigger problem on the right side I would 100% agree.  Not to say there aren't issues on the left side (not as bad, not as often, etc but there are issues).

20 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Election night was terrible for Biden. I knew that mail-in votes would bring him closer in PA, MI, and WI, but some of those were big leads, especially PA. 

Good thing I didn't watch then. I was never in doubt that I was a huge winner on this baby.

20 minutes ago, bigruss said:

I don't care which side the mob is on ... I don't want to be unarmed when they come knocking, I mean bashing down, my door. Did u see last night the mob marched to the house of the Seattle congressperson who voted to keep funding for police? It was something out of Orwell. They marched to KILL. Again, I don't care who the mob represents ... I need to be safe in my country, the USA!

• Haha 1

Just now, greg775 said:

I don't care which side the mob is on ... I don't want to be unarmed when they come knocking, I mean bashing down, my door. Did u see last night the mob marched to the house of the Seattle congressperson who voted to keep funding for police? It was something out of Orwell. They marched to KILL. Again, I don't care who the mob represents ... I need to be safe in my country, the USA!

Did they kill anyone?  I think you're teetering on freedom for security and that can be dangerous too.  

• Thanks 1

It amuses me that the republicans efforts to delay the mail in counts didn't do whatever it was they were going for (I'm betting on sowing general distrust) and instead turned this into a days long dunk fest for libs rather than ripping the band aid off tuesday

Black Bloc has been around forever and are not exactly core Dem voters. They largely eschew electoralism entirely! They make up a small but very visible part of antifascist movements in this country.

Some of the property damage this year was instigated by people like the Boogaloos, a lot of it was pretty run-of-the-mill organic expression of outrage that's happened in this country before and will happen again. The many police riots that accompanied protests didn't help.

2 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

AOC responded yesterday to the leaked allegations of Spanberger etc. against the more progressive Democrats

Commenting on the door knocking thing, as someone who canvassed for Newman, that's like 90% what got her over Lipinski. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Did they kill anyone?  I think you're teetering on freedom for security and that can be dangerous too.  

Here's Ted Wheeler's tweet tonight, not naming it was BLM-antifa mob this time, lol. He only mentions specifics when the Proud Boys come to town. God help us all.    "Last night’s criminal destruction and attack on Commissioner Ryan’s home are reprehensible. Violence, criminal destruction and intimidation are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At a minimum, call Nevada.  It is over.  Pennsylvania should be called, but I can sort of understand not doing it with as many votes as are still out combined with the lead, even though we know the math here.

Especially since PA technically ends it all, I'm sure everyone is going to be very slow on calling it.

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Thanks for your hard work on that one! Glad we dumped Lipinski finally.

It was a cool feeling for sure, but AOC is absolutely right, at least in major cities, that getting on the ground as well as embracing minority youth leaders is a huge deal. 

Edited by mqr