2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  I have lived through a lot of incredible politicians.  Reagan/Clinton/Obama top the lists.  They were able to command their group at an amazing level.  But for all three of them, I could totally see what people saw in them, even in the ones I didn't personally care for.  I couldn't stand Bill Clinton, but could totally see WHY people did respect him.  But for all three of them, it did feel like there was an amount of substance to add to why people could follow them.  People agree with their policies and their leadership qualities.  There wasn't the same cult of personality there was with Trump.  With all three of them, it was about them AND the party.  Reagan was a Republican and wanted to lead the party.  Clinton and Obama were Democrats first.  Trump has never been about party, leadership, or country.  It is about him.  He sold himself.  The rest didn't matter.  He would be perfectly willing to destroy this country if it meant he still came out ahead.  I never felt that about any other President until this one.  It really is like a cult.  I fully believe if DJT got on television tonight and told people to start killing Democrats, the USA would look like 1994 Rwanda before dawn.

How about this.

Somehow Charles Manson is allowed to run for President. Of course this is absurd sorry and would never happen, but I really do actually believe that if this happened, a lot of Republicans would still vote for him because, "At least he doesn't kill BABIES like Democrats!"

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  I have lived through a lot of incredible politicians.  Reagan/Clinton/Obama top the lists.  They were able to command their group at an amazing level.  But for all three of them, I could totally see what people saw in them, even in the ones I didn't personally care for.  I couldn't stand Bill Clinton, but could totally see WHY people did respect him.  But for all three of them, it did feel like there was an amount of substance to add to why people could follow them.  People agree with their policies and their leadership qualities.  There wasn't the same cult of personality there was with Trump.  With all three of them, it was about them AND the party.  Reagan was a Republican and wanted to lead the party.  Clinton and Obama were Democrats first.  Trump has never been about party, leadership, or country.  It is about him.  He sold himself.  The rest didn't matter.  He would be perfectly willing to destroy this country if it meant he still came out ahead.  I never felt that about any other President until this one.  It really is like a cult.  I fully believe if DJT got on television tonight and told people to start killing Democrats, the USA would look like 1994 Rwanda before dawn.

I saw something the other day wherein 44% of Trump voters would support universalized healthcare IF Trump came out in support of it. I'm clearly open to multiple options on healthcare and would sway my thinking if convincing arguments were made that it was best for the country (or how I perceive "best for the country" anyhow), but to change your opinion because one politician did so himself is anathema to me. There were things and policies I disliked and liked about both Bush and Obama, but I NEVER could have said, "Oh, Obama supports that? Well then I fucking hate it." Totally ridiculous.

I think your final sentence is hyperbolic and a bit Greg like, though. People are better than that, even Trump supporters.

2 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

As a republican which you kind of claim to be who cares.  I am a republican and I dont care.  I really dont care that agent orange is out of the white house.  The only thing he did was to screw up our party.  I don't live in Oregon.  You don't live in Oregon.  If you did live in Oregon, then move. If their moronic local and state gov wants to deal with the antifa and the proud boys playing "Gangs of New York  LARP battle royale" then great.  Once again.  I don't live there.  Stupid games will win stupid prizes in the end.   Maybe one of them next can bring a wooden horse to the others side and see if that finally breaks the spat between two groups of morons.  

Thanx for that post. I need posts like that to stay sane. I really get upset watching the rioters.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

I saw something the other day wherein 44% of Trump voters would support universalized healthcare IF Trump came out in support of it. I'm clearly open to multiple options on healthcare and would sway my thinking if convincing arguments were made that it was best for the country (or how I perceive "best for the country" anyhow), but to change your opinion because one politician did so himself is anathema to me. There were things and policies I disliked and liked about both Bush and Obama, but I NEVER could have said, "Oh, Obama supports that? Well then I fucking hate it." Totally ridiculous.

I think your final sentence is hyperbolic and a bit Greg like, though. People are better than that, even Trump supporters.

You may not have said it, but Trump does not exist without blind hatred of Obama. 

And the last sentence was certainly hyperbolic, but it's probably true that people would get hurt if Trump went that way. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Like I said I never thought that about another President.  But watching the direct correlation between his threats and language towards others, and the amount of danger those people get put in is sobering.  I mean he basically talked a group of Michigan militia men into a kidnapping plot against the Michigan governor.  What other American politician can you say that about?  Dr Fauci has to have security details and can't go for a jog anymore because of the threats on his life.  Kyle Rittenhouse went up to Wisconsin and shot a couple of people, full intending to do so.  Its nuts.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mqr said:

You may not have said it, but Trump does not exist without blind hatred of Obama. 

And the last sentence was certainly hyperbolic, but it's probably true that people would get hurt if Trump went that way. 

Trump flipped Obama supporters to get in office. If he dove to the middle while in office, and ratcheted up the uniter rhetoric, he would have been unstoppable. But he didn't take the political risk. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Trump flipped Obama supporters to get in office. If he dove to the middle while in office, and ratcheted up the uniter rhetoric, he would have been unstoppable. But he didn't take the political risk. 

He focused more on entertaining his own base than on expanding it.

This is why the center's important. The Proud Boys and Bernie Bros and Antifa guys will ultimately vote for the lesser of two evils, or they'll stay home. They're never going to cross over. It's pointless to try to earn their vote. If you're too far out there as the candidate yourself, the center will shift to the other guy as long as he's not an equally-out-on-his-own-side nut.

I've seen some rejection of this sentiment, but until a bunch of Bernie Bros say, "hey we're tired of mainstream democrats so let's vote for Tucker Carlson because fuck you, Joe Biden", I think it's absolutely the correct reading of things.