2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

I watched the Biden speech. its funny, because for obvious reasons he isn't much of a speaker. He kind of reminds me of W in that, where he isn't going to command a room, but its authentic. He really believes what he has to say.  To hear a positive and not self-praising message was incredible. It was so refreshing to hear it be us and we and our, and things we want to achieve instead of who is being targeted and torn down.  It wasn't about I and me, and who our enemies are.  I am ready for this change.

• Like 8

Please Joe keep your promise. Respect all Americans. There are different paths to the same goal. Compromise. Be kind. Tell the truth. Make us proud. 

Kamala take the stage. Blaze the path but don't scorch the earth. Be our next President.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

That was an awesome speech. Loved including that hymn made up of lines from Psalms at the end.

How refreshing.

To everyone in Texas that had a Jesus 2020 sign next to their Trump sign -- God answered your prayer. God has a thing against hookers and hate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

To everyone in Texas that had a Jesus 2020 sign next to their Trump sign -- God answered your prayer. God has a thing against hookers and hate. 

Yea - I sincerely don’t understand how people of faith can be so blind to the last guy who was elected.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

Silver projects Biden will win by 4.3 points when all the votes are counted. So the national polls were 4 points off. Even more than in 2016.

If the turnout is actually 160 million, Biden is set to win the popular vote 82 million to 75 million. A 7 million vote win in the popular vote is very significant.

Were the polls that far off in 2016?  H Clinton won the popular vote by almost 3% and that was almost as high as the 538.com poll of polls.   How would you account for the huge discrepancy in 2020, where the poll of polls was around 7% vs. the 4.3 you quote.   My first thought is that the missing 2.7% that the Republican candidate got has to be attributed to vote fraud that favored the Republican candidate.  What other explanation could there be?  (You know that I'm semi-joking, but claiming vote fraud without any real proof is in high fashion Right About Now.)

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Please Joe keep your promise. Respect all Americans. There are different paths to the same goal. Compromise. Be kind. Tell the truth. Make us proud. 

Kamala take the stage. Blaze the path but don't scorch the earth. Be our next President.

Indeed. Make it so that these Trumpets can't make the usual whataboutisms.

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

If you watched Biden and still feel Trump is a better choice, I have nothing to say.

Please accept the fact about half the country wanted Trump and guess what, they still want Trump. If people accept that maybe we all can get along. If Americans don't get along, the future is very very bleak. Someday maybe people can accept the fact not everybody in this great country is the same.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Please accept the fact about half the country wanted Trump and guess what, they still want Trump. If people accept that maybe we all can get along. If Americans don't get along, the future is very very bleak. Someday maybe people can accept the fact not everybody in this great country is the same.

They’ll live.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yes, that was the gist of Biden's speech.

All of Trump's speeches were the opposite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

But then the Republicans also need to compromise and not block everything in the senate they are likely going to win.

In the past it often was an asymmetrical war were the Republicans played foul with every semi legal tricks and the Dems losing because they weren't willing to throw as much dirt.

It has to be a level playing field and since now the Dems have the president it is the Republicans who have to make the first step and allow for some compromise.

Biden should offer cooperation but only if the reps offer something, if the reps go back to blocking everything then the Dems need to start using those foul tactics too so they don't get beaten by that.

If the Republicans really want compromise they need to step up and stop some dirty tactics (even if technically legal) they have used in the past. Fairness and compromise isn't a one way street.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

It appears that we are not the ones that need to accept facts

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Were the polls that far off in 2016?  H Clinton won the popular vote by almost 3% and that was almost as high as the 538.com poll of polls.   How would you account for the huge discrepancy in 2020, where the poll of polls was around 7% vs. the 4.3 you quote.   My first thought is that the missing 2.7% that the Republican candidate got has to be attributed to vote fraud that favored the Republican candidate.  What other explanation could there be?  (You know that I'm semi-joking, but claiming vote fraud without any real proof is in high fashion Right About Now.)

State level polls in 2016 were consistent misses, even if national polling was pretty accurate. After 2016, pollsters were supposed to have learned how to correct their samples, 2018 was slightly better but not good, and this year’s polling seems to have missed as badly as 2016 at the state level and had a bigger national miss. 

Right now, basically polling is bad enough that even the campaigns should not be using them.

Actions are a lot more important than words; tone means about 1%, and while Trump was exhausting for us who followed politics and current events, it's obvious many don't care. So while I appreciate a non-hostile rhetoric, I would appreciate if Joe Biden actually did good things for people and wasn't a man of corporate intent as he's been for much of his 50 years in public "service" from which he is now worth 9 million dollars. 

Watching countless Republicans come out and praise Biden for slamming the progressive movement doesn't give me much hope for change because Biden has always been closer to say John Kasich than he is to an actual liberal who wants a Great Green New Deal to save the environment, or fair and equal health-care for all. What I hope is that I am wrong, and that democrats see the writing on the wall; "we are losing the working class Americans", which includes the minorities that we have spoken to in platitudes without executing any true community uplifting policies over the past few decades - the Latino's who we assume will vote democratic as we ignore their pleas for help over and over. 

It was difficult to be excited yesterday as we watched the Mayor of Chicago promote people being out on the streets "celebrating" while Illinois recorded 10% of the national cases - 10% of a day that was the worst since the pandemic began. We have become a nation in which, if you agree with me your actions aren't irresponsible. The standard for both sides is merely not the same, as many forgive and rationalize the decisions their "team" makes while admonishing the other side for their reckless actions. I was happy yesterday too, but we're in the middle of a pandemic and hundreds of thousands of Americans have died. It's been a tough year for all of us; hell, earlier in the year I lost my job that I had worked to get for 5 years. My wife hasn't seen her mother in two years because our trips got cancelled due to the virus, and Colombia walling off their boarder to Americans. I understand the angst and pain of being locked indoors with the impending winter coming, but you can't look at the other side and tell them how they don't care about lives.... how they're reckless and negligent... how they're complicit in the loss of lives because they don't care about their neighbor or grandparents; only to go on and celebrate recklessly in the streets when the virus is ravaging through our communities worse than it ever has. 

It's important in society for our judgements to be held to the same standard, if not even a higher standard for those we agree. It's great that Obama was a fantastic orator, and his message was uplifting to many who needed it but his overall execution was destructive to the lives of the average American and he's not the first Democratic President whose words didn't match their policies and execution. Similarly to religion, I respect the hope it gives but I despise the destruction it has left in its wake. It's great that the hostile orange man is gone, but it's important that we don't lose site of what has caused so much pain for so many over the decades of the past. Economic inequality has ravaged through our communities; environmental destruction has destroyed entire communities and states; water is still undrinkable in flint Michigan and throughout other poverty riddled communities. It's nice to hear someone who says everyone matters, again, but it'll be even more refreshing if for the first time in my lifetime a President actually shows that he gives a fuck. 

Oh, and Lori Lightfoot; after months of shaming and degrading those who were weary of the sincerity of lockdowns... those who lost their jobs and livelihoods due to government forced closures, only to be left out to rot after being given a lousy $1200 stimulus check.... it takes a lot of nerve to be out on the streets promoting mass gatherings while the local hospitals are at capacity...

But hey, it's 2020 and if you agree with me... it's OK to be irresponsible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Actions are a lot more important than words; tone means about 1%, and while Trump was exhausting for us who followed politics and current events, it's obvious many don't care. So while I appreciate a non-hostile rhetoric, I would appreciate if Joe Biden actually did good things for people and wasn't a man of corporate intent as he's been for much of his 50 years in public "service" from which he is now worth 9 million dollars. 

Watching countless Republicans come out and praise Biden for slamming the progressive movement doesn't give me much hope for change because Biden has always been closer to say John Kasich than he is to an actual liberal who wants a Great Green New Deal to save the environment, or fair and equal health-care for all. What I hope is that I am wrong, and that democrats see the writing on the wall; "we are losing the working class Americans", which includes the minorities that we have spoken to in platitudes without executing any true community uplifting policies over the past few decades - the Latino's who we assume will vote democratic as we ignore their pleas for help over and over. 

It was difficult to be excited yesterday as we watched the Mayor of Chicago promote people being out on the streets "celebrating" while Illinois recorded 10% of the national cases - 10% of a day that was the worst since the pandemic began. We have become a nation in which, if you agree with me your actions aren't irresponsible. The standard for both sides is merely not the same, as many forgive and rationalize the decisions their "team" makes while admonishing the other side for their reckless actions. I was happy yesterday too, but we're in the middle of a pandemic and hundreds of thousands of Americans have died. It's been a tough year for all of us; hell, earlier in the year I lost my job that I had worked to get for 5 years. My wife hasn't seen her mother in two years because our trips got cancelled due to the virus, and Colombia walling off their boarder to Americans. I understand the angst and pain of being locked indoors with the impending winter coming, but you can't look at the other side and tell them how they don't care about lives.... how they're reckless and negligent... how they're complicit in the loss of lives because they don't care about their neighbor or grandparents; only to go on and celebrate recklessly in the streets when the virus is ravaging through our communities worse than it ever has. 

It's important in society for our judgements to be held to the same standard, if not even a higher standard for those we agree. It's great that Obama was a fantastic orator, and his message was uplifting to many who needed it but his overall execution was destructive to the lives of the average American and he's not the first Democratic President whose words didn't match their policies and execution. Similarly to religion, I respect the hope it gives but I despise the destruction it has left in its wake. It's great that the hostile orange man is gone, but it's important that we don't lose site of what has caused so much pain for so many over the decades of the past. Economic inequality has ravaged through our communities; environmental destruction has destroyed entire communities and states; water is still undrinkable in flint Michigan and throughout other poverty riddled communities. It's nice to hear someone who says everyone matters, again, but it'll be even more refreshing if for the first time in my lifetime a President actually shows that he gives a fuck. 

Oh, and Lori Lightfoot; after months of shaming and degrading those who were weary of the sincerity of lockdowns... those who lost their jobs and livelihoods due to government forced closures, only to be left out to rot after being given a lousy $1200 stimulus check.... it takes a lot of nerve to be out on the streets promoting mass gatherings while the local hospitals are at capacity...

But hey, it's 2020 and if you agree with me... it's OK to be irresponsible. 

We will see. Biden has been a neolib in the past but bernie pressured him to make quite a few concessions by staying in the race so Long.

He did promise free college, at least some form of medicare and some other stuff and backing off From that would alienate the progressive wing

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I see your point, Greg. I'd see it clearer if Trump wasn't such a pathetic excuse for a human being. Maybe with him gone, divisions can be healed or least progress can be made in that area. He was nothing but a loud-mouthed divider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Twitter should have never made him above the law in the first place

Twitter didn't, the Constitution and courts did. They also prevented him from blocking anyone. After he leaves office he can block anyone and really crank up the echos. 

13 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

We will see. Biden has been a neolib in the past but bernie pressured him to make quite a few concessions by staying in the race so Long.

He did promise free college, at least some form of medicare and some other stuff and backing off From that would alienate the progressive wing

There is no agenda that is going anywhere. Congress will be gridlocked.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pcq said:

There is no agenda that is going anywhere. Congress will be gridlocked.

From the tone I heard from senator Romney today on Meet the Press, progressive promises on the campaign trail aren’t going to happen. Progressive voters and lawmakers need to understand that and if they want to do something about it, then they need to get the two senate seats in Georgia. Legislation can’t move beyond the grim reaper if he’s the majority leader, the senate is where democratic policy goes to die. I do hope bipartisan legislation moves forward but I am not certain that it is a guarantee. I guess it depends on McConnell’s and Biden’s relationship and McConnell’s willingness to bring legislation to the floor.

• Like 1