2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Trump campaign sent out an email blast asking for fraud defense money. The small print said half the funds would be used to pay down campaign debts. According to George Conway, Kellyannes husband, this is wire fraud.

And I would bet that campaign debts are something primarily owed to his own companies, just like they have been in the past.  

It's tough to care about the "70 million voted for him" argument when the Republicans essentially have been running on a platform of "own the libs" and they sure as shit didn't care when the other candidate got more votes than Trump four years ago.

I agree that lowered tensions are a good thing, but lectures on "respect the other side and who/what they voted for" are ones that I really don't care too much to hear.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump campaign sent out an email blast asking for fraud defense money. The small print said half the funds would be used to pay down campaign debts. According to George Conway, Kellyannes husband, this is wire fraud.

It probably is wire fraud, and the Trumpies are being taken again. Just like that pervert in Alabama who tried to raise money to challenge an election he lost. Like Trump, he didn't accept his loss, but didn't get financial support. Time for this shit to end, and it would be nice if Trump resigned and let Pence handle the transition. Then Pence can ride off into the sunset.

No one is going to forget all of the Executive Orders that Trump signed including green lighting the Keystone Excel, building a useless wall with Mexico, etc.  Trump made a lot of unilateral moves - he withdrew from the Paris climate accord, the Iran nuke deal,  put forth a policy to discourage immigrants by separating them from their kids,  rammed a reactionary Judge that speaks in tongues onto the Supreme Court days before the election.

Republican think everyone forgot what has been going on the past 4 years . They thinks that since Trump will only lose by  5 Million votes or so, it is now time for moderation, or what they think are moderate positions. The first thing they mention is "No Medicare for All." They then couple that with the false assertion that al Democrats want to defund Police. Well, police departments will be funded  and hopefully some reforms will be instituted. However, Democrats are going to seek to reform healthcare and expand Medicare. And Biden is going to reverse many of Trump's Executive orders and policies.

Elections have consequences as Trump was fond of saying. Trump pushed  ideological pendulum  pretty far Right with executive orders, judicial nominations and his divisive rhetoric. Now it is going to swing back and in some cases swing back hard.

Personally, I am not deeply invested in most partisan political issues (i.e., abortion rights, gun rights, ) but I admit to disliking Trump for what he said, what he did, and who he was.  I am glad to see him go. His supporters are disappointed now, but many of them will soon understand that he is just a pos who was out for himself.

• Like 1

This thread was handled very well for a while, thanks to all who participated. Figuring out how much vote is left and where it's likely to go is always fun to watch when others have a good idea of it, and quite a few in here were.

I get the sentiment for a larger political forum again. As an active participant in the previous one, I am still not sold. The benefit of election time is getting a lot of quick feedback on a lot of opinions and discussions.

But for most of the year, it is a very slow moving process. When there is no real news, it just ends up commenting on the commentors. And when the forum is just adding hot takes to politician hot takes, it gets nasty and battle lines drawn.

Now I will slowly back away into the bushes before my seething filibuster hot takes return.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, mqr said:

It’s hilarious that people were worried about an armed insurrection and all you have is a bunch of idiots showing up to election centers and arguing amongst themselves whether to start or stop the counting. 

I think the climate will go back to presidential news not being main focus of the news cycle.  Trump turned the presidency into reality tv and thus things liek the buster got out of hand.

Hopefully life cools down beginning of next year.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Apparently brothers Tweedledum and Tweedledee are trying to convince Dad to hold rallies for the next two months protesting the vote.  So that should go well if it happens 

I heard  paid rallies and speeches as the "real" President may be on the way.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think the climate will go back to presidential news not being main focus of the news cycle.  Trump turned the presidency into reality tv and thus things liek the buster got out of hand.

Hopefully life cools down beginning of next year.

honestly it wasn't that different before Trump.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

This thread was handled very well for a while, thanks to all who participated. Figuring out how much vote is left and where it's likely to go is always fun to watch when others have a good idea of it, and quite a few in here were.

I get the sentiment for a larger political forum again. As an active participant in the previous one, I am still not sold. The benefit of election time is getting a lot of quick feedback on a lot of opinions and discussions.

But for most of the year, it is a very slow moving process. When there is no real news, it just ends up commenting on the commentors. And when the forum is just adding hot takes to politician hot takes, it gets nasty and battle lines drawn.

Now I will slowly back away into the bushes before my seething filibuster hot takes return.

Would there be any consideration to having a political thread that is locked until some major pieces of legislation are being debated and voted on so that some discussion could be had? What about for special elections or elections in general? I mostly read the filibuster or threads like the coronavirus thread for information and to understand opposing viewpoints while disregarding the trolling.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Would there be any consideration to having a political thread that is locked until some major pieces of legislation are being debated and voted on so that some discussion could be had? What about for special elections or elections in general? I mostly read the filibuster or threads like the coronavirus thread for information and to understand opposing viewpoints while disregarding the trolling.

No.   I think we all fairly laid out why the Buster was a fucking hassle and while I appreciate that you keep telling us it was great for you, overall it is not great for everyone.  If events like an election take on a life of their own we will adjust accordingly

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'd be willing to consider a single thread by topic. But I'd be considering it from a position of no, but willing to listen 

My biggest issue is the stuff spills over into all the other areas. Arguments about climate change cause the tone in a thread about the AL Central schedule to turn negative. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No.   I think we all fairly laid out why the Buster was a fucking hassle and while I appreciate that you keep telling us it was great for you, overall it is not great for everyone.  If events like an election take on a life of their own we will adjust accordingly

Clearly it wasn’t the greatest for everyone. Others have said that this kind of discussion was helpful so it isn’t just me.

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'd be willing to consider a single thread by topic. But I'd be considering it from a position of no, but willing to listen 

My biggest issue is the stuff spills over into all the other areas. Arguments about climate change cause the tone in a thread about the AL Central schedule to turn negative. 

That makes sense. A single thread by topic makes sense so that it can be evaluated. Thanks for at least considering it with “no but willing to listen” in mind. In my experience, more productive conversations and sources appear to be here rather than on Facebook.

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Beast you can laugh all you want but the Buster sucks.  And it sucks the life out of this forum as a whole

It really was like radiation poisoning.  The more people got exposed to it, the more poisoned they got.  You might not have realized it, but we lost a lot of posters because of that page.  At the end of the day this was supposed to be a baseball page, and we gave users more freedom to bring more personality to the page.  But at some point it became a detriment to the overall value of the page, so we adjusted.  In the most poisoned political atmosphere in a long time, I can't see it being any better.  I don't know if all of us fully agree, but the general opinion of the people who have the fight the fires here is that it isn't worth the mess that it causes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Clearly it wasn’t the greatest for everyone. Others have said that this kind of discussion was helpful so it isn’t just me.

That makes sense. A single thread by topic makes sense so that it can be evaluated. Thanks for at least considering it with “no but willing to listen” in mind. In my experience, more productive conversations and sources appear to be here rather than on Facebook.

I never once said it was all bad.  It was, in as a succinct description as possible, way more bad than it was good conversation when we deep sixed it.   In fact, if I remember right, the closing of the Buster also concluded with multiple posters either getting suspended or getting banned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. Greg’s wayward political thoughts probably colored people’s response to his excellent suggestion that TA be moved to catcher. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I never once said it was all bad.  It was, in as a succinct description as possible, way more bad than it was good conversation when we deep sixed it.   In fact, if I remember right, the closing of the Buster also concluded with multiple posters either getting suspended or getting banned.

To add to this, even to this day, when we suspend someone, it is typically because of a slur or hate speech related to a political situation.  It is very rare that it traces back to something baseball oriented.  I can't begin to tell people how much easier to manage that Soxtalk became after Buster was put out to pasture.  WAY less people are being suspended and banned, and the overall tone is better.

I was against closing the buster because I thought everywhere would become the buster without it. That was false, and now I'm firmly on the no buster side, but to be clear this will be chisoxfn's call regardless. And since he was right the first time, i'll trust him.