2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was against closing the buster because I thought everywhere would become the buster without it. That was false, and now I'm firmly on the no buster side, but to be clear this will be chisoxfn's call regardless. And since he was right the first time, i'll trust him.

How can you possibly say that it's false? Political conversation bleeds into every thread, whether it's covid or protests in baseball/other sports, or even the MLB CBA negotiations. 

In my view, everywhere has become the buster. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

How can you possibly say that it's false? Political conversation bleeds into every thread, whether it's covid or protests in baseball/other sports, or even the MLB CBA negotiations. 

Yes, you do tend to bring it into those threads but it has been manageable which is why I said it was false.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2

Just now, bmags said:

Yes, you do tend to bring it into those threads but it has been manageable which is why I said it was false.

Are you blaming me? 

Yeah, I've been as guilty of it as a bunch of people,  but most of it is responding to ignorant people who spew hateful rhetoric. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I never once said it was all bad.  It was, in as a succinct description as possible, way more bad than it was good conversation when we deep sixed it.   In fact, if I remember right, the closing of the Buster also concluded with multiple posters either getting suspended or getting banned.

I also want to clarify, at first I thought I wanted the Filibuster re-opened but after seeing the responses here, I thought differently about it. I see some value in individual threads like this and was glad to at least see a “no but willing to listen” response. Political conversations anywhere can bring on some good discussion but also trolling and personal attacks.

I was laughing because I was thinking of Billy Madison’s “a simple wrong would have sufficed” response. Forgive me, I’m also a bit sleep deprived now that my son was born (on Election Day!). I appreciate the willingness to keep the thread open from when it started and to have the discussion during this time. I may not add much in the line of baseball since I am not as well versed in the advanced metrics like others are, but I appreciate reading and learning from everyone in the different forums. Lastly, I appreciate Chisoxfn having this site for as long as he has and will respect whatever thoughts he has on the matter.

2 hours ago, knightni said:

I'm still waiting for Mexico to pay for that wall...

I'm waiting for:

Tax cut for the middle class,

$4,000 pay raise,

Repeal of carried interest treatment for hedge funds,

End of N. Korea nuclear program,

Repeal and replace Obamacare,

Save Social Security and Medicare,

$1,000,000,000,000 for new infrastructure,

The swamp to be drained,

The 5 year ban on lobbying,

Lower drug prices,

Ban on foreign lobbyists,

Six weeks paid maternity leave,

Dependent care savings accounts,

A better deal on climate change,

Suing the women who accused of rape him after the election,

Not playing golf once he becomes president,

Reducing college tuition,

Stop jobs from going overseas,

End to DACA,

Protecting American steel Industry,

Making America a safer place to live,

Eliminating the budget deficit,

And, in case you forgot in this list of broken promises, releasing his taxes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I also want to clarify, at first I thought I wanted the Filibuster re-opened but after seeing the responses here, I thought differently about it. I see some value in individual threads like this and was glad to at least see a “no but willing to listen” response. Political conversations anywhere can bring on some good discussion but also trolling and personal attacks.

I was laughing because I was thinking of Billy Madison’s “a simple wrong would have sufficed” response. Forgive me, I’m also a bit sleep deprived now that my son was born (on Election Day!). I appreciate the willingness to keep the thread open from when it started and to have the discussion during this time. I may not add much in the line of baseball since I am not as well versed in the advanced metrics like others are, but I appreciate reading and learning from everyone in the different forums. Lastly, I appreciate Chisoxfn having this site for as long as he has and will respect whatever thoughts he has on the matter.

Congrats! 

• Like 2

Turns out the "fraudulent" voters the Trump campaign came up with in Nevada were military members voting from overseas.

And the "witness" Rudy brought up to the mic in one of his Philly press conferences is a child sex offender.

Don Jr. who said Covid won't be mentioned the day after the election is now saying Pfiser was being so unfair releasing their info now. Funny since it's just a hoax. Life is just so unfair if you are a Trump.

You would think they would just quit embarrassing themselves, but it's not going to stop for a while. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Congrats on the baby Beast, what did you name him and why is it Joseph Robinette Beast?

Haha, we did think of naming him Joe but only so we could call him sleepy Joe when he was a baby. Named him William Robert. Yeah I know, Billy Bob.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Turns out the "fraudulent" voters the Trump campaign came up with in Nevada were military members voting from overseas.

And the "witness" Rudy brought up to the mic in one of his Philly press conferences is a child sex offender.

Don Jr. who said Covid won't be mentioned the day after the election is now saying Pfiser was being so unfair releasing their info now. Funny since it's just a hoax. Life is just so unfair if you are a Trump.

You would think they would just quit embarrassing themselves, but it's not going to stop for a while. 

I believe they are born without the capacity for embarrassment 

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I believe they are born without the capacity for embarrassment 

They do seem not to have that concept even with their complete incompetence is showing. This is taking denial to the extreme. And the rest of the GOP seems to have no shame as well.

Haven't seen this in here yet apologies if I missed the post. The government has funds available to facilitate presidential transitions, as there should be. In 2008, the day after the election, those funds were released to the Obama campaign, allowing them to begin working in government spots.

However, this year, a Trump appointed official in the General Services Administration has so far refused to say that a winner in the election has been determined and has refused to release those transition funds. The last time there was a delay after the election was in 2000 - where the contest remained open until December.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/525083-biden-campaign-pushes-gsa-chief-to-approve-transition

While a short delay of a few days may not make a huge difference, pressure on that official to make the delay short may be important, given the current multiple-crisis situation. One of the notes cited in the 9/11 commission report for why that disaster was able to happen was the difficulty and complexity of conducting the presidential transition and getting new people in place and up to speed, particularly with a divided Congress.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

In my view, everywhere has become the buster. 

Do you know how many times you have taken a small part of a comment aside, written a political dissertation response, recommended they read a certain book or watch a show or listen to a podcast, and finished with "DM me if you want to discuss further"?   

i mean ffs just own it dude.  It doesn't bleed into other threads if you aren't bringing it into other threads.  Don't respond to it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is why the next four years are vital.  There has to be some sort of conviction against Trump to block him from running again.  Him being able to portray this election as "stolen" allows his cult base to have something to believe in. 

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is why the next four years are vital.  There has to be some sort of conviction against Trump to block him from running again.  Him being able to portray this election as "stolen" allows his cult base to have something to believe in. 

If he's alive and out of prison, he will win that nomination again if he runs.