2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

You guys act like I make this stuff up. I watched a sheriff in Jersey and a sheriff in New York both easy google searches discuss NOT OBEYING the governor's orders to bust up parties of 10 or more. You guys act like I make this stuff up. yes the governors want these people prosecuted; no the sheriffs will not waste their time with this bleep. But it does exist.

Didn’t the people you listen to tell you as soon as the election was over, you would never hear of Covid again?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

If its just 1 of them, nothing as it would be a 3-1 vote. If the 2 GOP dont certify then it goes to deadlock. Im not 100% sure the next steps but likely involves the Secretary of State certifying. The real problem for Trump is even if you get rid of Michigan, it doesnt give Trump more EC votes. 

But really what it proves is that Republicans just dont care at all about elections. Weve spent 3 weeks on a landslide election instead of  helping people get through a terrible pandemic. 

Also these states have Dem govs who I think have final say if the legislature goes rogue.

President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. is expected to nominate Janet L. Yellen, the first woman to lead to the Federal Reserve, to be the next Treasury secretary, according to people familiar with the decision.

If confirmed, Ms. Yellen would be the first woman to lead the Treasury in its 231-year history. She would also be at the forefront of navigating an economic crisis.

Ms. Yellen, 74, is likely to bring a long-held preference for government help for households that are struggling economically and for slightly tighter financial regulation with her to the Treasury.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/business/economy/janet-yellen-treasury-secretary.html

Detroit Free Press Opinion

This is unduly chaotic, but we shouldn’t bet against democracy. A canvassing board may not legally refuse to certify an election where no legitimate evidence undermines valid ballots. Michigan courts have repeatedly rejected wild claims of election fraud or improprieties as “incorrect and not credible.” The votes, at this point, speak for themselves. Should a member of the state canvassing board seek to misuse their authority, that obstruction won’t actually deliver a different result. First, understand what state canvassers do: certification just involves adding county tallies and declaring a winner. Michigan law provides a separate space to review the election process — a post-election audit, which does not delay or stop certification. The canvassers have one job. State courts can step in to make sure it gets done. Canvassers failing to do their duty may delay the inevitable for a moment — but not much more than that.

And then there’s federal law, backed by criminal penalties. Any refusal to certify an election based on meritless innuendo would likely violate the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Section 11(a) makes it illegal to “willfully fail or refuse to tabulate, count, and report” lawful votes. 

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

You guys act like I am not RESPONDING to others. You act like I make stuff up and START these topice. Whatever. I know my place here. On a daily basis it's 50-50 whether I survive another day or am put on vacation. That's what happens to people who generally disagree with the majority.

In this thread, I’ve openly supported the Iraq War and denied that Stacey Abrams was cheated in 2018. I agree with pretty much nobody here (go Sox!), but with one character/intellect deficient exception, I’ve been received well enough.

35 minutes ago, pcq said:

Detroit Free Press Opinion

This is unduly chaotic, but we shouldn’t bet against democracy. A canvassing board may not legally refuse to certify an election where no legitimate evidence undermines valid ballots. Michigan courts have repeatedly rejected wild claims of election fraud or improprieties as “incorrect and not credible.” The votes, at this point, speak for themselves. Should a member of the state canvassing board seek to misuse their authority, that obstruction won’t actually deliver a different result. First, understand what state canvassers do: certification just involves adding county tallies and declaring a winner. Michigan law provides a separate space to review the election process — a post-election audit, which does not delay or stop certification. The canvassers have one job. State courts can step in to make sure it gets done. Canvassers failing to do their duty may delay the inevitable for a moment — but not much more than that.

And then there’s federal law, backed by criminal penalties. Any refusal to certify an election based on meritless innuendo would likely violate the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Section 11(a) makes it illegal to “willfully fail or refuse to tabulate, count, and report” lawful votes. 

I would LOVE to see Donald Trump and LIndsay Graham prosecuted under this law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

You guys act like I make this stuff up. I watched a sheriff in Jersey and a sheriff in New York both easy google searches discuss NOT OBEYING the governor's orders to bust up parties of 10 or more. You guys act like I make this stuff up. yes the governors want these people prosecuted; no the sheriffs will not waste their time with this bleep. But it does exist.

So you agree with me that nobody is actually getting arrested for this and your statement was complete hyperbole? Good to see we are finally on the same page.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The momentum is gaining strength, and there is no reason for Trump to hang on. There is absolutely no reason not to concede this election, or at least allow the transition to proceed. What's her name at the GSA needs to stop obstructing the process. Hillary Clinton accepted her loss, and so did Al Gore. Time for Trump to act like an adult if that's possible. This is insane. Trumpism is in the shithole. Trump should do this just so Guiliani can be put out of his misery.

50% of each contribution, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000), to be designated toward DJTFP’s 2020 general election account for general election debt retirement until such debt is retired. 50% of each contribution, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000), to be designated toward DJTFP’s Recount Account. Any amount that exceeds the applicable contribution limit for 2020 general election debt retirement, including any amounts donated to DJTFP after such debt has been retired, will be designated in full toward DJFTP’s Recount Account, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000).

I've read where this number has shifted from 50% (general election debt retirement) to somewhere in the vicinity of 60-75% over the last week.

Of course, the danger here is that he's taking money away from the two GA run-off races.

Reverend Warnock appears to have a much better shot to win than Ossoff against Perdue, fwiw.  That would mean 49-51 with Romney/Mnuchin as possible swing votes.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/georgia-senate-race-reminds-republicans-154714822.html

Warnock's campaign, unlike that of many Democrats in recent years, hasn't shied away from religious appeals to voters and making the election about moral reality. This even applies to the issues that Democrats are most often averse to discuss through a religious frame. "I'm a pro-choice pastor, and I believe that a hospital room is way too small for a woman, her doctor, and the United States government," Warnock tweeted recently. He's also pledged to support the Equality Act, which would amend existing civil rights law -- including the Civil Rights Act of 1964 championed by King -- to explicitly include sexual orientation and gender identity as protected characteristics.

Warnock isn't alone. Many progressives today are rooting their political appeals in their religious convictions at levels that haven't been seen since King and the Civil Rights Movement. "The Squad" in the House of Representatives have all embraced religious appeals. Religion News Service even described them as "the new version of the God Squad." Earlier this year, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gave a passionate defense of LGBTQ rights rooted in her faith during a congressional hearing: "I feel as though if Christ himself walked through these doors and said what he said thousands of years ago, that we should love our neighbor and our enemy, that we should welcome the stranger, fight for the least of us ... he would be maligned as a radical and rejected from these doors."

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes, because of all of the discussion about the imaginary Portland riots still going on, poor greg was obligated to respond to them, and totally not wedge it into the other conversation.

would you care to place a wager there was destruction in portland as most recently as last weekend? The "imaginary" riots could win me some cold hard cash. Also are you saying there were not riots more than 100 consecutive nights?

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump obviously didn't write that, but steadfast dedication and loyally to Trump, not our country is far more accurate. 

If anyone saw the letter Murphy sent to Biden explaining why she waited until now to release the funds (bunch of bulljive) she could have saved the effort and just written "Because Trump told me to."

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

If anyone saw the letter Murphy sent to Biden explaining why she waited until now to release the funds (bunch of bulljive) she could have saved the effort and just written "Because Trump told me to."

It was so unprofessional and petty.