2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It will go away. Eric Trump is on TV now saying any republican Congressman or Senator that doesn't object today, well their political career is over. They will be primaried by a MAGA person. 2 years from now, this is going to fade, 4 years from now. no one will want anything to do with Trump except a few extreme kooks. 6 years from now, when some of these terms are up, never being a Trump supporter will be a feather in their cap.

Sarah Palin faded away...when Trump took over that mantle. If no Trump is on the ballot, in 4 years Cruz will be offering Trump a night with his wife in exchange for an endorsement.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rubio is up and that’s going to be a fun primary to watch. 

Ivanka vs. Little Marco. I bet Marco will feel foolish he started to kiss Trump's ass.

19 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Two of the seats, PA and WI, are held by Republicans in states that Biden just won. All the rest of the seats are held by the same party that won the state in 2020.

I don't know why they are hostage to MAGA. MAGA lost the popular vote for POTUS twice. A record. MAGA got impeached. MAGA was a one term POTUS. MAGA lost both the House and the Senate. MAGA's are going to get their asses kicked anywhere it's not just a totally red state. What happened in GA and AZ is going to happen in NC and TX next if they insist on MAGA candidates.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ivanka vs. Little Marco. I bet Marco will feel foolish he started to kiss Trump's ass.

I don't know why they are hostage to MAGA. MAGA lost the popular vote for POTUS twice. A record. MAGA got impeached. MAGA was a one term POTUS. MAGA lost both the House and the Senate. MAGA's are going to get there asses kicked anywhere it's not just a totally red state. What happened in GA and AZ is going to happen in NC and TX next if they insist on MAGA candidates.

MAGA easily won the Republican Primary in 2016, and won the electoral college in 2016. They are and always have been the core of the Republican Party. If you want to win that primary, get them behind you and it is a blowout.

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The county where Trump held his rally had the lowest turnout in the state. 

Just an example of how Trump demeaning the electoral process has backfired on him. Say everything is rigged and discourage people from participating. And lose votes in the process. Or push opponents to come out because they fear disenfranchisement. It is plain stupid and also damaging to the country. Trump's election was a fluke; his loss wasn't. MAGA hats are deluding themselves.

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sarah Palin faded away...when Trump took over that mantle. If no Trump is on the ballot, in 4 years Cruz will be offering Trump a night with his wife in exchange for an endorsement.

This is why I don't see MAGA fading away - at least not by 2022.

McCain - Palin lost got their asses handed to them, then the Tea Party came roaring in in 2010. Then Romney loses and they have the infamous autopsy that says "hey, let's become more moderate, reach out to minorities." Then there's Trump and MAGA. 2018 happens and Trump doubles down on MAGA and gets 74 million votes.

The sensible Republicans will try to hold on, but still vote along party lines most of the time - i.e. Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Sasse - but I can't see Cruz, Hawley, Cotton, Blackburn, Johnson, Braun, Paul, etc. and the new House darlings like Boebert, Greene, and Cawthorn vanishing into the night.

The obvious thing for Abrams to do is take on Kemp again, except there’s a good chance he doesn’t even get the nomination.

Then again, for some reason, he has 60% approval in terms of Covid response so who knows.

Would like to see her get years of experience in Washington but she’s done so well in organizing GA the last two years that another run seems almost inevitable.

She’s certainly not likely to run against Warnock for the former Isakson seat.  

(Thought this was interesting....”When compared to his Republican peers in the Senate, Isakson was neither more liberal than average nor more conservative than average.  Won with 54.6% in 2016.)

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is why I don't see MAGA fading away - at least not by 2022.

McCain - Palin lost got their asses handed to them, then the Tea Party came roaring in in 2010. Then Romney loses and they have the infamous autopsy that says "hey, let's become more moderate, reach out to minorities." Then there's Trump and MAGA. 2018 happens and Trump doubles down on MAGA and gets 74 million votes.

The sensible Republicans will try to hold on, but still vote along party lines most of the time - i.e. Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Sasse - but I can't see Cruz, Hawley, Cotton, Blackburn, Johnson, Braun, Paul, etc. and the new House darlings like Boebert, Greene, and Cawthorn vanishing into the night.

Cotton has already been cast out of the group, seemingly...but then there’s always Pompeo, Rubio, Cruz and Pence vying for those same voters in 2024, assuming Trump is done.  

IMO, Ivanka would be better off running for an office in Florida to start out with, but how much of the MAGA crowd would automatically except her?  Don, Jr., Eric and Lara, no way.  Stephanie Guilfoyle will go down as one of the Top Ten reasons for Trump losing this year, so she gets crossed off as well.  (Plus, Trump will do something idiotic like try to “pre-pardon” all of his family members over the next two weeks.)

Nikki Haley or Paul Ryan seem so obvious they’ll probably figure out some new way to screw things up.  And of course, you have Hogan/Baker/DeWine as anti-Trumpers.

Edited by caulfield12

A lot of people will trying to capture the Trump magic in the coming years, but I really can't see anyone else having the hold over his cult that the President has had.  In fact I think those people will come off as inauthentic and capture neither the normal voters, nor the MAGA cult.

The important thing now is that all of these pending lawsuits we have been hearing about for years against the President start to pan out and make it impossible for his to run again.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Not so bold prediction. The Republicans will regain the Senate at the midterms. 

I think they have a better shot of taking back the house than than the senate. A lot more Republican senate seats are up for re-election in 2022. 

Edited by chw42

Looking at the voting trends, Trump and the GOP really fucked themselves. Democrats outperformed everywhere they needed to. Ossoff lost by 88k votes in November. He's probably going to win by 50k when all the votes are counted. A 130k vote shift in 2 months is almost unheard of in US politics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's not true.  They got very concerned as soon as money for poor people got talked about.

Some people have said they were glad that they got an extra 100 dollars a month from the trump tax cut but they are really not for handing out 2000 to people because they really don't need it

• Haha 4
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Some people have said they were glad that they got an extra 100 dollars a month from the trump tax cut but they are really not for handing out 2000 to people because they really don't need it

Some people will sell their soul for a $200 tax break, but get on their moral high horse when poor people are about to get $2000 for free.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

A lot of people will trying to capture the Trump magic in the coming years, but I really can't see anyone else having the hold over his cult that the President has had.  In fact I think those people will come off as inauthentic and capture neither the normal voters, nor the MAGA cult.

The important thing now is that all of these pending lawsuits we have been hearing about for years against the President start to pan out and make it impossible for his to run again.

Deep down, I expect Ivanka to get charges but no jail time for Tax Fraud in New York, because that's pretty blatant. I expect her to run for Senate in Florida in 2022. I expect either Trump himself or Trump Jr. to be on the primary ballot for the Republicans in 2024, depending on health and on the Southern District of New York.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

This is most likely true and shows the idiocy of the Electoral College challenge. The Georgia races were winnable and the EC challenge is not. 

If I was a Republican, I'd be sick of the whole Trump thing by now. Eric Trump was on Fox threatening Republican congressman with primary challenges if they didn't back the Electoral College nonsense. Eric Trump has never held any office nor was he politically active until his dad ran. He has done nothing for the GOP and never will. I wouldn't want to put up with threats made by this self-entitled, spoiled brat. Instead anyone in the GOP should make it clear to the Trump kids that they are not wanted and any attempt made by them to run for any office will be met with stiff opposition. That is, if the Republicans want their party back.

4 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

This is most likely true and shows the idiocy of the Electoral College challenge. The Georgia races were winnable and the EC challenge is not. 

If I was a Republican, I'd be sick of the whole Trump thing by now. Eric Trump was on Fox threatening Republican congressman with primary challenges if they didn't back the Electoral College nonsense. Eric Trump has never held any office nor was he politically active until his dad ran. He has done nothing for the GOP and never will. I wouldn't want to put up with threats made by this self-entitled, spoiled brat. Instead anyone in the GOP should make it clear to the Trump kids that they are not wanted and any attempt made by them to run for any office will be met with stiff opposition. That is, if the Republicans want their party back.

At the end of the day, all of the GOP knew how dangerous Trump was, and pretty much all of them were too weak to resist his siren call.  Sure enough, he was exactly who he always was and turned around and bit them on the ass because he only cared about himself.