2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At the end of the day, all of the GOP knew how dangerous Trump was, and pretty much all of them were too weak to resist his siren call.  Sure enough, he was exactly who he always was and turned around and bit them on the ass because he only cared about himself.

He didn't bite them in the ass. They got a ton they wanted. A huge upper class and business tax cut and middle class tax increase to offset it. 4 years of war against minorities, successfully keeping hundreds of thousands of non-whites out of the country. The Supreme Court - and a chance to completely destroy the regulatory state this year through it.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He didn't bite them in the ass. They got a ton they wanted. A huge upper class and business tax cut and middle class tax increase to offset it. 4 years of war against minorities, successfully keeping hundreds of thousands of non-whites out of the country. The Supreme Court - and a chance to completely destroy the regulatory state this year through it.

And now they lost the Presidency, the House, and the Senate and have relegated themselves to minority party status.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

And now they lost the Presidency, the House, and the Senate and have relegated themselves to minority party status.

I traded the House and Senate in 2010 for ending an economic collapse and signing the Affordable Care Act. I would make that trade again 10 times out of 10 (note - after losing my job this year I temporarily had to move to an Affordable Care Act plan, and would have been uninsurable had the ACA been overturned).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I traded the House and Senate in 2010 for ending an economic collapse and signing the Affordable Care Act. I would make that trade again 10 times out of 10 (note - after losing my job this year I temporarily had to move to an Affordable Care Act plan, and would have been uninsurable had the ACA been overturned).

I got laid off too.  I'm working a contract job using the ACA for my healthcare so I'm extremely grateful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They'll control politics for a generation through the courts. Did you see how many 30-something FedSoc loons they jammed through over the past four years?

edit: VVV speaking of ways they're going to use the courts to retain minoritarian power, SCOTUS green-lighting the most blatant gerrymandering possible is a big one!

Edited by StrangeSox

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh and to pile on - it's a redistricting/gerrymandering year, which means the Republicans will be the odds on favorites to retake the House as soon as 2022. 

Yeah I think they make this trade. The judiciary is going to be such that I'm not sure large scale programs that regulate an industry a la Healthcare are going to be able to rely on the commerce clause again.

The corporate rate is going to be firmly near where it is now. Regardless of whether biden is capable of rising it to 28%, they got it down to 20 without any tradeoffs.

So they set traps that will make liberal wins excruciating to achieve, and in reality they probably enjoy being in the minority anyway where they can just complain about stuff without being responsible to fix it.

Why would Garland want AG over appellate judge?

If I was Biden id rather see if I could cut a deal with Manchin for 2 SC seats. 1 goes to Garland who had his vote wrongfully denied, 1 to offset ACB when we should have "let the people decide."

That would put Roberts back in the middle and I think could be sold to moderate Democrats and the general population.

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Why would Garland want AG over appellate judge?

If I was Biden id rather see if I could cut a deal with Manchin for 2 SC seats. 1 goes to Garland who had his vote wrongfully denied, 1 to offset ACB when we should have "let the people decide."

That would put Roberts back in the middle and I think could be sold to moderate Democrats and the general population.

Republicans would almost certainly filibuster an increase in the size of the Supreme Court.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Republicans would almost certainly filibuster an increase in the size of the Supreme Court.

The deal with Manchin would be to nix the filibuster, which Manchin has come out against.

With the filibuster intact, there's gonna be no statehood for PR and DC.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh and to pile on - it's a redistricting/gerrymandering year, which means the Republicans will be the odds on favorites to retake the House as soon as 2022. 

The gerrymandering will help, but if I was a Republican I wouldn't too cocky about 2022. Yes, the party in power usually takes a beating in the midterm, but if Biden even has moderate success in managing the Pandemic and reviving the economy, 2022 can be a different story. Plus the country might enjoy not having the constant uproar of a Trump presidency. But then again, the Dems are like the old Cubs and Sox teams: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

The deal with Manchin would be to nix the filibuster, which Manchin has come out against.

With the filibuster intact, there's gonna be no statehood for PR and DC.

Which is why you have to make Manchin a deal he cant refuse to get all of those things done in 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The gerrymandering will help, but if I was a Republican I wouldn't too cocky about 2022. Yes, the party in power usually takes a beating in the midterm, but if Biden even has moderate success in managing the Pandemic and reviving the economy, 2022 can be a different story. Plus the country might enjoy not having the constant uproar of a Trump presidency. But then again, the Dems are like the old Cubs and Sox teams: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

And local things will matter too, but I'd still call them the odds on favorites.