2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It was Pence that called in the National Guard while Trump watched TV.

1. How exactly does the VP have that authority?

2. That also sorta tells you why the national guard wasn’t there in the first place, and probably hints at why the police got out of the way.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1. How exactly does the VP have that authority?

2. That also sorta tells you why the national guard wasn’t there in the first place, and probably hints at why the police got out of the way.

I think its under the we all recognize the President is insane and this time it went to far authority.

There should probably be some Benghazi level investigations over this.

The biggest take away is that as always Trump finds a way to lose. He just torched his family name. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ron883 said:

BLM, Antifa and protestors literally took over an area in Capitol Hill, Seattle. This included an entire police station. They occupied the area for almost a month. 

People would mutter the exact same argument you made there if it was the MAGA crew that occupied CHOP/CHAZ. 

You aren't really trying to equate these two events are you? 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think its under the we all recognize the President is insane and this time it went to far authority.

There should probably be some Benghazi level investigations over this.

The biggest take away is that as always Trump finds a way to lose. He just torched his family name. 

If that’s the case there’s a legal process that needs followed outlined by amendment 25!

You don’t restore the rule of law by giving illegal orders and hoping to run out the clock. If the Cabinet won’t join in, you go appeal to Congress or the public.

If the GOP wants to save their party, they should take a hard stance against any support of Trump. It really shouldn't be that difficult, seeing as our nation flat out rejected the entire family just a a few months ago. Totally cut ties, make it a somewhat bi-partisan effort. They've got one shot at it, and this it is. 

But it will never happen. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

If the GOP wants to save their party, they should take a hard stance against any support of Trump. It really shouldn't be that difficult, seeing as our nation flat out rejected the entire family just a a few months ago. Totally cut ties, make it a somewhat bi-partisan effort. They've got one shot at it, and this it is. 

But it will never happen. 

"Cutting him off would like asking one of us to disconnect an arm or a foot we can't do it" - Dr. Beverly Crusher, Best of Both Worlds II. 

5 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The secretary of defense controls the DC national guard per executive order

Acting Secretary of Defense: D.C. National Guard activated after speaking with VP Pence, Pelosi

Jan 6, 2021 Updated 1 hr ago

Acting Secretary of Defense, Christopher Miller, shared a statement on the U.S. Department of Defense’s website stating after he spoke with Vice President Pence,  Speaker Pelosi, Leader McConnell, Senator Schumer and Representative Hoyer about the situation at the U.S. Capitol, they decided to fully activate the D.C. National Guard.

The full statement from the U.S. Department of Defence website:

"Chairman Milley (JCS) and I just spoke separately with the Vice President and with Speaker Pelosi, Leader McConnell, Senator Schumer and Representative Hoyer about the situation at the U.S. Capitol. We have fully activated the D.C. National Guard to assist federal and local law enforcement as they work to peacefully address the situation. We are prepared to provide additional support as necessary and appropriate as requested by local authorities. Our people are sworn to defend the constitution and our democratic form of government and they will act accordingly."

https://www.khq.com/elections/acting-secretary-of-defense-d-c-national-guard-activated-after-speaking-with-vp-pence-pelosi/article_d0453d0f-9a51-5eca-99a9-f787d33092f6.html

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’m shocked that this didn’t happen in November 2nd - it’s actually what I expected back then.

For most of THAT night, Trump and his family believed he'd actually won...until Arizona was called by FOX.

UPDATE:  the woman shot earlier in the day (circumstances still unclear) is dead and they're back in the Capitol resuming the electoral vote count

One MIGHT think Hawley and Cruz would have the sense to shut up at this point.

"History will rightly remember today’s violence at the Capitol, incited by a sitting president who has continued to baselessly lie about the outcome of a lawful election, as a moment of great dishonor and shame for our nation. But we’d be kidding ourselves if we treated it as a total surprise," Obama said.

Obama added: "I’ve been heartened to see many members of the President’s party speak up forcefully today. Their voices add to the examples of Republican state and local election officials in states like Georgia who’ve refused to be intimidated and have discharged their duties honorably. We need more leaders like these — right now and in the days, weeks, and months ahead as President-Elect Biden works to restore a common purpose to our politics. It’s up to all of us as Americans, regardless of party, to support him in that goal."

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’m shocked that this didn’t happen in November 2nd - it’s actually what I expected back then.

Oh totally. The younger guys I work with were expecting it and looking forward to it. This is part of the problem, too. Social media has created a generation that cares more about sensationalism and memes than basic human decency. 

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Goodbye, political careers, at least on a national basis!

Hawley

Cruz

Lankford

Daines

Kennedy

Hagerty (TN)

Tuberville

Loeffler (adios)

Blackburn (already attempting a political U-turn)

Braun (IN)

Lummis (WY)

Marshall (KS)

Expel everyone of their seditious asses from Congress. Refuse to seat them.