2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know it's your thing, but you don't have to list anyone after Romney and maybe Flake.

Hogan from MD deserves to be recognized. He may just be a Governor but he was outspoken when no one else was.

Also the GA secretary of state etc. It is much harder for someone like that to stand up for what is right. Every American owes them a debt for their bravery.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Hogan from MD deserves to be recognized. He may just be a Governor but he was outspoken when no one else was.

Also the GA secretary of state etc. It is much harder for someone like that to stand up for what is right. Every American owes them a debt for their bravery.

I was referring to the specific names Caulfield was listing.

Yeah, Hogan and Baker will be looked back on well. Raffensberger will as well.

But Thune? Blunt? Scott? The fuck they all do other than enable?

National security adviser Robert O'Brien, deputy national security adviser Matt Pottinger and deputy chief of staff Chris Liddell were all considering resigning as soon as Wednesday night, according to multiple people familiar with the matter. Pottinger's resignation appeared to be imminent while the others may sleep on the decision.

By evening, as sirens wailed on Capitol Hill and Washington entered a 6 p.m. ET curfew, even some of his top allies were critical -- though, after four years of equivocation and appeasement of his violent base, unsurprised -- by the President's response.

One top Republican ally called the President's video a "piece of sh*t."

In it, Trump sought to empathize with the rioters based on the lies he's spread about a fraudulent election.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/donald-trump-capitol-mob/index.html

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Murkowski is fine

• Like 1

Lincoln has been quoted multiple times.  That seems to be the theme.  

It's chilling that both Republicans and Democrats are pulling examples from the Civil War. 

Think about that. Civil War era. 

15 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Canadian. I’ve lived in Chicago for a few years, Arizona briefly, but back in Toronto. Was educated in Canada. We learn American history (and Greek and Italian and British and Egyptian, etc) but not the politics so much. When I was in school American politics was grade 8 so it wasn’t much, The rest was high school.  

I also usually vote for NDP, the primary third party here. Not always, but usually. I couldn’t vote while living in the u.s. so I didn’t get too involved. I noticed two things. It’s a lot more of a contest than an actual vote, and people don’t really sway much. I think this has a lot to do with the whole two sides thing. 

You are right on the contest. One look at the presidential debates will show you their primary objective is attacking the opponent...trying to persuade their views is secondary.

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

With Blunt (and Danforth by extension), it has only been the last 2-3 weeks, and in the face of Hawley's assault on democracy.

As for Scott, he's been consistently outspoken/forthright on racial issues throughout Trump's tenure, although he hardly is deserving of deification.

One name not mentioned in Liz Cheney.   And that Rep. Kinzinger, whose name has been in the news nearly every day this last month.

Justin Amash from MI.  Charlie Dent from PA.

If there's any quibble about Romney, and this is almost impossible to prove/quantify, it's that he has so much support in the state of Utah that it would be pretty hard for him to lose...and even then, it wouldn't come at much personal cost at this point in his life, as he's already set for life financially.  He is needed by the Senate more than he needs it, in other words.   But he's also not jeopardizing his family's future by taking the stance he took against Trump.   With all that said, he was the ONLY one, the lone voice is the wilderness or desert, willing to take on Trump that wasn't already out of office or leaving elected office.   He has his moral code, which is derived from his religious beliefs, and he is at least consistent...even though I will never applaud a venture capitalist all that much.

Edited by caulfield12

Watching CSPAN, this Mo Brooks guy is fucking insane. It's like if Alex Jones got elected to congress. He gave some bunk statistics and calculated that Joe Biden got 1.2 million votes from "illegal aliens", as he put it. It's sad somebody like this can get elected to office. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Lincoln has been quoted multiple times.  That seems to be the theme.  

It's chilling that both Republicans and Democrats are pulling examples from the Civil War. 

Think about that. Civil War era. 

This is another thing about the U.S.  you can respect your history without being stuck in it. Take the lessons from the past and adjust them to the present. That’s supposed to be how it works.

Seems too many are stuck in the past and refuse to accept the future. And then when they go obsolete it’s everyone else’s fault. Shit is nuts to me. 

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know, I just meant that we should all take a moment to remind people who stood up for America.

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Watching CSPAN, this Mo Brooks guy is fucking insane. It's like if Alex Jones got elected to congress. He gave some bunk statistics and calculated that Joe Biden got 1.2 million votes from "illegal aliens", as he put it. It's sad somebody like this can get elected to office. 

Trump's immigration policy has been so effective he's cut the "illegals vote" by roughly 75%, from nearly 5 million in 2016 to just 1.2 million in 2020.  Amazing.

Yeah, that guy deserves to be put out to pasture with Judge Roy Moore.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Graham calling the Georgia SoS also lead to the demise of Trump. 

Can we really give positive credit to Lindsey Graham for making GA SoS Raffenberger so "on guard" (after 13 attempted calls from the WH) that he felt he had no alternative but to record that call?

Graham was one of the first, and most outspoken GOP'ers to completely jump onboard with the Trumps when it benefited him politically, but was quick to complain this year when Jamie Harrison was killing him in fundraising and it even looked like losing a SC statewide race to a Democrat was a very distinct possibility.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Can we really give positive credit to Lindsey Graham for making GA SoS Raffenberger so "on guard" (after 13 attempted calls from the WH) that he felt he had no alternative but to record that call?

Graham was one of the first, and most outspoken GOP'ers to completely jump onboard with the Trumps when it benefited him politically, but was quick to complain this year when Jamie Harrison was killing him in fundraising and it even looked like losing a SC statewide race to a Democrat was a very distinct possibility.

Not directly. But Graham being a snake actually ended up working out. 

Marco Rubio has to be breathing a sigh of relief he came as close as possible to the getting consumed by the fire but still retains his political viability for 2024 going forward.

Cruz and Hawley are DONE.

On second thought, with Rubio, he has been so craven politically during the last 6 years that there might be no redemption for him, either.   You just get no clear idea what he actually stands for, as he's the GOP counterexample to John Edwards in many ways (minus the marital issues.)

The GOP governors and Nikki Haley/Paul Ryan have done the best job staying as far away from the fray as possible.