2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

23 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

A lot more talk last night and this morning on news outlets about the police (or some of them anyway) being involved in the incident yesterday.  There's plenty of video evidence of the police either letting the mob in or not trying to stop them.  It's frustrating because everyone knew this was coming.  The police were either not prepared or the planning was lax on purpose.  Now four people are dead and there is a huge black mark in history.

On a side note, Morning Joe went on a tirade this morning on MSNBC and dropped the F-bomb, saying that the police just opened the fucking doors for the mob.  I'm sure there's a suspension coming, but he's right to be infuriated.

There was something goofy going on with the police. Opening the gate when you are overwhelmed and they probably will get in anyway, you may be able to explain, but selfies? That guy needs to be fired today, and treated like he stormed the Capital. And the reinforcements took hours. If it was a BLM event, things would have looked a whole lot different. 

Trump is a television star, a social media maestro. This isn't reality for some people, it's a show with zero appreciation for the gravity of the situation. I rejected the cult label being applied until yesterday. It's the most accurate way to describe those individuals that committed acts of terror at the capital.

• Fire 1

The entire Trump presidency has been bad, and history will not look kindly on it.  But yesterday was on another level.  This will be a day that people will read about 10-15 years down the road and have a hard time believing it happened.

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There was something goofy going on with the police. Opening the gate when you are overwhelmed and they probably will get in anyway, you may be able to explain, but selfies? That guy needs to be fired today, and treated like he stormed the Capital. And the reinforcements took hours. If it was a BLM event, things would have looked a whole lot different. 

What's ironic about the way we've described the police riots over the summer is that the bad ones have often been described as "a few bad apples", when the etymology of that phrase is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch - if a couple of them are bad, then that's a problem for all of them.

There are a number of other videos. Police calmly walking the insurrectionists out of the Capitol building. One of them on video helping a woman down the stairs of the Capitol. While that guy was taking selfies, another of his colleagues, who appears to have a different skin color in the video clip, was being chased up a different stairwell nearby by the mob. Take selfies or render assistance to your colleagues? 

If a few officers opened gates, and a few others didn't do their jobs inside even when they were on video, this is a problem for everyone, including the ones who were being overwhelmed. I don't know what it will look like because of Pandemic, but in 13 days this same facility will host a presidential inauguration with many of the same officers. An after action report for that event saying "we had 1000 officers on site and 99.8% of them did not let in bomb-wielding Presidential assassins" would represent a spoiled bunch, and that means somehow more action needs to be taken to weed out the bad apples, rapidly. 

This may well go for other branches of security. It even mostly slipped by me because it was on a holiday, but the leadership of the Secret Service is apparently reassigning some people away from Biden, and someone tried to nudge nudge wink wink the Washington Post that they seemed to have unusual levels of worry about that group.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-to-make-changes-to-presidential-detail-to-bring-on-agents-who-worked-with-biden/2020/12/30/d6fb8fe8-49ce-11eb-a9d9-1e3ec4a928b9_story.html

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What's ironic about the way we've described the police riots over the summer is that the bad ones have often been described as "a few bad apples", when the etymology of that phrase is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch - if a couple of them are bad, then that's a problem for all of them.

There are a number of other videos. Police calmly walking the insurrectionists out of the Capitol building. One of them on video helping a woman down the stairs of the Capitol. While that guy was taking selfies, another of his colleagues, who appears to have a different skin color in the video clip, was being chased up a different stairwell nearby by the mob. Take selfies or render assistance to your colleagues? 

If a few officers opened gates, and a few others didn't do their jobs inside even when they were on video, this is a problem for everyone, including the ones who were being overwhelmed. I don't know what it will look like because of Pandemic, but in 13 days this same facility will host a presidential inauguration with many of the same officers. An after action report for that event saying "we had 1000 officers on site and 99.8% of them did not let in bomb-wielding Presidential assassins" would represent a spoiled bunch, and that means somehow more action needs to be taken to weed out the bad apples, rapidly. 

This may well go for other branches of security. It even mostly slipped by me because it was on a holiday, but the leadership of the Secret Service is apparently reassigning some people away from Biden, and someone tried to nudge nudge wink wink the Washington Post that they seemed to have unusual levels of worry about that group.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-to-make-changes-to-presidential-detail-to-bring-on-agents-who-worked-with-biden/2020/12/30/d6fb8fe8-49ce-11eb-a9d9-1e3ec4a928b9_story.html

Our country is mentally ill. There is no other explanation. 

I am not embedding this video because someone dies in it, but here is the link. 

https://twitter.com/partisangirl/status/1347090927811104768?s=21

While the woman is shot yesterday, she is banging on a window. There are 5 officers in riot gear behind her who weren’t stopping the crowd at all from trying to breach the door they were at. They immediately began rendering aid.

Their colleague inside was disturbed enough about the situation to pull his gun and open fire (I won’t even judge if that shot was deliberately taken), and there are 5 fully geared officers there not helping control the crowd at all.

Also, when DC statehood comes up, this is the best argument for it (other than taxation without representation).

A president can hold the district hostage while his supporters ransack the place if he disagrees with local politics / what's going on in the federal buildings. What if (taking it a step further) he decided to hire fucking Blackwater (or Academi — whatever their latest rebrand to avoid heat for warcrimes is).

I have friends and some family members that have always been conservatives and were Trump supporters, some even posting on social media agreeing with Trump about the election being rigged and stolen.  However, I've not heard a peep from them since yesterday.  I honestly don't know if I could continue to associate with anyone who still supports Trump after yesterday.

There are plenty of good people who are conservative, and there are some of them in Congress.  But the Republican party has become the party of Trump, and I don't know how their reputation can be repaired.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I am not embedding this video because someone dies in it, but here is the link. 

https://twitter.com/partisangirl/status/1347090927811104768?s=21

While the woman is shot yesterday, she is banging on a window. There are 5 officers in riot gear behind her who weren’t stopping the crowd at all from trying to breach the door they were at. They immediately began rendering aid.

Their colleague inside was disturbed enough about the situation to pull his gun and open fire (I won’t even judge if that shot was deliberately taken), and there are 5 fully geared officers there not helping control the crowd at all.

Not sure whether it's accurate, but that tweet claims that the shooter was part of Pence's detail. If that guy is indeed Secret Service, and Pence is nearby, that's how it's going to end every time.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I just wonder how the nut living in their parents' basement, or maybe just one of Putin's gang, who has made up all of the BS that Trump spews and his cult members live their lives by, feels. They either are really satisfied or afraid of the monster they built. 

Charlie Kirk 2018:

Charlie Kirk's last tweet:

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Not sure whether it's accurate, but that tweet claims that the shooter was part of Pence's detail. If that guy is indeed Secret Service, and Pence is nearby, that's how it's going to end every time.

I’d doubt it. Pence and grass key were removed about 30 minutes before any of the rest of congress was. Long before they were close to the chamber.

One of the reasons it’s important to act quickly when everyone agrees something terrible happened is the more time passes after the event, the more stories are created for those who want to be sympathetic to latch onto to promote that it wasn’t that bad and was nobodies fault.

Sean Davis, editor of the federalist, is now pushing that the mob thought they were allowed into the capitol and didn’t understand why police were trying to stop them.

It was all a big misunderstanding!

Dont believe that?

Well it was also Antifa dressed as MAGA

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d doubt it. Pence and grass key were removed about 30 minutes before any of the rest of congress was. Long before they were close to the chamber.

Supposedly, Pence as well as Pelosi were being secured in that area behind where the SS officer fired his gun from...

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

One of the reasons it’s important to act quickly when everyone agrees something terrible happened is the more time passes after the event, the more stories are created for those who want to be sympathetic to latch onto to promote that it wasn’t that bad and was nobodies fault.

Sean Davis, editor of the federalist, is now pushing that the mob thought they were allowed into the capitol and didn’t understand why police were trying to stop them.

Dont believe that?

So true.  We're already forgetting about the 100+ representatives and senators who signed on to the ridiculous Texas lawsuit.  None of them were held accountable.  We're already shrugging our shoulders about the reps and senators who continued to object to the certification last night.  How long before we remember yesterday as not such a big deal?

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dont believe that?

Also, Confederacy.