2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Thanks for proving my point. 

Regardless, I think straight comission, especially where the salesperson has to purchase the products out of pocket is no different from a pyramid scheme. 

Youre wrong. A pyramid scheme revolves around getting new investors with no actual product.

By your definition Target is a pyramid scheme because they have to purchase the product.

If you want to understand the difference look up Ponzi Scheme, and read about Ponzi, who is an actual person.

I have no problem with people who may misunderstand a business concept, but at least admit you have no idea what you are talking about. Acting smart just makes you look foolish.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Thank you. Right now it’s my biggest pet peeve, drives me fucking NUTS. 

It all comes down to the question of whether Twitter serves as a public forum or not. Which of course it does. It is essentially the modern equivalent of the soap box.

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

It all comes down to the question of whether Twitter serves as a public forum or not. Which of course it does. It is essentially the modern equivalent of the soap box.

You cant put your soap box on my private property.

Twitter is a private company, you agree to their rules when you use their platform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

You cant put your soap box on my private property.

Twitter is a private company, you agree to their rules when you use their platform.

A phone company is also a private company. By this logic a phone company should also be allowed to deny service based on their users content.

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

A phone company is also a private company. By this logic a phone company should also be allowed to deny service based on their users content.

Phone company is a public utility and governed by different laws. Twitter is not as Twitter is not essential like water or electricity.

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Do you disagree with Trump getting banned on Twitter?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Internet is somehow not even a public utility.

If twitter is a public forum, then no private enterprise could ever restrict speech. This board could not ban, it could not stop me from creating political threads or doing whatever I want.

That is why twitter can enforce its own rules, so long as those rules do not violate some other law (ie discrimination). I do believe if twitter banned every minority they would lose in court. But jackass, to the best of my knowledge, is still not a protected class.

22 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Youre wrong. A pyramid scheme revolves around getting new investors with no actual product.

By your definition Target is a pyramid scheme because they have to purchase the product.

If you want to understand the difference look up Ponzi Scheme, and read about Ponzi, who is an actual person.

I have no problem with people who may misunderstand a business concept, but at least admit you have no idea what you are talking about. Acting smart just makes you look foolish.

I completely understand the difference. That doesn't change the fact that it's predatory. I think predatory business practices should be illegal. 

I'm not arguing that it's within the bounds of the law as they currently exist. I'm arguing that it shouldn't be. 

I am fully aware of pyramid and ponzi schemes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Thanks for proving my point. 

Regardless, I think straight comission, especially where the salesperson has to purchase the products out of pocket is no different from a pyramid scheme. 

So the owner of the golf shop by my house shouldn't have to buy the products he sells? Titleist should just give him stuff that he doesn't have to pay for?! You're joking right?  Where do you think businesses get the merchandise they sell? 

The problem with MLM is people with no sales skills buy that merchandise and can't sell it.  No one would hire them for sales, but they have a dream and believe it's as easy as it looks,  and lose their investment.

Those restaurants that have probably closed in your neighborhood. Those owners had to buy food to sell. They failed because they couldn't sell enough to stay afloat not because buying stuff to sell is a scam. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I completely understand the difference. That doesn't change the fact that it's predatory. I think predatory business practices should be illegal. 

I'm not arguing that it's within the bounds of the law as they currently exist. I'm arguing that it shouldn't be. 

I am fully aware of pyramid and ponzi schemes. 

So people shouldn't be allowed to buy stuff and sell it?  

Just now, Texsox said:

So the owner of the golf shop by my house shouldn't have to buy the products he sells? Titleist should just give him stuff that he doesn't have to pay for?! You're joking right?  Where do you think businesses get the merchandise they sell? 

The problem with MLM is people with no sales skills buy that merchandise and can't sell it.  No one would hire them for sales, but they have a dream and believe it's as easy as it looks,  and lose their investment.

Those restaurants that have probably closed in your neighborhood. Those owners had to buy food to sell. They failed because they couldn't sell enough to stay afloat not because buying stuff to sell is a scam. 

Predatory. 

Quit equating it to other businesses. 

No, Amway, Mary Kay and other MLM schemes are not the same as Target and your local golf pro shop. You're being intellectually dishonest. 

18 minutes ago, Vulture said:

But as others have said, it has zero ties to any sort of government and serves no infrastructure/utility need.

I'm sick of millions arguing that speech doesn't have consequence. That their rights are SO infringed because someone told them their hate-filed rhetoric isn't accepted all places. 

In the middle of their shift at Burger King, if they started telling customers in their drive-thru to "Go fuck themselves" they would be fired. And not a single person would say Burger King was unjust to fire that person. Yes, that idiot will not be arrested for their speech, but they will have to face other consequences for their actions. I don't understand why this is so difficult to comprehend for so many. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

How is it predatory? No one forces people to buy the products and try and sell them.

And you clearly dont understand the difference because now you completely backtracked and are saying its "predatory."

A pyramid scheme will always fail because you eventually run out of suckers. A Mary Kay salesman can make more money than me if they have good repeat customers.

Your argument is the equivalent of saying an orange isnt food and then arguing you meant its not an apple.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I fundamentally and completely disagree. No one has to provide a platform for specific content, and if you disagree with their practices - don't use their network and don't read content posted on there. 

free_speech_2x.png 

https://xkcd.com/1357/

Way to take it completely out of context. We're talking about Amway here.