2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

This has George Soros written all over it. 

FWIW, there are actually groups including Turning Point USA apparently bused people in, got them hotel rooms, and said they were doing so that morning in now-deleted tweets.

Ginni Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, sits on their advisory board. Former Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner has donated them money. They have a whole lot of fossil fuel and mining funding reported.

3 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The Senate will avoid taking it up until after inauguration, which will give cover to Republicans who can vote to acquit, thus not angering the Trump base, and then rationalize it by saying he's out of office anyway so it doesn't matter. Romney, Murkowski, and maybe a couple others will vote to convict, but not 17.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Only needs to be 17 Republicans, as McConnell isn't starting the trial until 1 P.M. on Biden's inauguration day according to a memo floated, so Warnock and Ossoff will likely be seated by the time voting actually starts (which, the Senate majority shifting power in the middle of a trial is weird in it's own right).

The only people I can think of are Romney, Murkowski, Toomey, Sasse, Collins, Grassley, and Burr. My guess is that the rest will take Lindsey Graham's "move forward and unite the country" platform or Hawley/Tuberville/Cruz/etc.'s "Trump did nothing wrong these were proud American's" platform.

Saying this again - even if they don't convict, get the Senate on record with a vote saying they're ok with this. You can already write the ad saying "Marco Rubio protected Donald Trump from consequences after a violent mob stormed the Capitol building". Joe Biden can call them out to their faces during a joint session of Congress in a few weeks. Even if a conviction doesn't happen, voting against it should be made to carry a large political price.

Furthermore, God knows what is going to happen over the next weeks and months. According to the Washington Post, right wing groups are celebrating their big victory and using it to grow and fundraise, so we can likely expect more attempts at domestic terrorism to be spurred by this success.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

A lot of those insurrectionists are waking up to a new world where they aren't allowed on planes anymore

As much as it might feel nice to see people getting punished, I would encourage everyone to ensure the links and posts they are sharing are verified in some way. I don't believe there is evidence this woman (or the couple) were involved on January 6th. The same account seems to show that this was a removal about mask wearing.

• Like 1

Whether it was because they were fascists who tried to overthrow the government or assholes refusing to wear masks, you can still laugh. The federal "no fly list" is real bad policy and should be abolished ultimately, though!

Here's the little bit longer video of that officer being chased up the steps who, thanks to some very quick thinking, is able to divert the mob away from the unguarded doors to the Senate chamber.

https://i.imgur.com/PgZkhGo.mp4

Here's a map of the Capitol. The yellow circle is where he pushed back the Qultist and lures the mob down the other hallway to backup. The green line is the path he took.

DNgO8Hw.png

Edited by StrangeSox

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, you're right......at least publicly. I think Charles Koch loves Trump's policies but despises his demeanor. 

But at the same time he said he should have corrupted both parties simultaneously, which is scary as fuck. 

Maybe Sheldon Adelson would have been a better choice. 

George Soros would have nothing to do with what happened Wednesday, if you know anything about him. It's just another right wing conspiracy theory. 

George Soros is a gazillionaire financial supporter of liberal causes.  The Koch's are gazillionaire financial supporters of conservative causes.  I don't have a problem with either, but it's hard to confuse them.  I'm certain neither would have anything to do with a armed insurrection.

Since there was some talk of various polls out there, ABC news had a poll that said 2/3rd's of Americans said that Trump deserved a "good amount" or "great deal" of blame for what happened at the capital.  But I think it shows that while there are certainly extremists on the right - the entire right doesn't absolve Trump (regardless of what some members of the right say or do).  Not the 100% we would all like to see, but 2/3rds is still a pretty strong majority in this day and age.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-remains-defiant-amid-calls-232641346.html

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Dems had a spine, they would refuse to seat the Reps who voted to block the electoral college both in the House and Senate, and then they would proceed with 25th amendment and/or impeachment votes, along with Capitol Hill investigations.

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Since there was some talk of various polls out there, ABC news had a poll that said 2/3rd's of Americans said that Trump deserved a "good amount" or "great deal" of blame for what happened at the capital.  But I think it shows that while there are certainly extremists on the right - the entire right doesn't absolve Trump (regardless of what some members of the right say or do).  

But look at the breakdowns in that poll. 61% of self-identified Republicans in that poll believe that Donald Trump did Nothing Wrong, and 69% say he deserves not much blame or no blame at all for the Rioting that occurred last week in Washington DC. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Since there was some talk of various polls out there, ABC news had a poll that said 2/3rd's of Americans said that Trump deserved a "good amount" or "great deal" of blame for what happened at the capital.  But I think it shows that while there are certainly extremists on the right - the entire right doesn't absolve Trump (regardless of what some members of the right say or do).  

But also taking a deeper dive into the poll, this is all Americans.

• 32% believe Biden's victory is illegitimate.
  • 23% of people say he didn't do anything wrong whatsoever.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But look at the breakdowns in that poll. 61% of self-identified Republicans in that poll believe that Donald Trump did Nothing Wrong, and 69% say he deserves not much blame or no blame at all for the Rioting that occurred last week in Washington DC. 

I didn't look in detail - but I don't get how 2/3rd's can say he deserves much of the blame and 2/3rd's can say he deserves no blame. I guess you are more breaking it down to the republican segment - which I think is fair.  But unfortunately I think that goes back to something I've said on here many times - people on the right have been put into this box and no matter how much they disagree with the views of the extreme right (and I really believe that the vast majority of people who are republican actually don't believe the extreme views, but they answer the way they do in polls because they are so tired of being constantly called horrible, etc by the other party.  

I actually think we are seeing a dangerous precedent where companies are basically putting Parlor out of business. I know nothing of Parlor other than it is more of a conservative outlet. I am sure there are things that happen at parlor that should be shut down - but I am sure there is similar that happens on facebook, twitter, etc.  If someone just took a blanketed take down of the other side - I think you'd see the other side revolting as well. 

I just wish more people acted with their principles more and focused on the constitution and our democracy more when serving office than their individual best interest and/or the parties best interest (and I know everyone is going to come in and tell me just how the democrats always play the rules and this or that, but lets be honest, the vast majority in politics have no spine and flip flop when it suits them and/or their party the best.

We have seen the reality is most on the right (who hold office) have no spine and I'm not surprised because politicians, in general are really under control of so many other arms who got them where they are at. I also believe in different circumstances we would see the same on the left, where they would more defend their party vs. go to pure principal but too many ignore the pure hypocrisy that exists in politics.  

None of the above absolves the seriousness of what happened last week - which was very clearly tied to Trump and radicals with one agenda on the docket.  But I am more like Tex and believe that democracy will live on and don't for a second buy into the extreme's of either party but also recognize we have to respect and take serious what did happen. Without doing such - could put us at a greater risk of what could come. 

We are going to need more people to put their party aside right now and to first and foremost focus on ridding us of this pandemic and hopefully with it, we might be able to rid ourselves at the polarized cancer we have created within this country.  If we want to keep engaging in a tit for tac, we will all lose.  And while I think Biden has a really really difficult task in front of him, I think he is one of the few individuals cut out to potentially take on this battle and potentially go down as one of the better presidents of all time (if not best - when history looks back on the circumstances that he entered in with).   

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I found this and thought I would share, if there’s anything anyone else has read that says otherwise, I’d love to see it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics/fact-check-tweet-trump-impeachment-run-2024-secret-service/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2Er0HzsJKnjckwqNpHGS8l8oablOhdLmAp1d8u8iX55s4HjQbXu6QYkuk

He is not going to actually run. He may fake it so he can "fundraise". But I am sure the Democrats would like nothing more than Trump running again. He would get slaughtered.