2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Kyyle don't be dem apologist... 

Edit: Don't let the title fool you. 6 minute clip.

I'm not gonna say there wasn't options for the Democrats to delay but McConnell was gonna force this through one way or another.   

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm not gonna say there wasn't options for the Democrats to delay but McConnell was gonna force this through one way or another.   

Democrats just don't have the IT factor when it comes to politics.  They always play defense and that's why republicans continuously steam roll them.  Most voters can see the glaring hypocrisy of republicans when you look at what happened in 2016 and 2020.  Trump is getting dusted tonight and that's why they jammed through that pick.  Dems allowed that garbage to coerce people to vote them in and to increase their donations which worked like a charm.  We are all suckers and chumps, we deserve everything that comes our way.

2 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Democrats just don't have the IT factor when it comes to politics.  They always play defense and that's why republicans continuously steam roll them.  Most voters can see the glaring hypocrisy of republicans when you look at what happened in 2016 and 2020.  Trump is getting dusted tonight and that's why they jammed through that pick.  Dems allowed that garbage to coerce people to vote them in and to increase their donations which worked like a charm.  We are all suckers and chumps, we deserve everything that comes our way.

Not gonna argue this, I believe that democrats need to play a lot tougher.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not gonna argue this, I believe that democrats need to play a lot tougher.   

I hope they start soon because the republican future looks grim after this Trump debacle.  They acted like democrats for four years if you asked me.  You don't allow someone like Trump to hijack your party and define it, how will they get that stench off?

12 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I hope they start soon because the republican future looks grim after this Trump debacle.  They acted like democrats for four years if you asked me.  You don't allow someone like Trump to hijack your party and define it, how will they get that stench off?

A lot of them are reveling in that stench. I think they are about to realize that the cult of personality jolt that they are experiencing starts and stops with Trump. 

if Trump loses it should be very interesting to watch chuds like Gaetz and Jordan, because I believe they are never going to go back on this.

46 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

M4A, UBI, Legit GND, $15/min wage, Affordable housing, etc...

When will people realize they are getting played....................................................  Keep taking it up the ass with no lube lol

I don’t want any of those selfish things and I think the purpose of the federal government and this nation as a whole is altogether different, so get outta here with your belief that I’m getting screwed.

2 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

I don’t want any of those selfish things and I think the purpose of the federal government and this nation as a whole is altogether different, so get outta here with your belief that I’m getting screwed.

Good for you, you're one person.  These policies help the mass amount of people that aren't able to get by.  I'm well off but I know these policies will help my fellow man and I care about my neighbors.  Pretty selfish on my part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, The Beast said:

I would like to know why people vote for mostly fringe third party candidates that aren’t viable. The closest was Perot (and then Nader?). People I know who complain about a two party system offer no reforms or alternatives to make a third party vote viable. 

I voted for Gary Johnson last year.  If he wasn't running I was going to vote for.....no one.

I had no confidence that he was going to win, but if the amount of voting for him was high enough to peak interest from people to think outside 2 choices in future elections, then my vote was worth it.  I think he had a chance at actually getting more attention until they tried to blow him up over the Allepo gaff. Which is ironic because our 2 candidates now are dropping way bigger gaffs every week.  One doesn't seem to know where or who he is half the time, the other has pretended we are not in a global pandemic for the last 9 months.

This year I have no intention of voting in the presidential election.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

So you brought it up, Poppy. Explain to me why you want to keep the electoral college in 2020 and beyond. What's the argument? 

That we are a collection of states and those states deserve representation in their own right. Strong bastions of partisan thought centered in certain geographic locales should not determine the overall direction of the country.

The EC is susceptible to manipulation.  These smaller states with sub million population could be overrun with states with larger liberal populations pretty easily.  If you flood ID, WY, UT, The Dakotas with 300k liberals, you change the dynamic of the entire state with one swoop.  I rather not have that level of influencing elections by opening up tech businesses in these areas and effectively coup-ing the shit out of these states.  The EC needs reforming and fast because both sides like it for their own partisan reasons, there is nothing to stop what I just stated and repubs would absolutely cry foul.

• Like 1

Good for you, you're one person.  These policies help the mass amount of people that aren't able to get by.  I'm well off but I know these policies will help my fellow man and I care about my neighbors.  Pretty selfish on my part.

So support a limited welfare state, which I do. You and I don’t deserve $1k extra a month just for being alive. So scratch UBI entirely. I can pay for my health insurance, so let’s establish a public option for the neediest but let those who can handle it themselves do so. Rather than trying to live off minimum wage, encourage self improvement and let teenagers make $7.50 an hour. There is affordable housing out there but it might not be in SF or Brooklyn (hell, I couldn’t even afford housing in those places). So get out there and find it.

So far, it looks like there are big turnouts today.  This, in addition to the huge early vote counts ensures a voter turnout unlike anything we've seen.  It's hard to say for sure, but I would think bigger turnout favors Biden and the Democrats.  I keep thinking about 2016 and seeing that over 100 million people didn't vote.  Hopefully we've learned from that.

My two oldest are 19 and 18, and they voted in their first presidential election today.  They are just two of a large group of new voters who have seen what has happened over the past four years.  Regardless of who young voters vote for, they will have an impact on this election, 2022, 2024, and beyond.

• Like 2

The EC is susceptible to manipulation.  These smaller states with sub million population could be overrun with states with larger liberal populations pretty easily.  If you flood ID, WY, UT, The Dakotas with 300k liberals, you change the dynamic of the entire state with one swoop.  I rather not have that level of influencing elections by opening up tech businesses in these areas and effectively coup-ing the shit out of these states.  The EC needs reforming and fast because both sides like it for their own partisan reasons, there is nothing to stop what I just stated and repubs would absolutely cry foul.

So if Google, Apple, and Microsoft decided to move their entire operations to ND at one time, assuming those techies are an ideological monolith in the first place, they could steal three whole EC votes, and that’s why you don’t like it? C’mon man, that’s as nutty as something Q would come up with.

3 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

That we are a collection of states and those states deserve representation in their own right. Strong bastions of partisan thought centered in certain geographic locales should not determine the overall direction of the country.

When 65-70% of economic activity is generated from/by blue states and 65% of Federal government spending is reallocated to those red states, like Kentucky, for example...something is radically wrong.

How could anyone argue that’s fair or equitable?  

Or that not even 1/3rd of Americans believe a woman’s right to get an abortion should be limited in the first two trimesters...and it certainly doesn’t make any sense when fewer and fewer people believe in God or go to church each year, but we’re going to set the clock back 40 years because of 87,000 votes in PA, MI, and WI four years ago?  Or that those same 87,000 voters are going to potentially throw 20,000,000+ people off their health insurance in the middle of a pandemic?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

When the President actively sabatogued the PR recovery, my hope was that there would be a mass migration to places like PA/MI/WI/FL which would swing the election against him.  It would be the most fitting way for him to lose.

4 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

So support a limited welfare state, which I do. You and I don’t deserve $1k extra a month just for being alive. So scratch UBI entirely. I can pay for my health insurance, so let’s establish a public option for the neediest but let those who can handle it themselves do so. Rather than trying to live off minimum wage, encourage self improvement and let teenagers make $7.50 an hour. There is affordable housing out there but it might not be in SF or Brooklyn (hell, I couldn’t even afford housing in those places). So get out there and find it.

When will it be limited for corporations and the Top 1%?  Why should Bezos, Buffett, Gates and Zuck pay taxes at a rate of only 60-65% of the rate charged to their administrative assistants earning just $50,000 per year.....due to capital gains being fixed so low due to lobbyists?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When the President actively sabatogued the PR recovery, my hope was that there would be a mass migration to places like PA/MI/WI/FL which would swing the election against him.  It would be the most fitting way for him to lose.

Florida will be the obvious repercussion over PR and Covid (seniors splitting) where Trump will have nobody but himself to blame in retrospect...all he had to do was hand out relief supplies like a decent, conscientious human being with an ounce of empathy.

16 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

The bolded is your opinion.  I do not believe in the richest country on earth we should have homeless people begging for money and sleeping on the street.  We can pull money out of our asses to give 5T to rich fucks but we cry poor when it comes to helping our most vulnerable.  The US a fucking failed state.  Just because some are doing well and think all is good in their egocentric bubbles doesn't mean other people are doing great.  If we start taking care of our vulnerable population America will run like a fine tuned machine.  The rich people will still get their dough because people will have money to spend.  Not everyone can work or find great jobs... your location and the local economy dictate what jobs are available for the most part.  That is why metro areas have the most people... more opportunities in theory.

The last part, you're telling me some poor broke ass person could easily find a house if they wanted?  I would give you whatever odds you want in a wager you're dead wrong.  The government's job isn't necessarily to be a nanny to its people but to have resources available to help people who are down in a succinct manner.  If this pandemic taught the US anything, it should be that this country is a virus away from totally crumbling and that's because its foundation is weak.

Edited by pettie4sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

The bolded is your opinion.  I do not believe in the richest country on earth we should have homeless people begging for money and sleeping on the street.  We can pull money out of our asses to give 5T to rich fucks but we cry poor when it comes to helping our most vulnerable.  The US a fucking failed state.  Just because some are doing well and think all is good in their egocentric bubbles doesn't mean other people are doing great.  If we start taking care of our vulnerable population America will run like a fine tuned machine.  The rich people will still get their dough because people will have money to spend.  Not everyone can work or find great jobs... your location and the local economy dictate what jobs are available for the most part.  That is why metro areas have the most people... more opportunities in theory.

The last part, you're telling me some poor broke ass person could easily find a house if they wanted?  I would give you whatever odds you want in a wager you're dead wrong.  The government's job isn't necessarily to be a nanny to its people but to have resources available to help people who are down in a succinct manner.  If this pandemic taught the US anything, it should be that this country is a virus away from totally crumbling and that's because it's foundation is weak.

Anyone who ignores that this is a welfare state for the rich and not the poor has their head buried in the sand. Period, end of story.

It is free-market ruthless capitalism for everyone but the filthy rich people who say it's the only way to succeed.

We can't help homeless people and the struggling, but we can allow the rich to steal billions upon billions and then bail them out when they commit fraud.

I'm amazed at how many people don't see how ass backwards the system works.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1