2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

The Medicaid expansion was really good, shame that one unelected judge got to rewrite that important part of the law and kept millions from accessing healthcare for years.

There are many officials who believe their jobs depend upon keeping us divided. Health care was a Romney idea that turned into cuz Obama.

1 hour ago, Danny Dravot said:

I really want to read this but have a personal policy to never pay any amount for subscription journalism.

Clear your cookies. They typically give a set number of free articles per week or per month or something like that. If you clear them, it resets the number.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EWErickson/status/1334246698802159617

I think people should vote. I think Democrats should vote. I think Republicans should vote. I think MAGAists should vote. I think communist party members should vote. I think conspiracy theorists should vote. I think people who only care about securing their own welfare benefits should vote. I think a lot of them are dead wrong, but I think all of them should vote. I think electoral turnout is one of our greatest metrics as a country.

I get the feeling, however, that a lot of the “don’t forget to vote” Twitter crowd really only wants you to vote if you agree with them.

Disclosure: this is uncouth but not illegal. Also, if you fall for it as a Georgian, you are really, really stupid.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

In a lawsuit challenging election results in WI, the brilliant ⁦@SidneyPowell1⁩ demands “48 hours of security camera recording of all rooms used in the voting process at the TCF Center for Nov 3, 2020 and Nov 4, 2020.”

The TCF Center is in Detroit. Oops, wrong state.

She really should be sanctioned at least, and perhaps have her law license revoked. 

Hugo Chavez used crooked software that was hacked into the US machines. Something like that. 

11 hours ago, hogan873 said:

You can play with numbers from any states, especially the swing states, and see how Biden won.  If PA and MI had gone to Trump along with say GA, Trump would have won.  But in that case you're talking about 250,000+ votes.  I get what the author of the tweet is saying, though.  The electoral college is ridiculous and needs to be abolished.

If my memory is correct, didn’t Trump win with a thinner margin with fewer states in 2016 than Biden won in terms of states and votes this time around? If so, getting insurance through Arizona was key and is a good sign going forward if it trends purple.

3 hours ago, pcq said:

There are many officials who believe their jobs depend upon keeping us divided. Health care was a Romney idea that turned into cuz Obama.

And yet the progressives I read on Facebook and even here have nothing to say on the matter except for taking a crap on the ACA and promoting M4A with no plan as to how to get the plan through Congress and into law. I guess they have accepted that it will take a different president and a vastly different ideological Congress.

5 hours ago, pcq said:

The truth is we do not have a true democracy and the system can be corrupted by the unethical. Meanwhile December 8 and 14 loom large as the dates for electoral voting then confirmation in Congress. It is sure to be disrupted by some noise and unrest.

What could the Trumplican Party possibly do by then?

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

If my memory is correct, didn’t Trump win with a thinner margin with fewer states in 2016 than Biden won in terms of states and votes this time around? If so, getting insurance through Arizona was key and is a good sign going forward if it trends purple.

And yet the progressives I read on Facebook and even here have nothing to say on the matter except for taking a crap on the ACA and promoting M4A with no plan as to how to get the plan through Congress and into law. I guess they have accepted that it will take a different president and a vastly different ideological Congress.

Congress could be assaulted by militia acting out. Fairly predictable at this point. 

5 hours ago, The Beast said:

The Electoral College vote was the same, 306-232.

Popular vote margin about twice Clinton's, roughly 7 million more.

Georgia likely will split in the runoffs, leaving Senate GOP 49-51 with Romney/Murkowski/Collins and Manchin as swing votes.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Georgia likely will split in the runoffs, leaving Senate GOP 49-51 with Romney/Murkowski/Collins and Manchin as swing votes.

I don't see that happening.  I can't envision many split ballots.

16 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Republicans won't stand up to Trump because that would be "political suicide." Yet, with his craziness, Trump is risking losses in GA that would give the Dems control of the Senate. How is that for political suicide? 

They already lost the WH by not standing up to the guy.

25 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

I don't see that happening.  I can't envision many split ballots.

I agree. Personally, I find Loeffler pretty gross (wouldn’t vote for Warnock though) but would prefer Perdue to Ossoff, but I don’t live in Georgia. I figure some will split for whatever reason but not enough to make a difference. As goes one, so shall the other.

18 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Republicans won't stand up to Trump because that would be "political suicide." Yet, with his craziness, Trump is risking losses in GA that would give the Dems control of the Senate. How is that for political suicide? 

I saw an interesting analogy the other day about “belling the cat”. It’s in the collective interest of all mice to bell the cat, but in the individual interest of no particular mouse to be the one to do it. No Republican wanted to off themselves in 2016 to stand up to a much less lethal Trump, and now they have to deal with one who is much more politically dangerous.

The Roger Stone is saying some ships from North Korea docked in Maine and unloaded shipfulls of ballots for Biden. 

I really think these people want to test the tipping point. They want to see how far out they go until the lightbulb finally goes on in their cult members' heads that they are being fed a load of shit. Telling them their money is going into Trumps pocket doesn't matter. They think democrats run child sex rings from pizza joints and eat abortions. There may be no outer limit.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Roger Stone is saying some ships from North Korea docked in Maine and unloaded shipfulls of ballots for Biden. 

I really think these people want to test the tipping point. They want to see how far out they go until the lightbulb finally goes on in their cult members' heads that they are being fed a load of shit. Telling them their money is going into Trumps pocket doesn't matter. They think democrats run child sex rings from pizza joints and eat abortions. There may be no outer limit.

First of all, why would a ship from Asia dock on the east coast?

FL Republican lawyer telling a group of republicans to move to Georgia for a couple of months and register to vote. He was pressed on this by the enemy of the people, the press. He then said he was joking. The fake news reporter checked. The day after he gave this talk. He registered to vote in Georgia.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

FL Republican lawyer telling a group of republicans to move to Georgia for a couple of months and register to vote. He was pressed on this by the enemy of the people, the press. He then said he was joking. The fake news reporter checked. The day after he gave this talk. He registered to vote in Georgia.

I am not going to lie, when Trump pissed on PR after their hurricane, I kind of hoped there would be a mass migration to swing states of people from PR and they would be the reason he lost the election.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

I agree. Personally, I find Loeffler pretty gross (wouldn’t vote for Warnock though) but would prefer Perdue to Ossoff, but I don’t live in Georgia. I figure some will split for whatever reason but not enough to make a difference. As goes one, so shall the other.

How can you find either of these two preferable?  They both used insider knowledge to game the system and stock market and have profited off the deaths of thousands.  They should both be in jail 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

How can you find either of these two preferable?  They both used insider knowledge to game the system and stock market and have profited off the deaths of thousands.  They should both be in jail 

And because they are in Congress, nothing happened.

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Because I'm a right-leaning moderate? I do not want a Democrat-controlled Senate (my main desire on ED was Biden victory with Republican Senate). Also, I thought the stock market gamers were Loeffler, Burr (NC) and Feinstein. I don't recall Perdue having a hand in that.

Edit: just looked it up and he did. So, scratch that.

Edited by Danny Dravot

4 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Because I'm a right-leaning moderate? I do not want a Democrat-controlled Senate (my main desire on ED was Biden victory with Republican Senate). Also, I thought the stock market gamers were Loeffler, Burr (NC) and Feinstein. I don't recall Perdue having a hand in that.

Perdue has made more stock trades in his time in the Senate than anyone else, including plenty of questionably timed ones and stocks linked directly to companies that fall under the committee he controls.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/02/us/politics/david-perdue-stock-trades.html

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And because they are in Congress, nothing happened.

It's completely legal for them to trade on information gained in non-public hearings or in laws and appropriations they write and pass.

When Madison modeled the Senate off of his ideas of the old Roman one, he was closer than he might have thought!

Edited by StrangeSox

3 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

There were many.  Purdue was among them.

https://www.salon.com/2020/11/19/exclusive-watchdog-files-complaint-with-sec-accusing-gop-sen-david-perdue-of-insider-trading/

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Murkowski is a candidate to flip since she would have a tough time winning her primary in 2022. On the other hand she has won before as an independent after losing the primary and the ranked choice voting that passed in Alaska might help her too.