2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Which is an interesting slippery slope. I made a "mistake" and voted by mail and in person. I made a "mistake" and sent in my dead grandmother's ballot instead of mine. I'm not shocked that it's zero, but I would have expected one or two. 

But, yeah, in the end they found what most everyone understood, he lost because people didn't like him and his policies. 

No. This is re-counting the votes that were already counted. Ones where someone clearly did something wrong were already rejected and not in the pool of counted votes. Signatures that didn't match were already rejected. The ballot where someone accidentally voted for 2 people were already rejected. They were re-counting the votes that counted and asking if they still counted. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No. This is re-counting the votes that were already counted. Ones where someone clearly did something wrong were already rejected and not in the pool of counted votes. Signatures that didn't match were already rejected. The ballot where someone accidentally voted for 2 people were already rejected. They were re-counting the votes that counted and asking if they still counted. 

So there were instances of fraud and mistakes but they were caught correctly the first time.  

Just now, Texsox said:

So there were instances of fraud and mistakes but they were caught correctly the first time.  

I doubt Fraud, because deliberate fraud is extremely rare as people know the penalties are huge. Mistakes and signatures that didn't match - absolutely. There's no reason to re-count those to prove that the votes that were counted were legal because those votes weren't counted.

Once you've done a pass for signatures that didn't match well, and you take the ones that were judged to match and ask again if they match, you can't be all that surprised if they match.

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

My general recommendation to my seniors is don't borrow for your first two years. Community college or one of the local four year public schools. But then go away for at least two years. It makes the most sense for the most students. I do have those that are prepping for med school or a top law school and it's not as clear cut for the.  

Thank you for sharing this with them, we need more guidance in our high schools.

10 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Thank you for sharing this with them, we need more guidance in our high schools.

My experience is there are plenty of resources but kids don't use them. Every campus I've been on has a full time staff member to help kids with this. I teach two sections of a class that is 100% focused on getting accepted into college, paying for college, being successful in college, and setting yourself up for a career. When I first started teaching the course we had scholarship Fridays where the entire class period was devoted to applying for scholarships. 90% of the kids just sat and talked with their friends. I eventually cut it back to once a month. This year I had about 30 recruiters and application committee folks from universities across the US both private and public Zoom call the classes.  Only a couple kids would show up for the calls. Each of the recruiters were great sources not just about their university, but the process in general. 

But my generation didn't listen either, nor did my parents . . . 

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates - circa 399 BC

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I doubt Fraud, because deliberate fraud is extremely rare as people know the penalties are huge. Mistakes and signatures that didn't match - absolutely. There's no reason to re-count those to prove that the votes that were counted were legal because those votes weren't counted.

Once you've done a pass for signatures that didn't match well, and you take the ones that were judged to match and ask again if they match, you can't be all that surprised if they match.

I believe fraud is more common than you think. There are a lot of folks that claim Texas as their home state to avoid certain types of income tax, but they have retired and moved away. Since they continue to claim Texas as their residency they vote in Texas even though they don't currently meet the legal requirements. There is a cottage industry helping full time RV owners establish Texas as their "home", again they do not meet the legal requirement in Texas to vote here. Then there are the people who move within the state and forget to change their vote registration but continue to vote in their former district. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I believe fraud is more common than you think. There are a lot of folks that claim Texas as their home state to avoid certain types of income tax, but they have retired and moved away. Since they continue to claim Texas as their residency they vote in Texas even though they don't currently meet the legal requirements. There is a cottage industry helping full time RV owners establish Texas as their "home", again they do not meet the legal requirement in Texas to vote here. Then there are the people who move within the state and forget to change their vote registration but continue to vote in their former district. 

And there are Congresspeople who don't live in their district. They aren't voting twice, and at some point they were legally allowed to vote in the district where they registered. 

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And there are Congresspeople who don't live in their district. They aren't voting twice, and at some point they were legally allowed to vote in the district where they registered. 

At some point, just not at the point they were voting. That's like saying at some point it was ok for me to drive 70 just not at this point. It's still illegal and wrong. 

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

At some point, just not at the point they were voting. That's like saying at some point it was ok for me to drive 70 just not at this point. It's still illegal and wrong. 

Yeah, but there aren't that many black RV owners so we don't need to worry about that.

4 hours ago, pcq said:

McConnell may try to block any objections. Not sure if the courts would intervene. 

Courts won’t matter. But it’s worth considering that if the Republicans had the House, 2020 might have ended Democracy through this objection. Happy New Year. Maybe there should be a more explicit legal defense against that.

So these people suing Pence, saying he alone has the right to choose the President, when they ultimately lose this suit, does their thinking change, or will they truly believe Kamala Harris should have the right to determine who should be President in 2025? 

I am guessing their thinking will change as fast as it did with deficits when it was determined Trump was on his way out.

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So these people suing Pence, saying he alone has the right to choose the President, when they ultimately lose this suit, does their thinking change, or will they truly believe Kamala Harris should have the right to determine who should be President in 2025? 

I am guessing their thinking will change as fast as it did with deficits when it was determined Trump was on his way out.

Not to mention that Pence would be electing himself since he would stay as VP. Slight conflict of interest there. I never knew that candidates can elect themselves.

All of this is so damn stupid. The votes have been counted and certified. January 6 should only be a formality. It was in 2001 when Bush was elected even though there was much more evidence that election was stolen from Gore than this election was stolen when Trump is losing by over 7,000,000. These Republicans are genuflecting in front of a man who will be out of office in less than three weeks. Talk about spineless.

Edited by NWINFan

15 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Not to mention that Pence would be electing himself since he would stay as VP. Slight conflict of interest there. I never knew that candidates can elect themselves.

All of this is so damn stupid. The votes have been counted and certified. January 6 should only be a formality. It was in 2001 when Bush was elected even though there was much more evidence that election was stolen from Gore than this election was stolen when Trump is losing by over 7,000,000. These Republicans are genuflecting in front of a man who will be out of office in less than three weeks. Talk about spineless.

It’s so funny how scared they are of Trump. Even as he is being shown the door. They overrode his veto on the defense spending bill, but Ted Cruz, a guy Teump called a liar, his father involved in the JFK assasination, his wife ugly, and also accused him of rigging the Iowa caucuses, saying they had to have a re-do when he beat Trump in 2016, didn’t even vote. He was too scared to vote against Trump.

Might kinda be time for the voters to start actually voting these guys out... you can only blame the politicians for this obscene behaviour for so long. America doesn't get to be a democracy by default, or because it is a pre-destined city on a hill. You actually have to do something to keep it.

2 hours ago, KipWellsFan said:

Might kinda be time for the voters to start actually voting these guys out... you can only blame the politicians for this obscene behaviour for so long. America doesn't get to be a democracy by default, or because it is a pre-destined city on a hill. You actually have to do something to keep it.

While true, there are a lot of dumb and/or uninformed people who will never understand these fucks were trying undermine democracy.

• Like 1

Mark Levin’s op-ed has some factual flaws:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theblaze.com/amp/levin-on-january-6-we-learn-whether-our-constitution-will-hold-2649701271

The voters in Michigan changed voting rules, the legislature in PA made changes with the Governor the year before, PA Supreme Court judges were picked in 2015 and not in 2018 and his argument on Georgia is more of an opinion. He is not the ground source of truth like his followers must think he is. I guess he’s just pissed about the high turnout and giving people a chance to vote during a pandemic.

Edited by The Beast

17 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s so funny how scared they are of Trump. Even as he is being shown the door. They overrode his veto on the defense spending bill, but Ted Cruz, a guy Teump called a liar, his father involved in the JFK assasination, his wife ugly, and also accused him of rigging the Iowa caucuses, saying they had to have a re-do when he beat Trump in 2016, didn’t even vote. He was too scared to vote against Trump.

Cruz simply doesn't have any pride. He so craves the presidency that he thinks he has to kiss up to Trump in order to survive the primary process. And it will be all for nothing. Most in his own party can't stand him, and I can't imagine him winning the nomination. Regardless, if this is what a person has to do to hold onto power, it seems to me that person has little power. The Republicans really need to distance themselves from Trump. It will be a rough ride, but right now they look totally inept. And no, the GA runoff elections are not unconstitutional. Trump doesn't even know what is in the Constitution.

• Thanks 1

I'm wondering which donors Trump controls. He's been whining about a lack of fundraising so it doesn't seem like many. So mainstream Republican candidates must be afraid of turning off his voters. Which really only makes sense if you believe they will stay home. His loyalists are not going to flip Democrat in any huge numbers. 

The most interesting thing to me going forward is how Trump will stay in the headlines.  I doubt he will retire with dignity as other presidents have done. I also don't see him working too much so a daily or weekly TV show doesn't seem assured. Will his nightly tweets be reported by everyone?