2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

58 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I still don’t fully understand why you guys only have two parties to vote from. It’s insane to me. 

Structure of our electoral systems makes it pretty much impossible to have more than that because you'd never win. We don't do parliamentary coalitions or anything like that. It's all bare majority winner take all. If the left splintered from the Democrats, both would seriously struggle to win in a lot of races. Same if the GOP coalition split.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Lincoln has been quoted multiple times.  That seems to be the theme.  

It's chilling that both Republicans and Democrats are pulling examples from the Civil War. 

Think about that. Civil War era. 

Confederate flags flew in the US Capitol building today. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

This is another thing about the U.S.  you can respect your history without being stuck in it. Take the lessons from the past and adjust them to the present. That’s supposed to be how it works.

Seems too many are stuck in the past and refuse to accept the future. And then when they go obsolete it’s everyone else’s fault. Shit is nuts to me. 

Our political past is diefied and our constitution treated as holy scripture. It's... Not great

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Great speech

Meaningless.  He’s a coward with no morals and no backbone.  That goes for pretty much the entire Republican Party.  These speeches don’t mean a fucking thing when you haven’t done a thing to stop this for 4 years and in fact enabled it.  Fuck these people 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Structure of our electoral systems makes it pretty much impossible to have more than that because you'd never win. We don't do parliamentary coalitions or anything like that. It's all bare majority winner take all. If the left splintered from the Democrats, both would seriously struggle to win in a lot of races. Same if the GOP coalition split.

Thanks for this. I’m sure it isn’t realistic to adjust, but it just seems inherently problematic, although it did seem to work fine for a long time. 

The more I look at this, the more it looks like a staged event. Police let them in, literally opening the gate, and then pretend like they’re trying to push them back while cops in the background just stand around watching with their arms folded. Acting like they’re being overwhelmed when they’re barely making contact with each other. Looks fake as hell. No way any of those cops thought they or anyone else was in actual danger. As we’ve seen in real protests, cops afraid of a mob in actuality bust heads open, soak them in pepper spray, run them over, etc. But they just let them waltz in, endangering some of the most powerful people in America?? I don’t think so.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The more I look at this, the more it looks like a staged event. Police let them in, literally opening the gate, and then pretend like they’re trying to push them back while cops in the background just stand around watching with their arms folded. Acting like they’re being overwhelmed when they’re barely making contact with each other. Looks fake as hell. No way any of those cops thought they or anyone else was in actual danger. As we’ve seen in real protests, cops afraid of a mob in actuality bust heads open, soak them in pepper spray, run them over, etc. But they just let them waltz in, endangering some of the most powerful people in America?? I don’t think so.

Cops overwhelmingly love Trump

5 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I think there were plenty of the cops who were put in actual danger, but I also think that they opened the gates for them and helped walk them out without arresting anyone. They were overwhelmed in places because Trump had blocked any use of the national guard, but enough of them wanted to help the mob that they got out of the way until their colleagues were in jeopardy. 

11 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The dead woman was real commitment to the staging

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Everyone ripping the police in this thread should fucking apologize.  I’m sure there were some officers that did nothing, but look at what these poor fucks had to deal with.  Again, focus on the issue at hand which is the attack on democracy that our douchebag President encouraged.

• Thanks 2