2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

January 20 cannot get here soon enough.  Trump remaining in office for another two weeks is extremely dangerous to this country.  Incidents like yesterday will continue to occur.  More people will die, more people will get hurt.  The 25th amendment is the quickest way to do something, but I will be very surprised if anything happens.

Seriously, what do cabinet members and Pence have to lose by invoking the 25th and removing Trump?  If they're concerned about being out of the good graces of Trump and his supporters, they don't have their priorities straight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Seriously, what do cabinet members and Pence have to lose by invoking the 25th and removing Trump?  If they're concerned about being out of the good graces of Trump and his supporters, they don't have their priorities straight.

The people in Trump's cabinet got there because they were willing to be sycophants. Mike Pence is Trump's VP because if Trump randomly puts a water bottle on the floor for no reason, Mike Pence will do the exact same thing. IIRC the Attorney General and SecDef or something like that haven't even received Senate hearings because they were put in place as acting ones so recently.

Reminds me of this quote after a hurricane hit Tallahassee during the 2019 government shutdown

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/florida-government-shutdown-marianna.html

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

• Thanks 1

Elaine Chao just resigned, so it’s really on with Trump vs. McConnell.

GA runoffs were undoubtedly the final straw for that family, as Trump cost her husband his majority leader spot for two years and perhaps longer.   Buttigieg now gets to hit the ground running on that long-debated infrastructure stimulus bill.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/politics/elaine-chao-cabinet-resignation-trump/index.html

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully Lightfoot is already starting whatever needs to be done to fire this clown.

LOL you're going to love this part. He's already suspended.

Catanzara is currently relieved of his police powers and under investigation by the department on allegations related to a 2018 police report he filed against then-police Supt Eddie Johnson. Catanzara accused Johnson of breaking the law by allowing marchers onto the Dan Ryan Expressway during the summer of 2018 to protest city violence.

A 25-year veteran of the force, Catanzara has had dozens of complaints filed against him in his career. He has also been suspended multiple times and two former Chicago police superintendents have independently tried to fire him for separate violations. Both times he was ultimately restored to his position by the Chicago Police Board.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-politics/there-will-be-a-reckoning-for-the-fop-lightfoot-says/2288369/

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Pelosi said just now they are prepared to impeach btw

Yep. Pelosi doesn't move and then whip at least without the executive. When she has her caucus she'll act and then whip to keep it.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully Lightfoot is already starting whatever needs to be done to fire this clown.

“It’s an inconvenience at this point, is all it is,” he said. “This is not some mass insurrection, coup attempt. They’re not destroying or burning down the fricking Capitol building. This hyperbole and this emotion that the media is spewing now, like this is some kind of end-of-times scenario, is ridiculous.”

Dem leadership moved fast this morning, good. House and Senate leadership calling for immediate invocation of the 25th or they'll move to impeachment quickly. Need to impeach anyway to bar from future federal office, but that could be handled after the imminent danger is removed.

Even Biden is out with uncharacteristically strong language.

“They weren’t protesters. Don’t dare call them protesters. They were a riotous mob. Insurrectionists. Domestic terrorists,” President-elect Joe Biden says. "I wish we could say we couldn’t see it coming. But that wasn’t true. We COULD see it coming."

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Even Biden is out with uncharacteristically strong language.

“They weren’t protesters. Don’t dare call them protesters. They were a riotous mob. Insurrectionists. Domestic terrorists,” President-elect Joe Biden says. "I wish we could say we couldn’t see it coming. But that wasn’t true. We COULD see it coming."

I mean that isn’t too different from what he said about BLM last summer