2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

10 hours ago, mqr said:

If those people exist, which I really doubt, it's in states where it doesn't matter who they vote for anyway I would think. 

I guess I am trying to figure out where the so called silent majority or silent Trump voters would be coming from, unless they are lying to pollsters. Hopefully the polls hold up in the states where it matters. 

9 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

When will we get competent candidates to vote for again? I hate having to choose the lesser of two evils.  

What candidates did you consider competent and why are the current candidates not competent (aside from the obvious)?

I wonder how Texas will end up this time around. I think it still probably is red, but there has been a massive influx of people to the Dallas-FW and Austin areas (among others) over the past 4 years. Generally I'd say those are blue votes. I can see that being closer than anticipated. 

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I wonder how Texas will end up this time around. I think it still probably is red, but there has been a massive influx of people to the Dallas-FW and Austin areas (among others) over the past 4 years. Generally I'd say those are blue votes. I can see that being closer than anticipated. 

The fact that Texas is even close is mind boggling.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The fact that Texas is even close is mind boggling.

It is mind boggling to an extent, but the demographics are changing there. Ted Cruz said as much after he eked out a win over O'Rourke. I think the whole South is changing. i don't see it much in states like Alabama and Mississippi, but the rest of the region is changing. It will never be a liberal bastion, but the solid GOP hold is slipping somewhat. The "Southern Strategy" that Nixon used in 1968 is no longer in play. 

6 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Texas has gotten a lot of people from California - not sure if it is the red people from CA fleeing the state or more blue (I assume more has to do with the businesses leaving and the people following their jobs, but wouldn't that be a shock if their aggressive tactics to steal from more blue states, politically ended up turning their state blue.  Hadn't thought of it that way.  

7 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

The last Senate race was close. The tech industry is growing fast, bringing in younger, more liberal voters.

Most of Texas is rural and rural residents don't need or receive much in government services. Classic small government conservatism makes sense for them. As people start living closer together in bigger towns and cities, rules for living near people and government programs make more sense. Classic big government liberalism makes sense.

Then there is a streak of take care of your own shit and stop waiting for someone to take care of you independence that seems to run through both political spectrums.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, Balta1701 said:

The Supreme Court would like Pennsylvania voters to know that they will not overrule the state's Supreme Court today on what the deadline is for ballots to arrive, but they may change their mind and come back and toss out ballots after retroactively changing the rules.

Texas Republicans are now asking a court to throw out 100,000 already cast votes from the city of Houston. 

The future belongs to virtual countries so you won't be tethered to the depressing bumswipes who live down the block. 

I voted today and felt good about how it was handled by the people in Kansas. I don't sense any funny stuff going on. I'm convinced we are in a new era and yes I am concerned about the election being corrupt and fixed. Today renewed my faith in the system at least in Kansas. 

23 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Harris County (Houston) as well, which is past its 2016 total vote already as of last night.

In fact, the entire state of Texas is past the 2016 vote total

On 10/29/2020 at 9:28 AM, NWINFan said:

It is mind boggling to an extent, but the demographics are changing there. Ted Cruz said as much after he eked out a win over O'Rourke. I think the whole South is changing. i don't see it much in states like Alabama and Mississippi, but the rest of the region is changing. It will never be a liberal bastion, but the solid GOP hold is slipping somewhat. The "Southern Strategy" that Nixon used in 1968 is no longer in play. 

This is the truth - in general things will skew towards blue. I think that's just normal progression & to be expected as we grow as a society. To me the issues are never red or blue, but rather inefficiencies. I'd lean more blue in many things, and more red a lot of others. But really we're purple. The overlap of the two is a lot more than the perception of folks. 

As more people move to the Sun Belt, something i think will continue to happen as WFH is expanded, then i thnk you'll start seeing more and more states down there flipped. 

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

I’m most scared of a red wave because then you’ll see all the young white people setting our cities on fire.  That could get ugly for a bunch of obvious reasons.  

Maybe no matter what it’s gonna suck.  The news wins either way

King of England was also not a fan of young white people in America.

Young white people been up to no good since BCE.

Edited by Soxbadger

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I wouldn't know about that, my people were too busy fighting slavery in Egypt.

Well in that case would you like to see some very fine young white people chanting “Jews will not replace us”? Cause that’s a thing in this world too. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well in that case would you like to see some very fine young white people chanting “Jews will not replace us”? Cause that’s a thing in this world too. 

Im not sure where you are going with this. Maybe my first post was unclear but I was trying to show that sometimes young people need to stand up against inequality and injustice.

That often times the powers that be call it a "riot" or try and arrest them.

I used young white people because that is what the poster in front of me said and Im pretty sure they were referring to liberals  (implying they were bad actors) and not Nazi youths.

Either way, white people have done a lot of bad things, but they also have done good. Im not really sure why the person originally took the time to post "white" and possibly my interpretation was wrong.

That being said my point was that what has happened the last 4 years cant continue and sometimes theres nothing wrong with some revolutionary spirit.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not sure where you are going with this. Maybe my first post was unclear but I was trying to show that sometimes young people need to stand up against inequality and injustice.

That often times the powers that be call it a "riot" or try and arrest them.

I used young white people because that is what the poster in front of me said and Im pretty sure they were referring to liberals  (implying they were bad actors) and not Nazi youths.

Either way, white people have done a lot of bad things, but they also have done good. Im not really sure why the person originally took the time to post "white" and possibly my interpretation was wrong.

That being said my point was that what has happened the last 4 years cant continue and sometimes theres nothing wrong with some revolutionary spirit.

Gotcha.  Na I just got pissed watching young white people try to hijack a super important time.  Like STFU and listen, with your heart.  

like I said, if there’s a red wave, then I’m most scared for minority communities.  They are the ones who are gonna have to deal with all the carnage caused by pretending-to-be-mad white people.  

I hope Biden wins just to spare them from that crap

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Gotcha.  Na I just got pissed watching young white people try to hijack a super important time.  Like STFU and listen, with your heart.  

like I said, if there’s a red wave, then I’m most scared for minority communities.  They are the ones who are gonna have to deal with all the carnage caused by pretending-to-be-mad white people.  

I hope Biden wins just to spare them from that crap

Why do you think white people have to be "pretending-to-be-mad?"

I dont really get to live in any world because there is no where that I truly fit in that regard. If you saw me on the street, you would say that I am "white." But less than a hundred years ago there were "white" people who were kiilling people like me because they werent really "white." A thousand years of persecution by "white people" makes it hard to see yourself as one of them. 

To me the US has always meant a lot. Back in the filibuster days I was probably one of the people who argued hardest for immigrant rights. Everyone having a chance here is extremely important to how I view this country. And the last 4 years have made me mad. And I am trying to be optimistic, I am trying so hard to believe that American's will make the right choice, that deep down inside there is a fundamental fairness and that the majority of Americans will be repulsed by what has happened to our country over the last 4 years.

If things go the other way, I am not sure what I should do. I do not want to give up on America because it is has given my family so much. So do I leave?  Do I spend hours trying to convince people to change their way of thinking? Do I go to protests? Do I start to disobey?

I dont have a good answer right now. But I understand why white people are mad. I dont think people are pretending.