2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They should just let McConnell appoint them all and then blame him in 2022 when everything has gone to all hell in a handbasket. 

This would be the first President with an oppositional Senate in most everyone's lifetime. 

Bush 41 was inaugurated with an oppositional Senate. Every president since Carter has faced one at some point.

Joe Biden should appoint moderates. You can be upset about it, but IF the Senate races hold this way and one of Perdue/Loeffler win their runoff, Biden doesn't have a progressive mandate. He'll find a reasonable way to handle it.

7 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Bush 41 was inaugurated with an oppositional Senate. Every president since Carter has faced one at some point.

Joe Biden should appoint moderates. You can be upset about it, but IF the Senate races hold this way and one of Perdue/Loeffler win their runoff, Biden doesn't have a progressive mandate. He'll find a reasonable way to handle it.

Except back then, working across the aisle didn't automatically risk your political career.   It made you a maverick, at worst... see McCain, John. 

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I dont think its fair to say Americans could have done something. Dems likely will win the popular vote by millions of votes.

Hopefully some Republicans are reasonable and bring back normalcy. 

We do better when we work together.

As a Republican, there are plenty of nominees that I would support. Saw something about Michele Flournoy for either SecDef or SOS. I'd support that. I'd be disappointed if McConnell and co did not (but I think they will, based on both her resume and Mitch's rumored feelings).

I'd also support Tony Blinken for one of those positions. I think that's reasonable.

And while obviously individual Americans can't change much, the trend matters. The trend here seems to be to reject Trump but not go overboard in the opposite direction either. So I don't think more progressive candidates will get approved and I don't personally see that as an issue.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Trump carried about 57% of the votes in the last count add.

That was more narrow than the last batch by a lot, and less than Trump needs (59%). 

That said, i still have no idea what makes the AP and company so confident that they've held their calls for the last 3 days in that state.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That was more narrow than the last batch by a lot, and less than Trump needs (59%). 

That said, i still have no idea what makes the AP and company so confident that they've held their calls for the last 3 days in that state.

Those on the ground are incredibly confident that the types of ballots left in Maricopa after this batch for Trump won’t be as favorable to Trump and he won’t be able to hold the 17 point lead the rest of the way through he needs to win.  

2 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Those on the ground are incredibly confident that the types of ballots left in Maricopa after this batch for Trump won’t be as favorable to Trump and he won’t be able to hold the 17 point lead the rest of the way through he needs to win.  

I mean, I don't know what their process is for "uncalling" a state so I get why that would have a high standard as that's a pretty important thing to say, but this one was clearly way too close to have been called.

1 minute ago, pcq said:

GA has enough votes left for Biden to take the lead which he will do. 

There are plenty in Clayton County alone. Trump will lose GA. He's going to lose PA too. It's over. It's all about running up the electoral count to make lawsuits meaningless. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are plenty in Clayton County alone. Trump will lose GA. He's going to lose PA too. It's over. It's all about running up the electoral count to make lawsuits meaningless. 

The lawsuits have all been meaningless

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

The lawsuits have all been meaningless

Yeah but the Supreme Court is still there. They're going to overturn the Affordable Care Act on a lawsuit that is completely meritless, but gives them a chance to do what they want.

In October, Kavanaugh already wrote a (non-binding) opinion that lost in a Wisconsin election case saying that Americans should know the winner on election day and any counts that come in afterwards should not count as they reduce confidence in the result. That was before the last justice was added.