Jump to content
hogan873

2020 Election Thoughts

Recommended Posts

I know others have said similar, but this has been a great thread. I've really enjoyed the civil discussions I've had with people I don't agree with politically, both in the thread and in messages as a result of the thread.

I completely understand why the buster is unlikely to return, but this thread might be an example of how it could potentially work. I've learned a lot about people's differing perspectives in a much more civilized manner than anywhere else on the internet

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know others have said similar, but this has been a great thread. I've really enjoyed the civil discussions I've had with people I don't agree with politically, both in the thread and in messages as a result of the thread.

I completely understand why the buster is unlikely to return, but this thread might be an example of how it could potentially work. I've learned a lot about people's differing perspectives in a much more civilized manner than anywhere else on the internet

This thread is the perfect autopsy of how a political discussion could work on Soxtalk. Aside from the trolls that have appeared at times, this thread didn’t really get derailed and has helped me understand others perspectives in a more civilized manner than anywhere else. This is the kind of discussion I want to have on social media but can’t because it is all about mudslinging and gaslighting. My thought on keeping a thread like this would be one thread for politics, where it can be locked to cool off temperatures and have swift and decisive action for people who get out of hand.

In terms of getting back to the discussion, I am really going to be curious how Biden can work with McConnell to get the stimulus package done and pass other pieces of legislation, like a health care public option, immigration reform, criminal justice reform or at the very minimum, an infrastructure bill. And, will moderate republicans like Romney, Murkowski and Collins vote with Democrats on any of these initiatives should they be called for a vote?

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Day Five. 

Those of us who have experienced a contentious divorce understand the feeling of why won't you just stop talking and go away? Break the china and take the souvenir bottle opener from Daytona Beach and leave. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polls can be biased because they tend to under-represent folks not fond of readin' and ritin'. Those who respond tend to be older and educated. There may be a correlation with Qanon whose members distrust msm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

 

 

Fine, Az/Phoenix/Maricopa...Nevada is LV/Clark and Reno.

GA spread over 7000, PA nearing 30,000 and could end up at 75-100,000 with provisionals.

Nevada also trending in the right direction...everywhere but AZ.

 

It would be hard to set foot in any US state, since I haven’t been able to leave Wuhan since August, 2019.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a report of a Nevada election official giving a small press conference. A Trump supporter stepped up to the microphone yelling and screaming that everything has been fixed. The Trumpie left and the official calmly asked, "Where was I?" There also have been accounts of PA election workers being escorted to their cars by police because of physical threats.

Election workers should be applauded for the work they have done. They are obviously under extreme pressure. It starts with the people who are drinking the Trump Kool-Aid. An honest account of election results cannot happen under threat. And Trump has done extreme damage by playing into the anger and frustrations of people who have no confidence in just about anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wisconsin Republicans caught apparently encouraging voter fraud in Pennsylvania

 

Ballots received by that point without postmarks, or with illegible postmarks, will be considered to have been mailed in time 'unless a preponderance of the evidence demonstrates that it was mailed after Election Day,'" the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, adding that "in Pennsylvania, postage is prepaid on some ballot envelopes. These prepaid envelopes are not automatically postmarked." The idea appeared to be to slip votes through by the Friday deadline in order to swing margins in the state back in Trump's favor, although Ben Geffen, an attorney at the Public Interest Law Center in Philadelphia, mused to The Daily Beast, "I wonder if they’re doing this in hopes of slipping one through and then waving it around as an example of the flawed process."

Either way, experts agreed the plan was exceedingly dumb. "This seems deeply stupid as it seems to be a solicitation to commit voter fraud," Richard Hasen, an elections law specialist, told the Journal Sentinel. "It's hard to believe this is real."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin-republicans-caught-apparently-encouraging-141226986.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I saw a report of a Nevada election official giving a small press conference. A Trump supporter stepped up to the microphone yelling and screaming that everything has been fixed. The Trumpie left and the official calmly asked, "Where was I?" There also have been accounts of PA election workers being escorted to their cars by police because of physical threats.

Election workers should be applauded for the work they have done. They are obviously under extreme pressure. It starts with the people who are drinking the Trump Kool-Aid. An honest account of election results cannot happen under threat. And Trump has done extreme damage by playing into the anger and frustrations of people who have no confidence in just about anything.

I saw where one ballot counter in Georgia had to go in hiding . Apparently he threw out a set of instructions, and someone took a video of it,  took it to mean he threw out a ballot. His personal information and license plate number went up on the internet. 
 

These people are crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I saw where one ballot counter in Georgia had to go in hiding . Apparently he threw out a set of instructions, and someone took a video of it,  took it to mean he threw out a ballot. His personal information and license plate number went up on the internet. 
 

These people are crazy.

Yes, they are crazy. And if the election was fixed, why has the electoral college been so close? Why did the Dems lose House seats and not get control of the Senate? Oh, I forgot. This has been all about Trump.

The whole campaign will go down in history as a bad reflection on the state of the country. We will have a long way to repair the damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Beast said:

This thread is the perfect autopsy of how a political discussion could work on Soxtalk. Aside from the trolls that have appeared at times, this thread didn’t really get derailed and has helped me understand others perspectives in a more civilized manner than anywhere else. This is the kind of discussion I want to have on social media but can’t because it is all about mudslinging and gaslighting. My thought on keeping a thread like this would be one thread for politics, where it can be locked to cool off temperatures and have swift and decisive action for people who get out of hand.

In terms of getting back to the discussion, I am really going to be curious how Biden can work with McConnell to get the stimulus package done and pass other pieces of legislation, like a health care public option, immigration reform, criminal justice reform or at the very minimum, an infrastructure bill. And, will moderate republicans like Romney, Murkowski and Collins vote with Democrats on any of these initiatives should they be called for a vote?

Just think of this - if Mitch McConnell says there will be none of that, the Affordable Care Act is launched by the Supreme Court and 20 million people lose health insurance, and bills that would pass the senate if he allowed votes continue to languish, will you blame Mitch alone and become more radical and one sided in your anger, or will you blame both sides for not coming together? Because if one person can stop everything and in the process you blame his opposition, his work will have been extremely effective.

we have seen this before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love people that cant comprehend how you can vote for GOP senators and not vote for Trump.   That is essentially what should have happened in every state.  I think the presidential options were very weak so keep congress split. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Yes, they are crazy. And if the election was fixed, why has the electoral college been so close? Why did the Dems lose House seats and not get control of the Senate? Oh, I forgot. This has been all about Trump.

The whole campaign will go down in history as a bad reflection on the state of the country. We will have a long way to repair the damage.

We have a rich and thriving pool of ignorance to draw upon. It is what makes this country grate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I love people that cant comprehend how you can vote for GOP senators and not vote for Trump.   That is essentially what should have happened in every state.  I think the presidential options were very weak so keep congress split. 

 

Hard to find daylight between the two nowadays 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pcq said:

Polls can be biased because they tend to under-represent folks not fond of readin' and ritin'. Those who respond tend to be older and educated. There may be a correlation with Qanon whose members distrust msm. 

Once races are over I will be curious to see how off the polls were for individual races. I tend to think there is a lot of lying with poll responses to try and throw off the polls. 

This might be wrong, but I think for some people, being a Trump supporter is something that they can belong to, like a club or cult, or they think he’s a star that they idolize. Qanon is more on its own, I don’t know but I don’t think a lot of Trump supporters believe the theory and that it is a fringe movement that has hitched itself to his base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just think of this - if Mitch McConnell says there will be none of that, the Affordable Care Act is launched by the Supreme Court and 20 million people lose health insurance, and bills that would pass the senate if he allowed votes continue to languish, will you blame Mitch alone and become more radical and one sided in your anger, or will you blame both sides for not coming together? Because if one person can stop everything and in the process you blame his opposition, his work will have been extremely effective.

we have seen this before.

I’ll blame McConnell, easily. I don’t know all of the senate rules but how can one person control the direction of the entire senate? I know this has happened since 2013 (at least) but at least the margins are closer. I also wonder what motivates McConnell in terms of what he gets in negotiations or if he truly wants to stall until the 2022 races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’ll blame McConnell, easily. I don’t know all of the senate rules but how can one person control the direction of the entire senate? I know this has happened since 2013 (at least) but at least the margins are closer. I also wonder what motivates McConnell in terms of what he gets in negotiations or if he truly wants to stall until the 2022 races.

He explained it personally in 2010. He would destroy the entire senate it if helped make Obama a 1 term president. 

Under the Senate Rules, the Majority Leader decides what bills are taken up, sent to committee, and brought to the floor for votes. The only way to change those rules is to have a different majority in charge, and even then it's tough.

He got his reward - 25% of the total judge spots in the government were filled in the last 4 years, including 33% of the Supreme Court, because he shut down the judicial system rather than let a Democrat fill the seats. It has been extremely effective, and he's rewarded handsomely for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hard to find daylight between the two nowadays 

I don't think that's true.

The biggest issue with Trump is character. The racism, the braggadocio, the conspiracy theories, the name calling, the pettiness, etc.

Additionally, this character oozes into his policies as well. I support border control but it needs to be humane. We can secure our borders while treating future illegal immigrants with fairness and humanity. We can deal likewise with illegals who are already here (reasonable pathways to citizenship, with due process abiding deportation for otherwise violent criminals). Multiple witnesses have stated that Trump actually gets off on the cruelty aspect (referencing Miles Taylor here).

Some GOP congressmen and women are clowns. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Greene come to mind. But Tim Scott, Mitt Romney, Ben Sasse, and others have done a good job of maintaining their dignity and integrity despite idiocy at the top of the ticket. John Cornyn, for one, has worked to secure a permanent legislative solution for DACA recipients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

I don't think that's true.

The biggest issue with Trump is character. The racism, the braggadocio, the conspiracy theories, the name calling, the pettiness, etc.

Additionally, this character oozes into his policies as well. I support border control but it needs to be humane. We can secure our borders while treating future illegal immigrants with fairness and humanity. We can deal likewise with illegals who are already here (reasonable pathways to citizenship, with due process abiding deportation for otherwise violent criminals). Multiple witnesses have stated that Trump actually gets off on the cruelty aspect (referencing Miles Taylor here).

Some GOP congressmen and women are clowns. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Greene come to mind. But Tim Scott, Mitt Romney, Ben Sasse, and others have done a good job of maintaining their dignity and integrity despite idiocy at the top of the ticket. John Cornyn, for one, has worked to secure a permanent legislative solution for DACA recipients.

How much does it matter if a couple senators, such as Cornyn, publicly say they're for something like DACA, but then they support Mitch McConnell and McConnell prevents a vote on any bills that would end it? You're giving them credit for things they're saying publicly when they're actively taking steps that prevent those things from happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×