2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

In the short term, I am not too concerned about Trump getting any results overturned. Biden clearly won the electoral college and we are not a nation that elects presidents based on the popular vote. 

In the near term, I think the Georgia senate races will be competitive, even though I don’t see the Democrats getting both of the seats. They could net one if turnout goes their way, although they haven’t had a Democratic senator since 2003. The prize would be Ossoff winning since the special election is only for two years.

In the long term, I’m a bit disturbed by the fact that Trump can power super PACs, continue to spread misinformation about voter fraud and cast doubt on our elections and that his party has bought into this and Trump as their approach moving forward.

Jr. and his girlfriend who allegedly offered lap dances for the biggest contributions, are trying to take over the RNC. Supposedly they need an insider there as the grift is so large, a newcomer could expose it.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the lack of concession is about money. His remaining time in office is something entirely different and probably much more dangerous.

In the end, he will probably pardon himself. If he does, I think Biden should pardon himself and Obama considering they have been targets of phony crime accusations, and watch Fox News anchors have aneurisms. 

He can't pardon himself from state crimes. He can probably do so for the obstruction, but can you imagine what the headlines will be the next day? He'll be daring New York to go after him, and conveniently I can now write the state's attorney general as a voting constituent :)

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

What has changed Greg? It might be time you get your news from a different channel.

It's all politically slanted nowadays depending on the network. I actually don't watch any TV except live sports games and SNL. I do a youtube update on my phone every morning and will watch short clips of Tucker Carlson, Hannity or Laura while breakfasting if any of the headlines grab my interest ... I also will check CNN and FOX websites on my phone a few times a day and laugh at the  polar opposite differences in the slant of their stories and what they are actually covering.

I don't trust anybody. Today I see the guy who Fox said revealed cheating at the polls in Nevada, then told CNN he never said there was cheating, now insists there was cheating at the Nevada polls. My radio listening is only Stern. He's that funny. And to show how I don't get worked up about these things, Stern despises everything about Trump's politics, is a huge Biden supporter and it doesn't bother me a bit. I respect his opinion even though I don't agree with him politically most of the time.

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

You are not a lousy American, and you don't have to like Joe or congratulate him. I just get tired of people buying into everything Trump says when he lies 95% of the time. He has damaged the country and he can't leave fast enough. 

Now posts like that help healing instead of people wanting to demand apologies from those who support Trump. Your first sentence was gracious and would heal a lot of bad feelings following the election.

You know a lot of people that support Trump realize he's a bad guy. But there are two sides. I won't list the reasons people would vote against the Democratic candidate because I'd probably get banned. But suffice it to say some people realize Trump is a bad, ruthless, selfish person and still have reasons to punch the ballot in his favor over Joe/Kamala or as some allege Kamala/Joe.

Posts like yours would help the healing process as Joe called it instead of people like AOC wanting to get public apologies from those who backed Trump. Ralph on the Stern show said he'd never speak to any of his friends or relatives again if they voted for Trump. Too harsh when both sides have problems.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's all politically slanted nowadays depending on the network. I actually don't watch any TV except live sports games and SNL. I do a youtube update on my phone every morning and will watch short clips of Tucker Carlson, Hannity or Laura while breakfasting if any of the headlines grab my interest ... I also will check CNN and FOX websites on my phone a few times a day and laugh at the  polar opposite differences in the slant of their stories and what they are actually covering.

I don't trust anybody. Today I see the guy who Fox said revealed cheating at the polls in Nevada, then told CNN he never said there was cheating, now insists there was cheating at the Nevada polls. My radio listening is only Stern. He's that funny. And to show how I don't get worked up about these things, Stern despises everything about Trump's politics, is a huge Biden supporter and it doesn't bother me a bit. I respect his opinion even though I don't agree with him politically most of the time.

Yes, but if you listen to these guys, doesn't this video kind of tell you that they either  were full of shit in 2018 or are full of shit now?  You laugh at polar opposites between Fox and CNN, what about between Fox 2018 and Fox 2020?

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but if you listen to these guys, doesn't this video kind of tell you that they either  were full of shit in 2018 or are full of shit now?  You laugh at polar opposites between Fox and CNN, what about between Fox 2018 and Fox 2020?

Yeah I watched that clip just now.. I agree after watching that they are full of it and talking out of both sides of their mouths depending on what benefits their side. I would agree with you that they are biased. Why do I watch their clips then? I dunno. I think I tend to agree a lot with their takes on issues as they come up. I agree with you though; they obviously are biased on this issue; ripping Democrats in 2018 and not ripping Republicans for the same thing in 2020. Should they be fired for this? Maybe. This is a bad look for them and could be a fireable offense.

I personally don't spend much time watching any TV thus yes the only time I do check clips it'd be Fox. Cuomo and Lemon make me too angry and I don't do the network political shows or MSNBC. In my limited time, the winners are: The Fox hosts for news snippages, Stern for car entertainment and a little music if I've heard the Stern replay too many times. Rush has lost out; local news shows forget it.

Actually in a perfect world they'd just present the news, but political news coverage has totally changed. These shows are more opinion than straight news. The thing is, some channels won't even cover some of the things that interest me. Fox will, so Fox wins.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's just it.  The feds can't offer a package with the state stuff in it.  Even if he gets pardoned, it doesn't stop NY from tracking him down like a lion on some gazelle.  NY is also FAR from the only entity that wants a piece of this guy.  He is going to get smashed with lawsuits from every angle from all aspects of his personal and professional careers.

If I saw this comment with zero context, I would have figured you were talking about a mid-tier capo for the Gambino family. Pretty sad that this in reference to the President of the United States.

I can't imagine Harry Truman running in 1948 thinking that he needed to win to preserve legal immunity and personal profitability.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So why is he replacing defense and security officials with party loyalists, in positions where their terms will expire in 70 days?

The military has to be prepared in case someone tries to steal the election. 

10 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The electoral college remains the dumbest electoral system in the world

I am very afraid of this. I really don't know why republican is either so loyal or so afraid of him. It's amazing. And scary. 

Hopefully, it won't happen. It would really be a country back breaker if it happens in one state let alone enough to push Trump to stay. 

Perhaps the scariest thing is how easily Trump has controlled the republican party, and they all work for his needs now. Some day, someone a lot smarter than him, someone capable of at least faking empathy, but someone with his same motives is going to come around, and if so many fell for Trump, think what will happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am very afraid of this. I really don't know why republican is either so loyal or so afraid of him. It's amazing. And scary. 

If they do this I hope they are ready for an armed revolt because there is no way that doesn’t end up in mass chaos and violence.

Edited by whitesoxfan99
  • Like 3

I dont really pay attention to the inner workings, but from this article it doesnt seem likely that the Wisconsin Dem electors would choose Trump:

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-elected-its-presidential-electors-this-week-could-a-close-election-subvert-their-role/article_f95ab159-90b2-5f06-8c59-5e86ec8a22cd.html

10 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I dont really pay attention to the inner workings, but from this article it doesnt seem likely that the Wisconsin Dem electors would choose Trump:

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-elected-its-presidential-electors-this-week-could-a-close-election-subvert-their-role/article_f95ab159-90b2-5f06-8c59-5e86ec8a22cd.html

The trick would be using the State Legislatures to replace those electors with Trump electors.

28 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The electoral college remains the dumbest electoral system in the world

I just don't get why we need to have actual people fill the electoral roles. The faithless elector idea is ridiculous. If you win Georgia, you get 16 electoral votes. Period. There shouldn't be any "Will this ceremonial flunky appointed by so-and-so abide by the people of his state and cast his vote for so-and-so? Let's find out!" No way. If Biden wins Georgia, then the Trumpiest dude appointed by Kemp goes up there and casts his vote for Biden. If he tries anything else, the supervisor of the process says, "No, idiot, that's not how this works." Then he Sparta kicks him out the front door, takes the ballot, and casts it for Biden. Shouldn't be hard.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The trick would be using the State Legislatures to replace those electors with Trump electors.

Based on the article it doesnt really seem possible as they were already selected by the legislature in advance. 

IMO the only play that Trump really has is to refuse to leave and force a confrontation as there is no precedent for that situation. 

The media is allowed to call races again.

Ivanka Trump

@IvankaTrump
·
BREAKING: President Trump and Senate Republicans win Alaska, overwhelmingly and by a massive 20 point spread! Put AK in the books for @realDonaldTrump! Congratulations Senator @DanSullivan_AK! Thank you Alaska!

twitter.com/ap_politics/st…

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Based on the article it doesnt really seem possible as they were already selected by the legislature in advance. 

IMO the only play that Trump really has is to refuse to leave and force a confrontation as there is no precedent for that situation. 

As in, he needs to be dragged out of the White House?

I don't see it. I see him beclowning himself probably up until that day and doing something shameful like skipping the inauguration, but to risk getting himself hurt in an assuredly futile physical confrontation? No way.

1 minute ago, Danny Dravot said:

I don't see it. I see him beclowning himself probably up until that day and doing something shameful like skipping the inauguration, but to risk getting himself hurt in an assuredly futile physical confrontation? No way.

I dont think its probable. I am just speculating about what would (imo) be the only play for Trump if he wants to retain power based on the current facts as we know them. Which is that he simply refuses to leave, keeps claiming he is President and tries to use the military to support him. All of his actions recently (firing Esper etc) would assist him in refusing to transfer power. 

3 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

I guess Trump goes to Mar a Lago for Christmas every year and usually doesn't come back until around January 5th. There is a lot of speculation this time, he just doesn't come back at all.