Pro Tony La Russa Hiring Poster Here

KnightsOnMintSt

I wasn’t a fan of Tony LaRussa the first time around for a variety of reasons, and was happy the day he was let go by Hawk.  In fact, at the time, I thought his successor, Jim Fregosi, was a far better manager.  Unfortunately for Fregosi he presided over a really lousy White Sox team in his short time with the organization from ‘86 thru ‘88.

That said, if we have to live through this twilight bromance between Reinsdorf and LaRussa at the end of their respective lines, it becomes passable IF Reinsdorf spends cash like a major market owner for once, to put the finishing touches on this rebuilt roster, and IF LaRussa surrounds himself with the right coaching staff that can help bridge the generational gap between him and the players.  

That’s why I was glad to hear the other dinosaur, Dave Duncan, would not be the new pitching coach (or old new pitching coach).  Get both a younger pitching coach (maybe two pitching coaches - Stone has been making a lot of noise on this front) and see where a change could be made with the Nick Capras, Joe McEwings and/or Daryl Boston’s of the world to bring in someone more relatable to our young Latin players.  

It probably won’t be McEwing, though, as he and LaRussa were very close during their time together in St. Louis, speaking of bromances.  

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

I wasn’t a fan of Tony LaRussa the first time around for a variety of reasons, and was happy the day he was let go by Hawk.  In fact, at the time, I thought his successor, Jim Fregosi, was a far better manager.  Unfortunately for Fregosi he presided over a really lousy White Sox team in his short time with the organization from ‘86 thru ‘88.

That said, if we have to live through this twilight bromance between Reinsdorf and LaRussa at the end of their respective lines, it becomes passable IF Reinsdorf spends cash like a major market owner for once, to put the finishing touches on this rebuilt roster, and IF LaRussa surrounds himself with the right coaching staff that can help bridge the generational gap between him and the players.  

That’s why I was glad to hear the other dinosaur, Dave Duncan, would not be the new pitching coach (or old new pitching coach).  Get both a younger pitching coach (maybe two pitching coaches - Stone has been making a lot of noise on this front) and see where a change could be made with the Nick Capras, Joe McEwings and/or Daryl Boston’s of the world to bring in someone more relatable to our young Latin players.  

It probably won’t be McEwing, though, as he and LaRussa were very close during their time together in St. Louis, speaking of bromances.  

Bravo.

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

TLR needs to address his political statements if he is hired to be coach. This being said, I think he'd be a great hire for our team. He is a great manager and would bring national attention and respect to our team. If he is hired, I assume he'd be on board with today's game and grooming a future replacement. I also think that he could encourage Jerry to spend money as they'd love to finish what they started in the 70's before they leave. For me the only other realistic option is AJ Hinch, as I think Bochy won't unretire. 

No he doesn't. Whether I agree, you agree or anyone else agrees with him his right as an American is to have his own beliefs and opinions. That being said please God keep TLR away from this team

• Like 3

1 hour ago, getonbckthr said:

No he doesn't. Whether I agree, you agree or anyone else agrees with him his right as an American is to have his own beliefs and opinions. That being said please God keep TLR away from this team

He is against players kneeling during the anthem and says he would keep them in the clubhouse. We have guys that kneel. 

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ahhh, the age old free speech debate. 

It’s incredibly simple. Tony La Russa has every right to hold his own beliefs, opinions and and thoughts on any topic he chooses. So do you. So do I. But our choices have consequences. If a potential hire had sentimental thoughts on the H man, would you say the same thing? He wouldn’t have to at least address his stance on what happened in Germany? Would you want that person as the manager on your favorite team? 

“Free Speech” isn’t without consequence. 

Uhmmm did you really just jump to someone supporting hitler? 

Edited by ChiSox1917

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

If the argument is no one has to explain themselves for their thoughts or opinions, why does Hitler matter in this instance? Are we now saying certain opinions should be explained or answered for? Because then you would be agreeing with me...

I don't think he "has" to say anything to the fans. Who he has to explain his positions to are the owner, GM, and players.

I highly doubt the organization is going to hire someone they have concerns about working with their players. Just really comes across as a non-issue being pushed by posters on this board that personally take issue with his politics. 

Just now, Tony said:

It comes across that way to you, because you don’t care about the feelings of the players who do kneel, and you agree with the stance of TLR. Let’s just call it for what it is. 

Imagine being an adult and thinking that having a different opinion on an issue means that the other person doesn't care or acknowledge your feelings. You sound like a child. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Imagine being an adult and thinking that having a different opinion on an issue means that the other person doesn't care or acknowledge your feelings. You sound like a child. 

Not just having a different opinion, but he's enforcing his political views on the players he manages, e.g. he had went on record and said he would forbid them from kneeling during the anthem and sending back to the clubhouse. That's far more than just having a different opinion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Yes your ignorant view on kneeling means exactly that; "you don't care" about the feelings of those whom the system oppresses.

Lets not get political though; no sense in that, your baseball opinions and thoughts are hot enough to keep the ridicule flowing freely your way.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Not just having a different opinion, but he's enforcing his political views on the players he manages, e.g. he had went on record and said he would forbid them from kneeling during the anthem and sending back to the clubhouse. That's far more than just having a different opinion.

He hasn't enforced anything. Jumping the gun here bud

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not sure someone of Reinsdorfs age ever considers his nuts on the line. Every morning he can be vertical is the most joyous part of his day.

when your that old your nuts always tend to be resting on one line or another.

• Like 1

IIRC correctly, Anderson was the only player to kneel.  I get that he is Black, but no other player or coach joined in support?

Is it possible that the remainder of the team believes kneeling during the anthem is wrong?  Is it possible the Cuban / Latinx players feel incredibly blessed and lucky to be here, and therefore respect the US despite its many flaws, as they recognize the far worse alternatives from being exposed to them?  Or maybe they want to be baseball players on the White Sox time, and activists on their own time?

Assuming the entire team is opposed to TLR's anthem stance is extremely simplistic and probably extremely wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

IIRC correctly, Anderson was the only player to kneel.  I get that he is Black, but no other player or coach joined in support?

Is it possible that the remainder of the team believes kneeling during the anthem is wrong?  Is it possible the Cuban / Latinx players feel incredibly blessed and lucky to be here, and therefore respect the US despite its many flaws, as they recognize the far worse alternatives from being exposed to them?  Or maybe they want to be baseball players on the White Sox time, and activists on their own time?

Assuming the entire team is opposed to TLR's anthem stance is extremely simplistic and probably extremely wrong.

Not true, 7 players knelt including Anderson, Abreu, Jimenez, Robert, and Fry

• Thanks 1

I'm all for Tony. He can be a crabby, mean guy, but I see it as karma. Hawk never should have fired him. Now he wins a couple WS titles with the Sox. He's a brilliant baseball mind and he can disregard the parts of analytics that are ridiculous. Hiring the Astros scandal guy would be awful in my mind. I want the Sox to be lovable, not despised by every fan outside of chicago. Tony!!

p.s. In a perfect world, Ozzie could come back but he's the mouth that roared. Ozzie has nobody to blame but himself for saying all those controversial things in his past days in baseball.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1