Pro Tony La Russa Hiring Poster Here

KnightsOnMintSt

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Who the hell is Bruce Maxwell?

No idea but it doesn't really matter.  Tony is literally on record as of this year saying he doesn't support it.  He's going to have people that defend him which is fine and dandy but his own words suggest otherwise.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I find it almost amazing especially on talk radio about how people are talking about LaRussa.  I am not a fan of this move but other than trying to pry Francona out of Cleveland or looking into Bochy I'm not sure what other avenue there was.  A few bench coaches may have been better but that is a roll of the dice.  Maybe Ozzie would have been better I don't know.

I am not certain if Bochy is bi-lingual but I think the White Sox need that more than anything in a manager with this roster.

In all the angst I think some folks are losing of site of the fact the guy gets the best out of his teams.  He isn't going to be here long term but watching the Sox last year I think there is a need for a person to tighten things up and he will do that. 

He wasn't winning with the large revenue teams and free agent signings annually.  He did have superstars but he also was able to gets his talent to mesh very well.  I think he will get the best out of the younger players as well as the veterans and the Sox are better this morning than they were yesterday morning.  I think he will put players in a position to succeed not just roll them out there because they are veterans.

I am not certain that Hahn is on board with this move but this is move that makes his job easier.  LaRussa will use the talent accordingly and will have a more vocal presence in their usage. LaRussa can mange analytics, feel and his staff together to make things work.   I think guys like Vaughan and Madrigal will reap greater benefits due to having more well rounded approaches.  I also feel that Moncada, Jimenez and Robert can all reach superstar level.  These guys will be used and managed in a manner that will get the best out of them.

Tony has the voice to get players to succeed and that is what they need.  Maybe Hinch and Cora could do that, who know but LaRussa has done it for 20+ years.  He is a great stopgap to get the team to point C and I still hope Francona is here next.  

LaRussa did it for 33 years and 5,000+ games. But other than that correction, well said. 

1 hour ago, Rowand44 said:

No idea but it doesn't really matter.  Tony is literally on record as of this year saying he doesn't support it.  He's going to have people that defend him which is fine and dandy but his own words suggest otherwise.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29414410/the-exile-oakland-bruce-maxwell-birth-mlb-black-player-movement

Guess that already DQs this team from winning anything, may as well fire sale

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Who the hell is Bruce Maxwell?

On September 23, 2017, Maxwell became the first MLB player to join other US athletes protesting racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem;[12] Maxwell placed his hand over his heart, and teammate Mark Canha stood next to Maxwell and put a hand on his shoulder in support.[13] Maxwell's actions came in response to President Donald Trump's comments that professional football franchise owners should fire players who knelt during the anthem. On Twitter and through his agent, Maxwell said his decision to kneel represented concern for racial injustice as well as freedom of speech and exercise of peaceful protest.[14] The Oakland Athletics immediately issued a statement saying the team "pride ourselves on being inclusive" and supports "players' constitutional rights and freedom of expression."[13] While supported by the A's, Maxwell's future career in the MLB was seen as impacted by the reaction to his kneeling.[15] He remained the only MLB player to protest by kneeling until 2020, when the league allowed for "Black Lives Matter" patches and organized league-wide kneeling for social justice in the aftermath of the nationwide protests of the death of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis.[16]

On 10/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, greg775 said:

I'm all for Tony. He can be a crabby, mean guy, but I see it as karma. Hawk never should have fired him. Now he wins a couple WS titles with the Sox. He's a brilliant baseball mind and he can disregard the parts of analytics that are ridiculous. Hiring the Astros scandal guy would be awful in my mind. I want the Sox to be lovable, not despised by every fan outside of chicago. Tony!!

p.s. In a perfect world, Ozzie could come back but he's the mouth that roared. Ozzie has nobody to blame but himself for saying all those controversial things in his past days in baseball.

So bring in the steroid enabler...?

On 10/29/2020 at 9:22 AM, ThirdGen said:

IIRC correctly, Anderson was the only player to kneel.  I get that he is Black, but no other player or coach joined in support?

Is it possible that the remainder of the team believes kneeling during the anthem is wrong?  Is it possible the Cuban / Latinx players feel incredibly blessed and lucky to be here, and therefore respect the US despite its many flaws, as they recognize the far worse alternatives from being exposed to them?  Or maybe they want to be baseball players on the White Sox time, and activists on their own time?

Assuming the entire team is opposed to TLR's anthem stance is extremely simplistic and probably extremely wrong.

Well said!