MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Dahl for 3 mill is nice. Good move by Rangers.

As much as I would have liked Dahl on the White Sox or that price, I'm not sure that there was room. I don't even know if I would have rather had Dahl over Eaton... Dahl hasn't been good.

Too many health issues

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Dahl for 3 mill is nice. Good move by Rangers.

As much as I would have liked Dahl on the White Sox or that price, I'm not sure that there was room. I don't even know if I would have rather had Dahl over Eaton... Dahl hasn't been good.

No doubt in my mind that a healthy Dahl is far superior than what Eaton brings. But that's just it, Dahl appears to be made of glass.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Good deal for both.  Dahl will get plenty of opportunities to play and DH'ing should help keep him healthy.  This is the kind of low risk/high reward moves teams like the Rangers should be making.  

It's Detroit btw. He made a mistake.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nice pickup for the Tigers, so far they seem to be having an excellent offseason.

it was the Rangers. The sorry Detroit was because a bunch of fans were campaigning with the hashtag #DahltoDetroit and kept spamming it at Passan 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Would you guys have been ok with that deal with Dahl being our starting RF?

And if not, then Dahl isn’t taking that deal with us when he can take the same deal with another team and actually start. 

I just find it interesting that an older player with lesser tools / lower ceiling who has been injured almost as much over the past few seasons was able to land a deal for twice as much money.  I do think Eaton has the higher floor year, but don’t think that warrants $4M more in salary.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just find it interesting that an older player with lesser tools / lower ceiling who has been injured almost as much over the past few seasons was able to land a deal for twice as much money.  I do think Eaton has the higher floor year, but don’t think that warrants $4M more in salary.

Yeah, I get that. I’m just way more comfortable with Eaton as our starting RF than Dahl. But I totally understand the concerns. 

If we were hypothetically only given two options for our starting RF, and the options were Dahl for $3M or Eaton for $7M, I’m taking Eaton without hesitation. 

• Like 1

Meh, I like the price tag more than the player on Dahl. Away from Coors field, he's very ordinary. And he's always injured.

Going to a rebuilding, second division team like Detroit is exactly the sort of place he, Mazara, and Rodon need(ed) to go. The need(ed) to show that they can be healthy, and can play at this level.

Unreliable and/or underperforming and/or oft injured players like Dahl/Mazara/Rodon have no business on a win now team. Rebuilding teams like Detroit  can and do get bargains in FA when you're looking at talented, but in some way flawed FAs like these three.

15 hours ago, aeichhor said:

Well I was wrong with my theory that he wouldn't sign til February because of his recovery from his latest injury .If he can pass a physical now after the surgery on his throwing shoulder that's a good sign. His arb. number was projected to be slightly less than $3M.

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Many forum members are underestimating Eaton IMO.

That may be but then again it's always the case with injury prone guys or guys who put up inconsistent numbers. No one really wants a project now. They want a quality major leaguer . My guess is that less than half of the 30 teams have a higher payroll than last year . The Sox will be one of them but they aren't going to go hog wild. My 2nd guess is that the Sox will be among the top 5 teams either in the amount of money exceeding last years payroll or at least one of the highest by percentage of money exceeding last years payroll.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That may be but then again it's always the case with injury prone guys or guys who put up inconsistent numbers. No one really wants a project now. They want a quality major leaguer . My guess is that less than half of the 30 teams have a higher payroll than last year . The Sox will be one of them but they aren't going to go hog wild. My 2nd guess is that the Sox will be among the top 5 teams either in the amount of money exceeding last years payroll or at least one of the highest by percentage of money exceeding last years payroll.

Quite probably.

15 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man $3M for Dahl would have been a home run.

He really wasn't going to get more than that. His projected arb. number was slightly less than $3M and he supposedly was still recovering from surgery on his throwing shoulder to clean up and repair a bunch of stuff they found wrong in there.

This is what I suggested  in the closed  Off Season Targets thread:

So perhaps a 2 year contact for $6-7M but incentives giving him a chance to earn $1M more in 2021 and $3M more in 2022 plus team options for a 3rd and 4th year with a  higher pay scale  or buyout .

It's a better offer than the Texas one and with the 2nd year and incentives I put in it . But Dahl had that shoulder surgery and he may be more suited to LF now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside