MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

2019: Fastball - 51.5% slider - 21.0% curveball - 18.5% changeup - 8.9%

2020: Fastball - 47.8% slider - 30.1% curveball - 9.3% change of - 12.7%

Crazy that he threw half as many curveballs in 2020 as he did in 2019, and replaced that usage with sliders. Was this by Coop's design?

When every pitcher abandons their curve when it’s their best secondary coming up through the minors, it’s pretty easy to blame on Cooper.

55 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

2019: Fastball - 51.5% slider - 21.0% curveball - 18.5% changeup - 8.9%

2020: Fastball - 47.8% slider - 30.1% curveball - 9.3% change of - 12.7%

Crazy that he threw half as many curveballs in 2020 as he did in 2019, and replaced that usage with sliders. Was this by Coop's design?

I don't know if you re reading your own stats wrong or I am. According to what you are showing he threw a higher percentage of curves of his total pitches . SO he actually threw 30.1 % curves in 2020 as opposed to 21.0 % in 2019, so he threw  more curves percentage wise.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know if you re reading your own stats wrong or I am. According to what you are showing he threw a higher percentage of curves of his total pitches . SO he actually threw 30.1 % curves in 2020 as opposed to 21.0 % in 2019, so he threw  more curves percentage wise.

You’re reading it wrong, percentages are to the right of the pitch type.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's his slider. Curveball went from 18.5% to 9.3%

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 6:03 PM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Why would Cease want to start throwing this pitch again? He doesn't need it.

BigheartedCreamyChamois-size_restricted.

ConventionalWindyChipmunk-size_restricte

KindlyWaryDwarfrabbit-size_restricted.gi

PortlyShamefulBilby-size_restricted.gif

IndelibleHauntingIvorybackedwoodswallow-

AshamedPeriodicHorsefly-size_restricted.

EducatedThirstyArgentinehornedfrog-size_

Does anyone have Cease’s strike % with his curveball last year.  

I rarely remember him starting a curveball in the zone, let alone keeping one in the zone.  

His curveball was a complete non-factor last season.  You’re not going to get too many major league hitters chasing a ball spinning like crazy that’s already a foot outside.  This was even more true with two strikes.  Hence his shockingly low SO numbers.

I honestly couldn’t stand watching him pitch last season.  Cooper might have something to do with less curveballs, but it’s safe to assume they started calling less curveballs because he wouldn’t/couldn’t throw it in the zone.  The only effect it seemed to have was getting behind in the count, waking hitters, high pitch counts.

It’s a shame because it’s an absolutely wipe out pitch if he starts it in the zone.  I’m not nearly as high on him as I am on Kopech, but I’m not giving up that he could be a 2/3 who will completely dominate a good amount of starts a year.  

Very interested to see what Katz does with these guys.  

Edited by Sambuca

9 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The curveball discrepancy is even worse with Lopez. From 25% to approaching zero

Lopez is a shell of what he was when the Sox acquired him.  He also hasn’t seemed healthy.

Hopefully his stuff returns if they move him to the pen.

This could be nothing, but did anyone else notice how much Collins was calling curveballs in Dunning’s debut and they were absolute hammers and a wipe out pitch.  After that start, his curveball seemed to play a much smaller role, and didn’t have the same movement.   Maybe his arm was just tiring out though.

An equally frustrating thing with Cooper over his entire tenure was hearing about a prospect who throws upper 90s come up and top out at 93.   

Cooper definitely didn’t have issues helping pitchers be successful, but he was a stuff-killer.  Things are different now, pitchers need to play with their best stuff.  Pitchers definitely do not need their stuff suppressed, they need a coach who can help make their stuff better.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Lopez is a shell of what he was when the Sox acquired him.  He also hasn’t seemed healthy.

Hopefully his stuff returns if they move him to the pen.

This could be nothing, but did anyone else notice how much Collins was calling curveballs in Dunning’s debut and they were absolute hammers and a wipe out pitch.  After that start, his curveball seemed to play a much smaller role, and didn’t have the same movement.   Maybe his arm was just tiring out though.

An equally frustrating thing with Cooper over his entire tenure was hearing about a prospect who throws upper 90s come up and top out at 93.   

Cooper definitely didn’t have issues helping pitchers be successful, but he was a stuff-killer.  Things are different now, pitchers need to play with their best stuff.  Pitchers definitely do not need their stuff suppressed, they need a coach who can help make their stuff better.  

Very hopeful that we have one of those coaches in Katz.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Continue to think that what people think dombrowski is, vs the things he actually does has a big schizm. DD is 'old school', yet now hires as GM a young, unproven guy who is known for his application of modern analytics into the clubhouse?

Also - gotta be pretty weird for Girardi to have this guy suddenly become your boss after being somewhat of just an assistant coach.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Continue to think that what people think dombrowski is, vs the things he actually does has a big schizm. DD is 'old school', yet now hires as GM a young, unproven guy who is known for his application of modern analytics into the clubhouse?

Also - gotta be pretty weird for Girardi to have this guy suddenly become your boss after being somewhat of just an assistant coach.

First Chris Young now Sam Fuld.  This is where baseball is heading.  They finally figured out that having non-baseball people making basball decisions is a bad thing.  Baseball people who also understand analytics and can explain and apply them in a practical way is where this thing is going and I for one say thank f'ing god.  

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

First Chris Young now Sam Fuld.  This is where baseball is heading.  They finally figured out that having non-baseball people making basball decisions is a bad thing.  Baseball people who also understand analytics and can explain and apply them in a practical way is where this thing is going and I for one say thank f'ing god.  

It may have been a necessary transition, but I'm glad it's now swinging back to the players developing into front office.

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Define “baseball people” because the guy who hired Chris Young to be GM and still ultimately runs the Rangers’ baseball operations probably does not meet your definition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

It may have been a necessary transition, but I'm glad it's now swinging back to the players developing into front office.

So you don't like non ex-players in the Front Office?  You sound like Hawk.  He fired everyone who wasn't an ex-player.  And as a GM, Hawk was a great announcer.  He was not very good as a GM.  There are others, too.  Conversely, there are many great Front  Office execs who never played professionally.  The Dodgers sure like their guy.  Tampa has done well with non-jocks.  Some people say Branch Rickey was successful.

• Like 2