MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I've heard this story before. Make an offer and wait for another team to get our guy. If this is indeed true, there is no reason that we can't sign Brantley. 

Kinda like how we whiffed on our "offer" for Machado and didn't even make an attempt for Harper?

I really do believe a lot of this is smoke being blown up our ass and the "2nd place" JR theory at this point.

39 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why would we ever want Ed Howard out of all the possible players we could net for Kopech/Vaughn???

Also considering the sox had a chance to draft Howard.  If they wanted him that bad they would have him.  That post makes absolutely no sense.  

Edited by Sox80
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why would we ever want Ed Howard out of all the possible players we could net for Kopech/Vaughn???

Why not trade one of our most important pitchers plus a top 20 prospect who will likely be major league ready next year for a high school prospect who is years away from helping when we’re entering our competing window?  It makes perfect sense to me!

• Like 2

Wondering if Yermin will see some DH duty pending Vaughn's arrival or will the Sox be shopping for another candidate. This seems to be one of the few remaining issues outside of pitching. Still hoping they pick up Q. 

Edited by pcq
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

I wonder what it might take to get the Cubs to trade Ed Howard?  Something like Kopech plus Vaughn ?

"Ok Rick, you can get your pick of basically any major leaguer for Kopech and Vaughn."

"Ed Howard."

Wait, what?"

"Ed. Howard."

"The kid doesn't have any professional at bats yet. You don't want, like, Snell? Castillo?"

"ACE program for life."

"I mean, if you're dead set on the Cubs, at least toss in Darvish?"

"You're right. I better give them Crochet as well."

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, tray said:

I wonder what it might take to get the Cubs to trade Ed Howard?  Something like Kopech plus Vaughn ?

I simply asked what it might take to get Ed Howard and opined what the Cubs might demand.

Despite that a few of you personally excoriated me like I am some kind of stupid mofo.

Are you people alright?   What triggered you? Are you really that self absorbed, looking to one up an anonymous poster, or are you just that angry.

Trust me, your responses rolled off me like water off a duck and I will not nor do I ever respond in kind with hostile personal responses. If you choose to escalate this, go ahead but I am out on this thread after I say one more thing to explain why I inquired about Ed Howard.

Remember the White Sox passing on Howard....

"White Sox are well positioned to make a big splash in tonight’s draft. They have to at least be strongly tempted to use the 11th pick overall on the best position player prospect from Chicago in years, Mount Carmel High shortstop Ed Howard. 

Howard has been on their radar since he led the Jackie Robinson West team to a title in the Little League World Series. He has spent time in the Amateur City Elite program run by the White Sox, which helps inner city players hone both the baseball skills and academics necessary to attend college.

Recently Howard has been mentored by Sox shortstop Tim Anderson, who he told the Athletic’s James Fegan is his favorite player. "

So, yes,  I still want a kid from the South Side, a Sox fan who came up in the White Sox Amatuer program.

As far as what it might take, that is merely conjecture.  I think the Cubs might want Vaughn plus another high level prospect. In my opinion, Rick Hahn and the Sox made a mistake in not selecting Howard.  I think they may have made another mistake in taking Vaughn, a one dimensional player who  I do not believe can play defense at the major league level at any position , including first base.  And he cannot run the bases.  Well,  time will tell on those picks.

Meanwhile, the Cubs might have a need for a DH with the departure of Kyle Schwarber, but Howard is probably viewed as a more valuable asset than Vaughn at this point, by a lot. That is why they might want additional compensation in a potential  trade.  I think they would probably want a pitcher and they might start asking for a top pitching prospect like Kopech or Burdi or Stiever.

I am just a life long loyal White Sox fan putting a scenario out to try to encourage friendly conversation during the off-season. IMHO strictly as a fan, I would like to see the Sox open a conversation with the Cubs about Howard and see where it might go, because I think Howard fits better on the South side.

Well, nice talk here, as usual.

Anyway, magnanimously wishing all White Sox fans and their families good health, peace and prosperity , as well as a World Series Championship in 2021.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tray said:

I simply asked what it might take to get Ed Howard and opined what the Cubs might demand.

Despite that a few of you personally excoriated me like I am some kind of stupid mofo.

Are you people alright?   What triggered you? Are you really that self absorbed, looking to one up an anonymous poster, or are you just that angry.

Trust me, your responses rolled off me like water off a duck and I will not nor do I ever respond in kind with hostile personal responses. If you choose to escalate this, go ahead but I am out on this thread after I say one more thing to explain why I inquired about Ed Howard.

"White Sox are well positioned to make a big splash in tonight’s draft. They have to at least be strongly tempted to use the 11th pick overall on the best position player prospect from Chicago in years, Mount Carmel High shortstop Ed Howard. 

Howard has been on their radar since he led the Jackie Robinson West team to a title in the Little League World Series. He has spent time in the Amateur City Elite program run by the White Sox, which helps inner city players hone both the baseball skills and academics necessary to attend college.

Recently Howard has been mentored by Sox shortstop Tim Anderson, who he told the Athletic’s James Fegan is his favorite player. "

So, yes,  I still want a kid from the South Side, a Sox fan who came up in the White Sox Amatuer program.

As far as what it might take, that is merely conjecture.  I think the Cubs might want Vaughn plus another high level prospect. In my opinion, Rick Hahn and the Sox made a mistake in not selecting Howard.  I think they may have made another mistake in taking Vaughn, a one dimensional player who  I do not believe can play defense at the major league level at any position , including first base.  And he cannot run the bases.  Well,  time will tell on those picks.

Meanwhile, the Cubs might have a need for a DH with the departure of Kyle Schwarber, but Howard is probably viewed a a more valuable asset than Vaughn, by a lot. That is why they would want additional compensation in trade.  They would probably want a pitcher and they might start asking for top prospect like Kopech.

I am just a life long White Soxfan putting a scenario out to try to encourage friendly conversation but IMHO, I would open a conversation with the Cubs about Howard and see where it might go, because I think he fits better on the South side.

Nice talk here, as usual.

Anyway, magnanimously wishing all White Sox fans and their families good health, peace and prosperity , as well as a World Series Championship in 2021.

I think people here know who Howard is and knows he's a prospect who could develop into something. But no one has a lick of clue why we would want to trade Vaughn, drafted 3rd overall a year before Howard, who is a universally higher ranked prospect by a mile, for howard. But wait, we get to throw in Kopech, who is still a top 30 prospect in his own right. Still don't have a lick of clue after reading this post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I never stated what you claim I did, including that the Sox would want to trade Vaughn or anyone else.

My point was that the Sox might and maybe should want to acquire Howard if that could get done ...for the reasons I stated and I merely wondered what the Cubs might ask.

Again, I don't want to go back and forth on this with aggressive posters but I do not like it when people try to put words in my mouth and spin or mischaracterize what I have written.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Sox thought Howard was the best option, they would have just drafted him. The fact that they didn’t is telling considering he’s a local product with ties to the ACE program. Trading two prospects that are more highly thought of for him doesn’t make any sense.

Two guys that are expected to play an important role on the major league team next year and who will make a combined $1.2M.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tray said:

I never stated what you claim I did, including that the Sox would want to trade Vaughn or anyone else.

My point was that the Sox might and maybe should want to acquire Howard if that could get done ...for the reasons I stated and I merely wondered what the Cubs might ask.

Again, I don't want to go back and forth on this with aggressive posters but I do not like it when people try to put words in my mouth and spin or mischaracterize what I have written.

Howard is YEARS down the road. We are probably talking something like 2024 or so. He isn't a dude who fits our timeline at all. There is zero good reason to give up guys who will help us in 21/22/23 for someone who won't be able to help us for years.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

Meanwhile, the Cubs might have a need for a DH with the departure of Kyle Schwarber, but Howard is probably viewed as a more valuable asset than Vaughn at this point, by a lot. That is why they might want additional compensation in a potential  trade.  I think they would probably want a pitcher and they might start asking for a top pitching prospect like Kopech or Burdi or Stiever.

I am just a life long loyal White Sox fan putting a scenario out to try to encourage friendly conversation during the off-season. IMHO strictly as a fan, I would like to see the Sox open a conversation with the Cubs about Howard and see where it might go, because I think Howard fits better on the South side.

Well, nice talk here, as usual.

I dunno man, don't ask dumb questions and you won't get dumb responses huh?  

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, tray said:

No. Just no.

Trading Kopech and Vaughn for Howard is stupid.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Haha 1